·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Practice what one preaches dear Hmmmuk?

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
137 Posts
Craig, are the solar panel trickle charge that use the OBD port type any good? Do you know if it’s worth getting one of those?
Cheers
I just received my AA solar trickle charger. On first inspection it looks decent quality. It flashes an LED to show you it is making electricity and, thankfully, the instructions say it will not overcharge the battery, which I was a little concerned about. I've fitted it to the OBD plug, so hopefully the battery will stay charged (in the summer).

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,879 Posts
Maybe this information should be in a thread solely for battery charging...
If someone is looking to replace battery there going to be bombarded with information that is irrelevant to replacement..... just saying?

Oh Donna, Donna, Donna, what has the EOC come to in these unusual times?.?

Poacher come gamekeeper 😃😂🤣

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,879 Posts
Where have I seen this? Am a JLR tech ( changed 00’s) and if your battery needs changing and it’s got BMS fitted it must be re-calibrated after a new battery is fitted.
Reason why it’s got 3 month voltage monitor build into the gateway module cjb which remembers driver usage , charging data etc.
If you don’t recalibrate the system will reboot the old data and not carry out the smart charging applied.
Excellent info Craig!
How do you force recalibration of the BMS when a new battery is fitted?

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Well as a certain so one keeps reminding me , I’d just thought I’d point out how easy it is to go off topic... or post useful information on a thread that’s not relevant as I’m often reminded....not that it bothers me or I pay attention just pointing out the fact it’s easily done.....anyway back to battery charging someone might be kind enough to put a link up to where to by the best one from , I case I need one....I will just remember it’s in this thread 😍😍😍

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
I see you bumped another thread - but I'm likely to go for this CTEK.
£73 on Amazon:
CTEK MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic Battery Charger (Charges, Maintains and Reconditions Car and Motorcycle Batteries) 12V, 5 Amp - UK Plug: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
I'll see what messages I get when I use the car this week before deciding...

EDIT:
I think you'll find I only mention getting back on topic when occasionally people start going way off topic most likely not related to the thread or even Range Rover Evoques.

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
CTEK MXS 5.0 is what I have Hmmm, stays connected to the Jag (now SORN'd :( ) but I have had to use on the Evoque once since lockdown started as it cranked quite sloooowly, but no messages!.

If you get it. make sure the mode is AGM and CAR.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just received my AA solar trickle charger. On first inspection it looks decent quality. It flashes an LED to show you it is making electricity and, thankfully, the instructions say it will not overcharge the battery, which I was a little concerned about. I've fitted it to the OBD plug, so hopefully the battery will stay charged (in the summer).
Did you go for the “essentials” charger, or the 4.8v version?

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
137 Posts
Did you go for the “essentials” charger, or the 4.8v version?
It doesn't specify on my box, but the solar panel is 2.4W. Fortunately for me, the connecting cable plugs are the same as on my Black & Decker smart charger, so I can chop and change charging methods as I like.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
Hi @CraigJLR, in the past lots of people here have replaced their own battery with no obvious issues - any comment on this? Perhaps the system is clever enough to cope?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
Don't they all have BMS?
Appreciate TOPIx states to reset, but people don't seem to have problems just replacing the battery.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Lol ...... JLR fleecing tactics😂😂😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't they all have BMS?
Appreciate TOPIx states to reset, but people don't seem to have problems just replacing the battery.
No far from it , there’s many evoques out there without BMS fitted , they have the flooded type fitted ( black in colour )

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
Is the BMS related to having an AGM battery? Which I assume is related to start/stop function, Mine has AGM with start/stop as an early Manual, although it's also black.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Fleecing tactics ha ha , afraid not it’s a successful repair.
There’s plenty of evoques out there that don’t need to be reprogrammed...
JLR charge like a wounded Rhino for everything they can charge for....

·
Registered
455 Posts
It’s not just JLR.
When I got my Peugeot RCZ they charged £50 for diagnostic, which was knocked off the repair cost if you went ahead and got them to do the work.
Now they charge £75 which is not refundable, whatever you do. And that’s the discounted Price for me because I have a service contract with them, or because I have a Peugeot Platinum warranty, I can’t remember which 🥴 (I think the full price is @ £125).
Despite having all the above, every time it’s been in for a service, they always either suggest, or say it ’needs’ something that isn’t covered by either the service contract or the warranty. Funny that 🤔😐

41 - 60 of 72 Posts