Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reading up a bit on BMS systems, it seems that they may calibrate themselves when the vehicle is left for 8 hours or more undisturbed, not sure if this applies to the Evoque but it's very likely a similar system as this is from Ford and the early Evoques have Ford Engines.

Also if you charge the battery, you shouldn't do it directly across the terminals, you should always use the ground point mentioned in the manual, this allows the BMS to detect the charging, you can connect to the positive battery Terminal though.

This also applies if you jump start Another car, link your jump cable to the ground point not the negative battery terminal.
Is this a suitable ground point - the bolt under the bar? What is this bolt for - is it safe to remove it and attach an (M10 OR M8 ??) eyelet connector to it as per the image?

Also is there a similar option to register a battery replacement on the Evoque (the video is for a range rover):

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen it mentioned that the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) needs to be reset after putting in a new Battery, but as to how true this actually is I don't know. But it seems the car will still function after replacing the battery, whether it's doing the right thing for the battery though, i'm not sure.

Would like to know the definitive answer though as into my 6th year now!
I know this is an older thread but I'm in need of advice. We replaced my battery (not at Land Rover) and yes the windows needed recalibrating, found that and fixed, but got home and liftgate wont work now with remote or pushing button unless car is on. Anyone hear of that? Any way to recalibrate liftgate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my battery replaced (Not a Land Rover dealer). I contacted my local LR dealer and they said the system would settle back to normal after a week. I did need to do the window reset but other than that I have had no problems.
Hi! I hope you can answer this...Did they plug in a memory thing on the inside before unplugging old battery? It's similar to the plug to check the diagnostics under inside dash. The place I went to did not have a working one and could not do it. So I left for now. Thank you!
Michele

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen it mentioned that the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) needs to be reset after putting in a new Battery, but as to how true this actually is I don't know. But it seems the car will still function after replacing the battery, whether it's doing the right thing for the battery though, i'm not sure.

Would like to know the definitive answer though as into my 6th year now!
Battery monitoring needs to be reset 100% otherwise the battery will NOT charge correctly

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
142 Posts
From the DS forum:

Periodically the BMS module will instigate a self-calibration
routine. To self-calibrate, the BMS first charges
the battery to its full condition.
Once the battery is fully charged, the BMS will discharge
the battery to approximately 75% of its full state
of charge, but never lower than 12.2 V. The time taken to
complete this part of the routine is dependent on the
electrical load on the vehicle and the length of time the
vehicle is used.
When the second part of the routine has been successfully
completed, the BMS will return the battery to its
optimum level of charge. The optimum level of charge
will be between 12.6 V and 15 V, depending on battery
condition, temperature and electrical loading. This process
is run approximately twice a year.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
Battery monitoring needs to be reset 100% otherwise the battery will NOT charge correctly
Thanks, Can you elaborate, give references to why, where have you seen this fact?

I'm upto 8.5 years now... gonna need a battery eventually!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, Can you elaborate, give references to why, where have you seen this fact?

I'm upto 8.5 years now... gonna need a battery eventually!
Where have I seen this? Am a JLR tech ( changed 00’s) and if your battery needs changing and it’s got BMS fitted it must be re-calibrated after a new battery is fitted.
Reason why it’s got 3 month voltage monitor build into the gateway module cjb which remembers driver usage , charging data etc.
If you don’t recalibrate the system will reboot the old data and not carry out the smart charging applied.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
142 Posts
Thanks for the info Craig. You will be very useful to have around here.
So after the 3 months is up, should it do a self re-calibration anyway ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where have I seen this? Am a JLR tech ( changed 00’s) and if your battery needs changing and it’s got BMS fitted it must be re-calibrated after a new battery is fitted.
Reason why it’s got 3 month voltage monitor build into the gateway module cjb which remembers driver usage , charging data etc.
If you don’t recalibrate the system will reboot the old data and not carry out the smart charging applied.
Does the same apply if recharging a 'low battery' using a CTEK charger? Can this re-cal be forced in any way?

·
Registered
19 Posts
No , because the CJB needs to be re-learnt on new data . Connecting a low voltage charger won’t effect it.
If your not using the vehicle its always good practice to use one

·
Registered
548 Posts
Craig, are the solar panel trickle charge that use the OBD port type any good? Do you know if it’s worth getting one of those?
Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Craig, are the solar panel trickle charge that use the OBD port type any good? Do you know if it’s worth getting one of those?
Cheers
The only thing I would be worried about is keeping the system awake if you do this.
Possibly a higher drain than normal (which is around 0.030mili amps ) is about right

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Solar panel battery charger in Scotland would be as much use as Nicola Sturgeon sourcing Ppe ?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,640 Posts
No , because the CJB needs to be re-learnt on new data . Connecting a low voltage charger won’t effect it.
If your not using the vehicle its always good practice to use one
I've just had my first ever "low battery" warning when starting my Evoque! This lockdown has lots of knockons :(

My battery is the original so past it's best at over 5 years old. I haven't got any fancy CTEK charger. Am I ok to just use an old school battery charger to top things up? But LR make things look hard work - any advice appreciated.

The owner's manual for my vehicle states:

CHARGING THE VEHICLE BATTERY
If the vehicle battery should require charging,the battery must be removed from the vehicle.
Consult your Dealer/Authorised Repairer.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
Hi Hmmm, if using an older charger you should disconnect it ideally (dont have to physically remove it) remove Neg first.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,902 Posts
I’d have to agree with Phill above, just remove to positive connections and charge till full.
or buy a high tech charger...

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,640 Posts
Thanks for replies.

I was just trying to avoid upsetting calibration on windows etc. if possible.
Perhaps it's time I bought a CTEK charger which people seem to use without disconnecting...

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Maybe this information should be in a thread solely for battery charging...
If someone is looking to replace battery there going to be bombarded with information that is irrelevant to replacement..... just saying?

21 - 40 of 89 Posts