Evoque Owners Club banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Perhaps we need to get back on topic, whatever that was LOL(y)

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,820 Posts
Of course but you didn't use the reply bubble, thats part of the scheme, sorry for any confusion caused, terms and conditions apply!
Consider yourself bubbled.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
LOL, Thank you Sir.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Of course but you didn't use the reply bubble, thats part of the scheme, sorry for any confusion caused, terms and conditions apply!
All replies must be replied to by the reply balloon.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
But surely veteran, your reply means that I do indeed to to respond in reply form and as a response to your initial reply, otherwise it is not a resposible reply.
in reply to your reply, what does “resposible” mean?

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Yes, In Donna's absence I am using her spell checker, just to keep it warm as it were.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Few updates:
1- Car has been to dealers for its annual service. Can't fault the dealer in regards to service. However, to troubleshoot a minor jolt, they have taken a bit longer.

2- There was some noise on starting our car. The dealer has rectified that FOC (will make a separate thread to appreciate their work as it's hard to find decent dealers).

3- Rubber mats are gone in.

4- Looked at the battery side of the things. The auto start-stop does not work in our car which points to the battery (not that I like auto-stop start). I have taken both batteries out and charged them fully (as per JLR recommendations).

Findings:
-Both have never been changed.
-The larger battery holds 12.4V after recharging. JLR service bulletin suggests that standing charge on the battery should not be less than 12.5 when handing the car over the customer (on pre-delivery inspection).
-The smaller battery holds it at 12.8V after recharging.
- Was worried that my central console might die, however, following JLR battery change sequence meant, it went smoothly.

I believe they both require changing and I will start with the bigger one. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these? Best batteries (which come with a decent warranty?)

5- Done some diagnostics on the transmission (with the help of qualified people).
Our cars are equipped with ZF 9HP48 transmission. It's prone to have few issues and most car manufacturers have updated their firmware on these to avoid any issues.

More details on this and why changing 4-5 and 7-8 gears (in sports mode) can lead to a jolt (Dog clutches).

If someone fancy reading more, then these are interesting webpages:
(ZF has benchmarked this gearbox against other boxes including CVT)

I have sent an e-mail to ZF Uk to have clarity as to if these boxes require service and if yes, how frequently. I do not have any issue while changing the gears atm but want to equip myself with the knowledge on these gearboxes. My only issue is a minor jolt when putting the car from P->R or N->R. This might be a matter of updating the gearbox firmware.

6- Done some work on Meridian sound system settings. Interestingly my beamer with standard navigation was sounding better than Evoque. I am referring to sound quality (SQ) as opposed to sound pressure levels (SPL) in the audiophile world (too old for SPL).
I was using BT streaming on both so decided to use other methods of music transmission to head unit / DAC. BT transmitters aren't great on these and lose sound quality. As soon as I used the cable (iPod mode), the sound system became alive and one could hear mid-high notes which were missing on BT. Perhaps, useful to some of our audiophile fellow members here.

I guess this is enough for the time being.

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
367 Posts
'prognosticate' - now that's a word you don't hear very often! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I have sent an e-mail to ZF Uk to have clarity as to if these boxes require service and if yes, how frequently. I do not have any issue while changing the gears atm but want to equip myself with the knowledge on these gearboxes.
Reply from ZF Uk.

Hi,

Thank you for providing this additional information.

ZF automatic transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends an oil change after 150,000 km for its transmissions. In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past, it can make sense to change the transmission oil at shorter intervals.

Please consider also the service specification of the vehicle manufacturer.

The correct transmission oil for your vehicle is ZF LifeGuard Fluid 9.

There is no service kit for this transmission as the filter cannot be exchanged without complete strip down of the gearbox.

I hope that this information helps.

So, there is no service kit for our gearbox.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That makes me feel better Makkan. They told me when I had my oil changed it was impossible to change the filter. I’ve done all I can. 🤞

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
That makes me feel better Makkan. They told me when I had my oil changed it was impossible to change the filter. I’ve done all I can. 🤞
I remember you saying that however mine was different so wanted to check with them. Like you said, its a relief for 150K km. (y)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
Apologies for not updating this thread, however, COVID-19 and work have kept us very busy. I hope that you guys are safe and sound (away from this nasty virus).

As NHS has started vaccinations, therefore NHS anticipates that things will be much more in control in the next 6-12 months.

Back to car (update):

Had weird issues like
  • ‘ambient’ light colour of the central console would not change (recent issue).
  • Recently, the driver side door will not lock (happened on three occasions).
  • Start / Stop never worked since we got this car (not keen on this feature).

I knew that the battery has not been changed on this and ordered both batteries.

Source of Batteries:
Most of you may not know but Tanya battery are very competitive in the market and offer 10% discount to NHS / Keyworker staff (blue light card). Ordered over the phone and batteries were delivered next day via DHL.

Batteries replaced:
It’s a very simple procedure if you follow JLR recommendations to avoid any hassle. 30-45 minutes later both batteries were replaced.

Coding for battery replacement:
After changing the battery, the car has to be coded (for both batteries).

Changes after batter replacement:
-‘ambient’ light colour of the central console would not change – RESOLVED
  • Start / Stop never worked since we got this car – RESOLVED.
  • Recently, the driver side door will not lock – STILL HAPPENING. Will read on this further.

Thanks for reading and hope you guys are safe (y)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
The first issue with our car in 12 months. The driver side door actuator became faulty and due to keyless entry, it was a dealer option only. Bought it from JLR and replaced it myself. Max 60 minutes job.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
It has been a while since I updated this thread. However, as COVID restrictions are easing off, back to car work/ maintenance.

So after reading Donna’s horror story and many others on Evoque steering wheel facebook page, I have decided to get bolts changed on our car.

Bolts purchased:

Time required to change:

2 hours

Garage used:

We Fix (see below for details including their address)

Cost:

70 for fitment

12 for bolts

Photos of old bolts:

New bolts fitted:

Removed old bolts:

You can see corrosion on one of them.

Very happy with the outcome as with these bolts changed and we can avoid hefty bills coming our way. Our warranty is expiring in 3 months however, some dealers are taking 4-12 weeks to get this sorted. So no brainer to get it changes to avoid hassle!

Now let's talk about the garage and why I selected it. Here are multiple reasons:

• Jon and the other owner have worked for multiple dealers and then started their garage. There is a wealth of knowledge that these guys possess.
  • Staff members are also ex-dealer staff including BMW, Audi and ford.
  • The technician who worked on our car had printed torque settings for wheels and bolts etc. Although JLR does not specify bolt torque settings but these guys have access to other repair manuals which normally provide torque settings for evoque.
  • Multiple point checking. This was not the part of the job however they made sure that they inspected all wheels and bottom part of the car for any work/damage/leakages. This gave me additional confidence.
  • Large garage and multiple staff members working on different cars. This means you do not have to wait for long if you are booked.
  • One-stop-shop which includes car repairs, service, module updates, remaps, body shop and wrapping etc.
  • The most important part is that their prices are very reasonable.

Would highly recommend them and if in doubt anything, speak to Jon.

Some photos of the garage. They are based in East London and would highly recommend them.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
1.jpg

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Good to have the steering bolts changed, but from those photos it was nice to see the originals look pretty good to me!
I guess it's down to luck and weather conditions on how well they are faring.

Reactions: makkan00

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Thanks for the update.
Good to have the steering bolts changed, but from those photos it was nice to see the originals look pretty good to me!
I guess it's down to luck and weather conditions on how well they are faring.
Agreed with the looks of bolts. Only one of them had minor corrosion. I guess £82 pounds for peace of mind is more important to us, as Mrs drive the car and I dread Mrs/ Kids stuck in a car with the heavy steering wheel.

Also, agreed that if someone is living on the coastal side where rust/corrosion is common should pay more attention or should change them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good job (y)
It seems a no brainer to get this done especially on the 2.2D variants (I've read the 3rd bolt is more difficult to access on the Ingenium models). Disappointing that JLR aren't doing this on a recall as it seems that failure is inevitable sooner or later. Fortunately I've recently learnt my Evoque is beyond the affected VIN range.
I think it's swings and roundabouts with regard location, unless you're parking on the harbour wall on a regular basis living near the coast has the advantage of milder winters and road salt is rarely used here.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
...It seems a no brainer to get this done...
As discussed in other threads, there is an element of risk though. If your bolts should fail when being removed you end up in a position where LR won't help you and a new rack is most likely required!
So rather than a "no brainer" it also depends on how your luck runs :)

If this wasn't a risk I reckon LR would be changing bolts...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 · (Edited)
As discussed in other threads, there is an element of risk though. If your bolts should fail when being removed you end up in a position where LR won't help you and a new rack is most likely required!
So rather than a "no brainer" it also depends on how your luck runs :)

If this wasn't a risk I reckon LR would be changing bolts...
There is that risk and I discussed this with Jon. He has done around 10-15ish cars and luckily not a single snapped bolt.

However, if aluminium bolt snaps while being removed, then they have to drill that bolt to remove it or tread it. Worst-case scenario, one is looking at a new steering wheel rack. Yes, JLR will not help with it. so, that is the other side of the picture.

I would suggest that its more to do with the skills of mechanic and a bit of luck.

Reactions: Col_C
121 - 140 of 174 Posts