Evoque Owners Club banner

Mak's Mrs Car Thread....

15K views 174 replies 17 participants last post by  makkan00 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is a good idea however thought to start a thread where I post progress on the car.

It may / may not help others. Or other members can suggest/share their opinions.

So, this is the car which is bought for Mrs.

Plans as per my other thread:

• Adding Sidestep (black stealth edition) - DONE and evident in the picture above.
  • Internal LED lights including footwell, boot and vanity mirrors lights
  • Reverse LED lights
  • Rear lights smoked and matched to front black edition lights
  • Sealing the rear camera / Studying design issues and rectify it
  • Carbon Fibre (?probably fake) key cover
  • Razman’s boot led modification (will see how bright is boot LED bulb and if no good, will go with this).
  • Deleting SD4 lettering at the back. Tractor noise is enough to warn others that it’s a diesel.
  • Bonnet Vents / grills

If there is anything else which may help the car (in terms of trouble-free motoring) or enhance the looks, feel free to mention it. The goal is to keep it looking subtle, yet attractive.

See less See more
Reactions: Trevorguy and XZ4
#2 ·
The rear camera was the first one to fog up after giving it a good clean so, it was replaced and covered here.

#3 · (Edited)
So, reverse LEDs were delivered and ready to be fitted. The rear lights were smoked at the same time to mimic black edition or to match with the front smoked headlights/ fog lights.

Reverse light LEDs:

Before and after smoked effect.

Before, after, with rear lights on and reverse lights on.

Personal observations:
- Happy with reverse LED.

- Smoked tint was kept to one layer as I wanted a minimum/ subtle shade. In real life, lights look better and pictures do not show the real-life presentation.

- Not sure if I should keep it smoked or revert back to OEM state. Open to suggestions here.

PS: Moral policing is welcome. Before someone says that shadow effect reduces the light output, I'd say I agree with you. However, if it was that dangerous then JLR shouldn't be releasing smoked tinted headlights/fog lights and rear black edition tail light.

Reactions: Maffy
#5 ·
The led’s are sooo much better 👍 but I think I maybe prefer the non smoke effect lights 🤔

Reactions: makkan00
#8 · (Edited)
Thanks all of you for your honest opinions. After applying the smoked tint, I was double-minded as well. Nice clean look vs matt smoked look. I guess I can revert them in 5- 10 minutes.

@Bazz

Didn't realise that we have twin cars. Would be nice to see some photos of your car as well :)

Regarding LEDs, I have done some research and didn't find much difference b/w expensive one (on my beamer and paid £15 for a pair) and this fleabay one (item no: 392573632880). HTH.

#9 ·

😟 How much for facelift smoked lights, look good though and OEM black pack

#13 ·
facelift smoked lights, look good though and OEM black pack
The facelift tinted rear lamps really freshen up the back end. £250 for the pair though 😲. At least they're plug and play unlike the facelist headlamps.

£250 is not steep for facelift smoked lights. Will check with mrs if she wants them. As she wasn't bothered whether its white or smoked. I wanted to try smoked rear lights to match the front.
Edit: Just realised that they are OOS. Fleabay shows Chinese and German sellers with a price hike.

I like the originals. They just look clean and crisp The smoked ones look faded. Although I don’t dislike them. Personal preference I suppose.
Yup general consensus, keep it nice and clean. I guess I didn't like clear transparent glass on black edition when everything is dark/black and tinted.

Better than sidesteps!
🤣

#10 ·
The facelift tinted rear lamps really freshen up the back end. £250 for the pair though 😲. At least they're plug and play unlike the facelist headlamps.

Reactions: makkan00 and Doink
#14 ·
Try Supertweaks then if Powerful are OOS

#15 · (Edited)
Bonnet Vents / Grills are installed.

Link to the product:

Few observations:
-Their price and vents are very reasonable and not thin grills similar to many Chinese vendors.
-The printed cutout is a replica of chinses grills pdf file but tweaked in English. So the vents which you get will be wider than the paper cutout. However, if you follow the line closer to bonnet crease (toward the middle of the car) as a landmark, you can easily install them.
-These vents look nice but will be harder to clean.
-I have attached a template from the Chinese vendors just in case if that helps someone.
-Mrs could not spot the difference. I told her that I have changed something and try and spot it. She was clueless 🤣

Attachments

Reactions: XZ4 and Doink
#21 ·
Donna, they are dummy ones. So no cutting is required. They come with 3M tape and you stick them on the bonnet. These ones have some gaps so water can seep out after a car wash. As Doink and Maffy said, they look really nice.

#17 ·
Does yours not have them Donna? very do look very smart and were on mine, some are just cosmetic and just sit ther, others can be fitted correctly -brave person to cut into that bonnet though!!!

#19 ·
Just get the stick on ones then, no one will know and yes they really do look good.

#20 ·
I have them ;)

I remember when Rash bought a complete facelift bonnet and got it sprayed red just to get the facelift look, he even did a deal on some rear lights too from the same seller, plug and play so why not

Reactions: Maffy
#23 ·
These next

The second video is just how I play with mine on the drive, flashing at the garage door

(that didn't sound right did it)

#25 ·
LOve the LED's on the Merc-serious clever bit of kit, I often flash in front of my house!!!

#26 ·
Gotta have LED's now, don't think I could breath without them now, oh and the orange DRL indicators they just make me smile

#28 ·
Just some info here if anyone would like to know :geek:

Reversing LEDs - try to find the T15 LED 'bulb' which has extra LEDs down the sides. These make quite a difference (and I have tried them all)
I can now reverse with confidence into my dark driveway at night.

#33 ·
Just some info here if anyone would like to know :geek:

Reversing LEDs - try to find the T15 LED 'bulb' which has extra LEDs down the sides. These make quite a difference (and I have tried them all)
I can now reverse with confidence into my dark driveway at night.
View attachment 4852
Yes to see how bright are mine. Link to these?

Would have gone for mirror repeaters if it was my car. Mrs isn't bothered with any stuff and I am trying not to overspend on her car (imagine paying £500 for annual service). Do we have sidelights in black colour? Will see how it looks on your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.