Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Would appreciate views on winter tyres.Do you think they are theyneededon 4x4's?
Mike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Errr not a clue....they may well be better...but cannot confirm for sure....not had the experience in testing both in adverse conditions....i do know standard tyres are up to the job

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to know if the video on you tubeof the Evoque in Sweden was shown using winter tyres or standard tyres.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Worth remembering that a 4WD is exactly that - four wheel DRIVE - and is no different from other cars in providing 2 wheel steering and 4 wheel braking so while 4WD is useful, it doesn't reduce the need for tyres which will do the job in wintry conditions. In particular, grip reduces at lower temperatures because the rubber compound hardens and winter tyres provide a different compromise of compound and tread pattern.

It's worth researching the tyres the car comes fitted with to find out what conditions they're designed for and buy winter tyres if you expect harsher winter conditions. In other countries, it's standard practice to switch tyres for the winter and that applies to 4WDs as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had had no problems in winter with any tires fitted as standard to several freelanders and discoveries over the last 12 years. All have coped with any amount of snow we have had. Have been offroad in snow as well and have never needed to get winter tyres. The clever 4 wheel drive system has always managed to cope. The tyres on my LR4 are scorpion zeroes and we had no issue at all on country roads with 1 foot of snow. Only issue was with black ice. There is no tyre that you can get in UK To deal with that unless you fit studs!!

When you select snow on the terrain response the engine acceleration rate is reduced which reduces wheelspin in snow , even off road in snow in the discovery 4 very rarely needed to select low ratio. When on snow covered roads, which we had this year for about 1 month straight , just selected snow on the terrain response. After a while didn't think it was doing much to help, UNTIL I SWITCHED IT OFF, wasn't till then realised how clever the system is. Also think that the braking set up on the discovery alters in this mode. Although the Evoque hasn't got low ratio I am sure it will cope admirably on whatever tyre is supplied by LR.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my second RRS on 20" Scorpion Zeros and had no problems in the snow on or off road over the past 4 winters, but I did adapt my driving style even with the terrain response system. LR do a snow traction system as an accessory which is easier to fit than chains and a lot cheaper than a spare set of Tyres... might be worth a look to see if this can be fitted to the Evoque?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know what winter tyres are available for the 20" wheels ? I could only find Pirelli Ice & Snow on the web (expensive !).Live up in the Pennines so put some Conti winters on RRS TDV8 last winter and they were brilliant. Never needed to use the snow setting on terrain response. Great thing about them is the breaking distances and stopping lateral sliding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes you will need winter tyres, because of the temperature. Summer tires have to soft rubber and will be to hard when the temperature gets lower.

I live in Sweden and have looked at these "Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 235/55R19 105H XL".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jake been looking for winter tyres myself and the pirellis seem to be the only ones for the 20" wheels. My local tyre fitter has quoted me £330 each! I have seen them for less on internet but still going to be at least £1000 for the 4. Still thinking about it but have been told to order soon before winter hits or may all be sold out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Silverburn, tyre makers missing a trick here, there's going to be thousands of RRE out there on 20" who might want winter tyres. Hope Continental come up with something

·
Registered
174 Posts
On a normal car winter tyres make a huge difference and I guess they will help on 4x4 as well. As explained before, they have more grip and also do a better job in very wet conditions.

I am thinking of getting 17" rims and tyres for the winter. The prestige comes standard with 19", but should be able to run on 17" ones, no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. I just received my Evoque last Friday, and equipped it with the Pirelli 19" Wintertyres. Of course it makes a huge difference if you drive your 4x4 with summer tyres in the winter, just imagine the difference in braking...

·
Registered
16 Posts
As the 17" aren't fitted to any Evoques, it might be worth checking if the 17" wheels will fit over the brake discs/calipers.I reckon the handling could be quite "interesting" as the tyres will have to be a deep section to maintain the rolling diameter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
malph said:
As the 17" aren't fitted to any Evoques, it might be worth checking if the 17" wheels will fit over the brake discs/calipers.I reckon the handling could be quite "interesting" as the tyres will have to be a deep section to maintain the rolling diameter.

17" is fitted to the pure in Belgium. At least on the base model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive bought off ebay some 18" alloys off a FL2 and then some part worn vredstien wintrac tyres. All in about £630 for winter tyre set up and no damage to th 20" alloys. Just need my evoque now lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
malph said:
As the 17" aren't fitted to any Evoques, it might be worth checking if the 17" wheels will fit over the brake discs/calipers. I reckon the handling could be quite "interesting" as the tyres will have to be a deep section to maintain the rolling diameter.
According to the manual (on this forum) 17" can be fitted: 7.0Jx17 wheels 225/65 R17 tyres, speed indication V

1 - 19 of 19 Posts