Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago a horrible noise started indicating a wheel bearing was on its way out. Bit difficult to identify which bearing it was, suspected the prop shaft at one point. Got the car ramped and it was from the front drivers side wheel hub.
Continued driving but the noise was getting worse and really spoilt the driving to work etc, plus potentially dangerous.
Bearings wear out randomly, cars done 52/53k miles, so was sort of expecting one to go at some point. Simply fix anyway,,,,,,,,!
Back to the garage, thankfully my brother in laws. He got a new bearing to press in.
He took pictures during the process, which he described as a ‘complete [email protected]#tard of a job’. Mainly due to corrosion, caused by steel in aluminium cast housings. Sounds familiar I thought, eg steering rack bolts.
The circlip holding the old bearing in was partially out, due to the corrosion process between the circlip and alloy housing, corroded material had forced part of the circlip out.

The bearing itself was solid in the housing, obviously no sort of grease applied during assembly. He managed to remove it but needed 20 tonnes of pressure on the bearing press before it shifted. His worst prior to this was a car that needed 10 tonnes.
After removal of the bearing he cleaned up the corroded areas of the bearing housing and raked out the circlip recess.

The ABS sensor, held in with a small steel screw thankfully came out but again, into alloy was corroded in. He also mentioned the steering arm connection is a steel pin into alloy, this had been out a couple of months ago when the steering rack was replaced, but was still awkward.
His summary was that if LR had done the work they would probably change the whole wheel bearing hub assembly. One of these

Also, because there are so many steel into alloy components, he says the car will be a nightmare to work on due to seized corroded components. The amount of rust under the car isn’t good for a 4 year old car.

My Evoque has done 53000 miles, owned from new. New dpf filter, rear discs, front discs, steering rack, 5 oil and filter changes. Discs and bearing as fair wear and tear, oil - the more it’s replaced the better. Although the Evoque looks nice, they have issues, a warranty is essential and I hesitate to guess how long the car will last.
Really grateful that my BinL sorted it out.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
@Boltby Interesting post thanks - always good to see mechanic threads (y)

I'm a bit confused where you say a warranty is essential but say your brother-in-law did the work? Was he able to carry out warranty work or wasn't this covered?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A couple of weeks ago a horrible noise started indicating a wheel bearing was on its way out. Bit difficult to identify which bearing it was, suspected the prop shaft at one point. Got the car ramped and it was from the front drivers side wheel hub.
Continued driving but the noise was getting worse and really spoilt the driving to work etc, plus potentially dangerous.
Bearings wear out randomly, cars done 52/53k miles, so was sort of expecting one to go at some point. Simply fix anyway,,,,,,,,!
Back to the garage, thankfully my brother in laws. He got a new bearing to press in.
He took pictures during the process, which he described as a ‘complete [email protected]#tard of a job’. Mainly due to corrosion, caused by steel in aluminium cast housings. Sounds familiar I thought, eg steering rack bolts.
The circlip holding the old bearing in was partially out, due to the corrosion process between the circlip and alloy housing, corroded material had forced part of the circlip out. The bearing itself was solid in the housing, obviously no sort of grease applied during assembly. He managed to remove it but needed 20 tonnes of pressure on the bearing press before it shifted. His worst prior to this was a car that needed 10 tonnes.
After removal of the bearing he cleaned up the corroded areas of the bearing housing and raked out the circlip recess.
The ABS sensor, held in with a small steel screw thankfully came out but again, into alloy was corroded in. He also mentioned the steering arm connection is a steel pin into alloy, this had been out a couple of months ago when the steering rack was replaced, but was still awkward.
His summary was that if LR had done the work they would probably change the whole wheel bearing hub assembly. Also, because there are so many steel into alloy components, he says the car will be a nightmare to work on due to seized corroded components. The amount of rust under the car isn’t good for a 4 year old car.
My Evoque has done 53000 miles, owned from new. New dpf filter, rear discs, front discs, steering rack, 5 oil and filter changes. Discs and bearing as fair wear and tear, oil - the more it’s replaced the better. Although the Evoque looks nice, they have issues, a warranty is essential and I hesitate to guess how long the car will last.
Really grateful that my BinL sorted it out.
I’ll post a few images.
View attachment 4744

View attachment 4745

View attachment 4746

View attachment 4747
I think it’s a case of you pays your money you take a chance! My neighbours who are farmers had one from new in 2011. The only item required until they exchanged it for a brand new one this year was a head lamp bulb!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
@Sadie - I think the earlier ones were built better!

PS - For next time... You can edit a post using the options if you wanted to add the mileage ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@Boltby Interesting post thanks - always good to see mechanic threads (y)

I'm a bit confused where you say a warranty is essential but say your brother-in-law did the work? Was he able to carry out warranty work or wasn't this covered?
Hi, sorry for confusion. Still haven’t got a 3rd party warranty but will see to it. This is why I got my brother in law to do the repair. Car is currently out of warranty.
It could be said most new cars need a warranty once manufacturers have expired.Or, a valid argument to go PPI and change every 3 years.

Sure the car will be good for a few more miles yet, I don’t neglect or abuse it :)

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
That might be a bone of contention when looking to get fixed under warranty with JLR... this would fall into there wear and tear clause I’d presume.... be interesting to find out how much the job would cost if not brother in law rates..the corrosion looked quite bad for a 4 year old car....
I believe my 3 rd party half the price would of covered this as wear and tear covered.... might be worth noting that the DPF filter replacement is also covered if you can’t fix it by getting it cleaned at your cost on my warranty.... £100s opposed to thousands ... I see yours has been replaced ... do you know the price of that also please

·
Registered
7,955 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Donna,
The DPF was replaced at about 20,000 miles, under warranty, purely on the basis that the heat shield was rattling. Seem to remember the guy at LR mentioning £1300 if not a warranty claim. Expensive heat shield. The replacement DPF shield vibrates a bit now at 1800rpm, so still an issue but managed to manipulate it a bit and don’t notice it - much :).
I would also be interested in knowing how much the fix would have cost at LR. The hub assembly doesn’t look particularly cheap. Think the OEM bearing was £68 +vat, they are a substantial bearing. Personally think it went due to contamination, to do with whatever was happening at the end of the drive shaft that looks rough as. Wheel bearing change is ‘normally’ straightforward.
The ground work you have done on warranty providers is excellent, thank you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My DPF was changed under warranty due to a rattling heatshield too.

Wonder if its a design flaw - mine had done just under 45000 miles.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine has just been in for a noise, and they told me it was the heat shield bracket, but they have “adjusted“ it 🤔

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
DKZ lots of numbers..... I wonder if they just manipulated it like Boltby did...I had a rattle on a BMW years ago it turned out to be the brake disc cover ( don’t know technical name) this was flimsy bit of metal that must of got bent going over a pot hole or something... other half just decided to bend it with grips worked fine afterwards but little rattles are so annoying .... you’re loathed to take it to garage until you’ve had a look yourself as before you know it it’s a wheelbearing

·
Registered
456 Posts
If I was paying, the JLR dealer would be the last place on the list I would want to be visiting, but of course while everything is covered, if I see, hear or feel anything, it’s straight down there & get it sorted under warranty 👍

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Rightly so as well... it’s just the inconvenience ... especially as yours is so new, you hope for better from a prestige car ...so many little annoying things can go wrong.... said it many times before I love the car but don’t think will ever have another

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Get a Merc!!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Get an Audi!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Or you could marry a mechanic 🤔

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
Who happens to own a Merc-Problem solved.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,879 Posts
Very interesting post boltby and great write up, thanks for sharing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts