Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can someone explain what happens when the Evoque goes into "Limp mode", i have heard this a few times in posts ( especially ones about the fuel/fuel filter discussions) and have a educated guess of what it does (slows down the car/limits performance) but not to what extent, i am worried to think i am in the fast lane with a lorry up my rear and this happened hence the question, My apologies if it has already been discussed but cannot find anything.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Bulldog

When the Evoque goes into limp mode it will restrict the performance straight away. This happened to me on many occasions and is not funny while overtaking as this will leave you on the wrong side of the road until you can get back behind the vehicle you tried to over take. Which happend to me. Not good. You will then find the car will struggle to go much faster than 35 to 40 mph unless down hill with the wind behind you. I just kept tight to the side of the road and put my hazards on. Rightly or wrongly but had to warn people that I had a problem.

Hope this helps. Don,t worry to much as I seem to be the only one on this forum with this problem. So should'nt happen to you unless unlucky like me

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi claas an! and thanks for a reply (was thinking it was seen as a stupid question or something?). I think it would be a scary scenario to be in, how quickly did it reduce speed? what was the reason for the car going into Limp mode? Your not the only one have this happen as its been mentioned in other posts just nothing about Limp mode itself, the main one is due to blocked fuel filter. Thanks again for the reply

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Bulldog, This happens instantly like a switch. The reason why was the fuel filter blocked. But I do seem to be the only one on this forum with this problem. Unless you go on baby rr forum then you will fing lots of others.

Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi all,

At last have got to the bottom of my fuel filters blocking. The breather pipe in behind the wheel arch cover is split. Which in turn is filling the fuel tank up with crap. After breaking down again after only 1500 miles in fog around a blind bend ( not funny) I made county garage Barnstaple cut open the fuel filter to find it full of sand, grit, grass and water. They then took the tank off and cleaned it and blamed me for dirty fuel and wanting to charge for it. Not happy camper. So knowing that I have a golf which runs on the same fuel supply i was very sure this was not a fuel contamination problem. I then took it to another garage for investigation and found that the breather pipe to have split. They found this by filling the tank with air. God knows why county could not have done this. So back we go to county with the results and they still looked at me as I had landed from Mars. But they took it a part and agreed the pipe is faulty.

I'am hoping mad to think they pointed the finger at me and did not do a full investigation. The car is there now waiting on a new part. So when this is done its bye bye county garage for me and hello roger young to see if I can get better service from there as I have a crunching noise when going from forward to revs which county seem to think I,m making this up as well.

Anyone in the Barnstaple area do not use county garage unless you like being taken for a mug

·
10,626 Posts
Wow.

What a way to discover the cure to your issues.

Let's wait and see hopefully that this is the proper solution the the filter clogging.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
When I had my manual I was overtaking on a hill and as I tried to slot her in to 5th she popped into 3rd and then went straight into limp mode, wouldn't go above 30mph. Fortunately at the top of the hill theres a car park which I pulled into turned off the engine and sat for 10 minutes then restarted and all was well again.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
claas an said:
So when this is done its bye bye county garage for me and hello roger young to see if I can get better service from there as I have a crunching noise when going from forward to revs which county seem to think I,m making this up as well.
You may remember I told you some time ago that I was impressed by the service I receive from Roger Young.

Glad this problem was eventually sorted on your car though....sand, grit, grass and water in the fuel system is not good, until they come up with a way to use it as fuel.
Good luck at RY.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorcerer said:
claas an said:
So when this is done its bye bye county garage for me and hello roger young to see if I can get better service from there as I have a crunching noise when going from forward to revs which county seem to think I,m making this up as well.
You may remember I told you some time ago that I was impressed by the service I receive from Roger Young.

Glad this problem was eventually sorted on your car though....sand, grit, grass and water in the fuel system is not good, until they come up with a way to use it as fuel.
Good luck at RY.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Sorcerer,

Yes I did remember and took you advice. Thank you for the info. I have been talking to Ross down there were I'am sorting out a test drive in their 9 speed Firenze red dynamic. If they come up with a good deal and I have one you will have say that you got them another sale so knock off another 2k off your deal.

Might I ask why are you changing yours so quick? Is it because of the manual?

Again thanks for your advice

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Hi Claas an.
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

I seem to be having the same issue as you did, I somehow sustained damage to my left wheel arch and the engine has gone into limp mode.

I took it to my local garage and they suggested a transmission problem (I doubted this because I haven't error message come up).

When this issue happened to you did you have a message come up about restricted performance?

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cant help you with your problem, but neither can most of the people in the discussion, have a look at the date of the posts.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
When limp mode kicks in it limits revs, if you have an auto with paddles you can force it to change into a higher gear, I found with mine I could get up to 50mph on a level road. Not ideal but better than 25 -30mph & all the idiots behind blowing horns trying to make you speed up despite hazard flashers being on. :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Si4Evoque.
Don't know if this will help but I had this a couple of weeks ago on my Si4.
Fast lane on M27, EML came on & into limp mode.
Limped to garage, diagnostics said 'very angry car' with multiple issues but nothing standing out as main fault.
All faults reset & test drive to try & replicate problem to discover main fault....nothing. Advised may be a duff sensor due to persistent damp weather & may never recur.
2 days later, M27 ..same again!
This time only 1 fault on diagnostics .. split hose (LR024517).
Replaced & no problems since.
Seems limp mode triggered when engine & hose got hot enough for split to 'gape open'.
Good luck getting yours sorted.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello there,

I seem to be having the same issue as you did, I somehow sustained damage to my left wheel arch and the engine has gone into limp mode.

I took it to my local garage and they suggested a transmission problem (I doubted this because I haven't error message come up).

When this issue happened to you did you have a message come up about restricted performance?

Thanks
During a drive up the A9 to Inverness MY14 RRE flashed up that 'restricted performance' message near Aviemore but I managed to struggle along for the next 50 miles or so to my destination. Left the vehicle there till time to drive back home to south of Glasgow. Car started and drove for 100 yards or so before steering jammed, giving out a horrible crunching sound. Called AA, who advised that car has to be towed to garage of my choice. Garage on checking the problem found that the electric steering pump which is permanently attached to the steering column had to be replaced, The new part cost £1717 alone! Final bill came to £2400 which also included an extra charge of £200 towards removal of all wheels and all checked as safe, on their advice. Local JLR dealership (Taggarts) wanted £3.2k, other JLR Independent garage wanted £3k.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lots of threads on here to search through regarding steering rack failure, for example,
Word seems to be that JLR will replace on failure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Read this one,

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Think I’d be sending the bill for power steering rack to JLR as they are fixing them for free when doe through JLR complaints .....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts