Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as well I don't rate What Car because their review, while positive overall, doesn't rate the car I have on order! There's some nonsense as well, describing the Evoque cabin as snug while praising the Q3 for its interior space. I don't think so.

They then go on about how the back of the coupe is relatively cramped - how could it not be and still be a coupe? And so on.

They say the RRE is not as "focussed" a drive as a BMW series. I will be delighted to give a middle finger salute to the next BMW driver I see "focussed" on struggling up the hill in my village in the snow while I sail past in my Evoque. And, no, I won't stop to give him a tow. If it's a her, maybe.

Next month, they are doing a comparative review which will presumably set out to prove the RRE doesn't compare well with anything.

They then go on to talk about LR being the least reliable manufacturer and another car I own, a Mercedes SL, being the least reliable car, all culled from statistics from Warranty Direct or some such. Hardly a statistically valid sampleof the wider market, not that the What Car Bozos have figured that out yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Evoque is not perfect either though, main 3 issues for me are:-
1.Petrol version auto only and too thirsty at 20 mpg.
2. All versions are far too expensive for what they are, you can buy a top spec Kuga and MX5 for the price of a top spec Prestige!
3. Diesels very underpowered, acceleration above 70 mph very lethargic,and 35 mpg is not great.

I really wanted one of these until I drove them for myself, that's the real test!

Regarding reliability, a friend of mine has had 3 Range Rovers and has had serious reliability issues with all of them!

RBD914

·
Registered
70 Posts
RBD914.

Manynegative comments from yourselfon many posts this weekend?

I take it you are not too fussed on the Evoque?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just so disappointed when I drove it ceebee!
Don't get me wrong, it looks great, just the driving experience is not good enough for me!

Not all negative,but I didn't see any point in repeatingall the lots of positive things which have already been well covered by others, however I thought it would be useful to share actual driving experiences with those who may not have driven it yet!

I wasn't in a position to comment before, as it would have been speculation, so catching up now!

It does annoy me when people say all the reviews are positive - overall they may be, but many do point out shortcomings, however people do tendto ignore them in their excitement though!

I may still buy one, I just need to manage my expectations and decided whether I can reconcile myself with the shortcomings as I perceive them. - which I'm sure won't apply to everyone!

I' m sure you will be happy with yours!

Edited by: RBD914

·
Registered
70 Posts
RDB914,

Good answer.....................

It's all down to personal choice and what people expect to get for their money I suppose?

I think it also matters what you have driven in teh past as to whether you see the Evoque as a step forward or backwards.

I have ordered an Evoque for many reasons and I have to say that (in my opinion) it is streets ahead of everything else I have considered (Another Kuga, Q5 etc......) However, I have ordered the pure with justa couple of extras as I think that over 3 years it should turn out to be pretty good value for money.

One thing that I didnt want to do was make the purchase price much greater by adding a whole host of goodies that are very nice, but I have never had on any of my previous cars, so wouln't miss if I didnt have them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, you may have a good point there, expectations of a fully specced £45,000 Prestige or Dynamic would be very different to a SD4 Pure at sub £30,000!
Maybe that's what I should be considering - I'm feeling more positive already, now where's my brochures and web model configurator.........

The spec you quote looks good, no extra for metallic paint, I also prefer a manual gearbox so more savings there, tints and pan roof are essential, 20" alloys - not sure, the 19 " are a better ride and cheaper, front fogs yes, spare wheel?I do like the Orkney grey though!

·
Registered
54 Posts
So, been on the configurator, an SD4 Pure, 5 door, diesel manual in Orkney, 19" sparkle alloys, pan roof, privacy glass, fogs, tech pack = £33,950.
SD4 Prestige with pan roof and privacy glass = £38,970.

Conclusion, Pure model with a similar spec to Prestige saves me £5,000, all I am giving up are Xenons and slightly better quality leather! I can live with that!

It's a "No brainer", now when can I get one...........at that price I can accept the performance limitations!

Edited by: RBD914

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Greys look great. The only reason I didnt go for the grey is that I would have 3 grey cars on the drive????? (Wifes Verso and Sons Corsa)

I put a lot of thought into my choice and considered lots of other cars.

My spec comes in at around £31.5 (ish) which makes it around top spec Kuga/ avg Q5 sort of price range, but the standard features on the Evoque are high compared to the others (Choice of leather, Climate, Cruise, Touchscreen, Dab etc, etc.....)

I have owned a Kuga for past 3 years, but fancy something different. I did drivea Q5 and it just didnt do it for me? It was a lovely car and excellent build quality, but didnt give me a wow feeling. Again personal choice? Don't like the look of the BMW X1/X3 and I found the Volve XC60 a touch bland!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts