Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title, whats the current consensus on what battery charger?

Car is parked outside so dont have the luxury of dryness!

Got an old optimate for the bikes and it's not man enough for the Evoque.

·
Super Moderator
2,500 Posts
If you are trickle charging, keeping topped up, the CTEK MTS 5.0 is a good bet, does AGM batteries and it's IP65 Rated (splashproof), you can get extension cables and mount the unit somewhere dry.

Reactions: Andy.M

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reactions: Andy.M and DKZ5745

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
125 Posts
There is plenty of place in the engine bay to get the ctek charger under the bonnet to stop any rain onto it and the bonnet will close without crush

·
Registered
98 Posts
My MY2020 p250 lives outside in the drive, and it's sometimes unused for a week or more. The battery has never needed charging. I also have another rarely used car which has the maintainer fitted under the bonnet as suggested above. Often plugged in for many weeks at a time (this one lives in a detached unheated garage) with no problem.

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
839 Posts
You can also buy a 2m long extension cable for the CTEK, as I leave my charger in the garage and trail out the extension leads to the car(s) from under the garage door

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
116 Posts
I have a Clarke CB09 8amp, charges and maintains batteries up to 160ah. £69. I leave it connected to my MX5 over winter and it works in maintenance mode. Comes with a range of connectors so easy to connect and disconnect via a plug if you use it regularly.
They also do cheaper 4ah one for up to 80ah battery which is what my Evoque takes.
Had it about three years now and still working perfectly.
As said there is loads of room in the Evoque engine bay for it and I just run the 240v cable in the gap between the grill and headlamp allowing the bonnet to fully close.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do presume right that the higher the charger amps, the quicker it charges?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,089 Posts
Do presume right that the higher the charger amps, the quicker it charges?
FWIW Quicker isn't always best for battery health!
The CTEK smart charger and similar one's try to 'look after' your battery:

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one caught my eye at Halfrauds and I get 10% off there. They don't stock the ctek they are order only.
Seems to tick all the boxes with good reviews too. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bit of an update. Got the Noco Genius 5 from Halfords for £58.50.
Impressed with the quality look and feel of the whole thing. Plugged it in and it started doing its thing. Left it overnight and the green LED was indicating that it was fully charged and in maintain mode.
Wife drove it and lo and behold the stop/start was working again!

This hasn't worked for a while now, despite the system being checked and battery being charged overnight by my local indy garage, very strange!

Not counting any chickens yet, will see how it goes and report back any developments.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Could be a result!! (y) (y) (y) and possibly --🍻🍻🍻

1 - 12 of 12 Posts