Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Have an issue that is driving me mad, where the battery on a Evoque 2012 dies quickly but while waiting for a new one to arrive, I find the rear lights (tail lights and number plate lights) are staying constantly on and the internal lights are just about illuminating too. They are obviously draining the last remaining volts of the battery but i cant find out how to shut off.

I have checked all doors are closed and bonnet is shut correctly and the boot, i cant even get into.

Any ideas on how to shut these lights off other than ripping battery out (which isnt easy to do on the Evoque.)

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
Leds can do this as only require a tiny residual voltage difference to glow, but 2012 interior are old fashioned bulbs so surprising if they are coming on (unless you changed them to LED like me)

You dont need to remove the battery just take the negative connector off.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Weird lighting issues on older cars also can be down to 'bad earth returns'. Used to have to clean all wire (cable) connections to earth terminals on the car chassis dealing with lighting. Unbolt cables from earth terminal, then use Emery paper to clean rust or dirt off cable lugs and earth terminals, (earth terminals for lighting is usually next to or near the light units).

Why this happens...If you get bad earth returns the returning current has to find another way back to the negative battery post. On bad lighting it returns via the resistive element of bulbs, any bulb, and so the voltage reduces and you can get resulting different bulbs lighting up that are on other circuits, and could be at half or lower brightness compared to normal.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,632 Posts
Hi

Have an issue that is driving me mad, where the battery on a Evoque 2012 dies quickly but while waiting for a new one to arrive, I find the rear lights (tail lights and number plate lights) are staying constantly on and the internal lights are just about illuminating too. They are obviously draining the last remaining volts of the battery but i cant find out how to shut off.

I have checked all doors are closed and bonnet is shut correctly and the boot, i cant even get into.

Any ideas on how to shut these lights off other than ripping battery out (which isnt easy to do on the Evoque.)
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Your battery will no doubt be flat by now (13+ hrs after posting) unless you followed @PhilSkill's suggestion about removing the negative battery connector.

I recently had this happen to a relative with an early Evoque. New battery sorted everything - all very strange!

Let us know how you get on...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts