Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the Evoque doing the daily duties again been thinking of something for fun.

I'm swaying towards an MX5. Had one many moons ago and loved it. Anyone any experience of the latest model?

Or any other options to consider. After a manual and tbh prefer a sports car to a hot hatch.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Depends how new you want it. I have a Peugeot RCZ which is the most fun you can have with your clothes on 😁

And, before anyone says, yes but it’s a Peugeot, it actually not. It’s made in Austria at Magna Seyre (can’t remember the spelling). It also has a BMW Prince engine, so it’s really more German than French.

The only thing is, they stopped making them in early 2016 so you would have to get at least a 4 year old car. Mine is now 7 years old, the longest I’ve ever kept a car, and I love driving it as much now as I did 7 years ago when I got it 👍

182CC56C-9BF9-4D92-8316-2CFC3769D40D.jpeg
841B028F-55B2-4434-B13C-34F82080BB3B.jpeg

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,457 Posts
The new MX5 is a nice car and lots of fun. I had an E89 BMW Z4 before the Evoque and it was Good fun too.. My latest mid life crisis is the most fun I've had with my clothes on though.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
One of the moderators on the RCZ forum swapped theirs in for a new MX5. They’ve now swapped back to an RCZ R 🤔

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Peugeot looks lovely. Thinking RWD though tbh.

Misses had an F-Type. Nice car, she loved it too.

We now live on the west coast of Scotland, empty narrow B-roads galore. My best mate has a Golf GTi which is almost perfect for the job. But as mentioned think i'm swaying to a sportscar, rather than a hot hatch.

The Z4 is a good shout. Might have to do a bit of research. Would an else be just a bit too compromised?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can definitely vouch for the mx5 as a second fun car. I drive it all year round if the weather isn’t too bad , find it fun top up or down and a totally different proposition to my Evoque.

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
142 Posts
Depends on the budget, but I've had two lotus Elise's. Great little fun cars. RWD fun in a car that has a near 50/50 weight spilt.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My wife has an MX5 Icon, 2016, and loves driving it. It’s not fast but it does stick well to the road and is comfortable to drive. She also has an Abarth Competizione convertible which sticks to the road even better and is fairly quick at 6.5 to 60, it also sounds fantastic with the Monza exhaust popping and crackling away. There are so many options out there so just buy what you fancy, there must be something youve always looked at and thought about having but never got round to it.

Reactions: clarki

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX Waitomo grey Manual
2,082 Posts
Spiderman has one of those BMW Supra type things so maybe he could offer some insight?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, got a few test drives lined up for the weekend. Let's see what leaves the best impression.

Thanks for the advice - a Z4 is on the list, the Supra is probably a bit ££rich for me tbh. Trying to stick to a £25k budget!!

·
Super Moderator
12,457 Posts
The Z4 has runflats as standard. Ride is very hard. I changed mine to non runflats and it transforms the ride totally.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
165 Posts
Decisions decisions. At that price the world is your oyster from an older Aston Vantage to a new MX5. My suggestions are all based on cars I have driven a few times so my personal views. First thing I would do is to forget the performance stats. It’s how it makes you feel that matters so try the ones you want, I drove my full list before choosing and learned you should never meet your hero’s.
My suggestions.
Astons are great and feel special but can be a money pit so choose carefully.
For performance and all round ability you will struggle to beat an XKR convertible. Comfy on a run and mental in dynamic mode. Very reliable as well. (Mate had one).
If you want driving pleasure definitely an MX5. Had mine 8 years now and still impressed by what a joy it is to drive. Always makes me smile and can be driven hard in legal limits.
I test drove my MX5 as a filler between a Boxster S and a Lotus Elise then went back and bought one. I am biased but they are so good if you like driving.

·
Super Moderator
12,457 Posts
£25k you're into early F Types there, much better than the XK's, I've had both.

Reactions: Binty

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A quick search revealed the odd Audi R8 for round your budget. Now there is a toy for you 🤔

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
165 Posts
Audi R8, I must disagree. Lovely on the outside, drives well, but the interior of the early cars is so.....Golf!!! I spent a bit of time as an instructor on super car experience days normally in R8’s and Astons. Technically the R8 is better but lacked feel. I would take the Aston with my own money as it feels ‘special’ and a bit quirky. That said my favourite of all was the F type V8. That car does make me smile from ear to ear.
I am sure you will choose which you prefer.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My vote goes to the MX5 having had a mk1 followed by two Z4’s. As XZ4 says the Z4 has run flat tyres. I ended up driving round with gritted teeth waiting for the next dreaded pothole. With my spine surprisingly still intact and having damaged two tyres and at £225 a pop I sold the Z4 with the intention of buying an old MX5. I couldn’t find one without the dreaded rust and ended up with an immaculate Audi TT mk1. BUT if I could afford a newer fun car it would be an MX5. Not the fastest on the road but when you are driving one it feels like you are going much faster than you are. They are just a brilliant fun car to drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’d consider a Z4M, find a nice example and you would probably loose very little money if using it as a weekend toy.

Reactions: Sadie and XZ4

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you are considering a Z4 though take a look at z4-forum.com. There is a wealth of knowledge on there. My first Z4 didn’t have cruise control. As a result of their forum I found out the early Z4 had all the wiring already installed. I just purchased the switch/stalk for £60, plugged it in and hey presto 😜 BMW wanted £600 🙄

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, surprise, surprise, decision was an MX5.

Delivery due tomorrow.

Very happy bunny.
Brilliant ! I’m on my second and pound for pound there’s not much beats them for fun and reliability .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts