Evoque Owners Club banner

Water leak on Evoque

28K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Veeto 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I purchased a new EVOQUE SD4 in 2013 and have been absolutely delighted with it up until just recently. The car has a host of extras :black panoramic roof,privacy glass,xenon lights ,puddle lamps parking sensors,reversing camera in fact almost fully loaded.
It looks stunning !! and I keep it in pristine condition.
Unfortunately while driving I noticed a drip of water coming from the headlining around the front interior lights and the rear view mirror.
I know we have experienced very poor weather conditions of late but never thought I would be afraid to take it out in the rain.
This car has rarely gone out in bad weather so I,m wondering if this fault has been there from new and fortunately not experienced severe sustained rainfall for it to show up until now.
The car is under warranty but I am apprehensive about it going in to STRATSTONES for investigation next Monday which will have been over 2weeks since I reported the problem.
Has anyone on this forum experienced this problem and if so would be very grateful for any advice offered.
many thanks

#3 ·
Hi Carver, How did the investigation into the water drips go?

A few months after I had my car I thought I saw a drop of water dripping off the bottom of the rear view mirror - I say 'thought I saw' as it only happened the once - well maybe twice, but again, only one drop of water was seen.I mentioned it at the LR garage when having a service, and they did some pretty thorough tests which didn't show up anything.
My best guess is that it was probably caused by a combination of condensation & residual aircon water vapour triggered by the effects of the night temperature - Both occurrences having been observed first thing in the morning.

Remember when we had those torrential rainstorms back in the summer - No leaks whatsoever!!

Edited by: restyler

#5 ·
Hi Restyler.
The car was for investigation of leak
and was at dealership all day.
I received a call informing me that unfortunately after exhaustive tests ,jet washing etc . No leak was replicated and could collect the vehicle. Having insisted that there was a leak I was very disappointed and not halucinary!.
As I was nearby there was no further delay in getting there to discus it further.
Whilst in the showroom Eureka! They found it.
Using sonic/sonar equipment it identified the problem above windscreen midway left of rain sensor.
Car booked in following week for sealant team to look at it on
Tues.22nd Dec.
The vehicle in all day once again.Had a call from dealership that all work done and car was ready for collection . GREAT!
The Evoque was parked outside the showroom and it was raining heavily.
Assured all tests done satisfactorily
I left.Turned the car around in the car park and just about to leave premises wham!!. Water dripping from mirror and sensor !!!
They were aghast when I flew back into reception and could offer no reply. Had the supervisor to wet his hands and confirm this is no illusion.
RIGHT. The Evoque will be kept. Courtesy car found and confirmation that windscreen team will attend next day 23rd Dec.
Phone call , car ready 5pm. New windscreen fitted ,sealant etc. More water tests with no leak replicated.
Merry Xmas.!!!
I hope this is the end it
Will be in touch

#8 ·
I used to use a sonic sounder in a VW dealership in South Africa in 1982! We used it for finding water leaks and wind noise detection. It was basically a small cigarette box sized unit that emitted a sound that we switched on and placed inside the car either on the seat/footwell/rear hatch. We then went all over the car from the outside with a probe connected to a set of headphones around the screen seals/door and hatch shuts/light clusters etc to pick up sound and obviously, the means of entry into the cabin for wind and water. They must still have them nowdays. Edited by: Steve D

#9 ·
I don't know how I missed this post unless i now have selective blindness re Leaking windscreens.

My last car was replaced because of the same issue, however it went in 5 times to cure the leak, unfortunately it was accompanied by some other issues.

The windscreen replacement was eventually watertight, but not before it was pressure/smoke tested when they found two leaks. These leaks were where some kind of lug had been broken in the repair process.

Although it was a protracted process September through to January, I have to say my dealer and LR CS were very good throughout.

#10 ·
I'm Having exactly the same issue although not sure if mine is still under warranty. Ive had my 15 plate 2 years like you never noticed until this bad weather, been told its a known issue the glue comes unstuck and needs re gluing. I've been quoted best case Remove and refit windowscreen £95 or worst case replace if they cannot get out without damaging £412.00 plus VAT

#11 ·
Hi all,
I purchased a new EVOQUE SD4 in 2013 and have been absolutely delighted with it up until just recently. The car has a host of extras :black panoramic roof,privacy glass,xenon lights ,puddle lamps parking sensors,reversing camera in fact almost fully loaded.
It looks stunning !! and I keep it in pristine condition.
Unfortunately while driving I noticed a drip of water coming from the headlining around the front interior lights and the rear view mirror.
I know we have experienced very poor weather conditions of late but never thought I would be afraid to take it out in the rain.
This car has rarely gone out in bad weather so I,m wondering if this fault has been there from new and fortunately not experienced severe sustained rainfall for it to show up until now.
The car is under warranty but I am apprehensive about it going in to STRATSTONES for investigation next Monday which will have been over 2weeks since I reported the problem.
Has anyone on this forum experienced this problem and if so would be very grateful for any advice offered.
many thanks
I've the same problem, it seems outrageous this can happen in a car of this quality, I've been told that the warranty will not cover the windscreen, I've been in touch with land rover and they said they were sorry but I must go back to the dealer, so far they have only offered 20% off the bill which is rubbish, its a fault from manufacture and if my insurance won't pay up I will be going back to them, I will be asking for the excess back too.

#12 ·
Hi ... this is a really old thread.... I did manage to get my windscreen leak repaired under warranty after being told by dealership it wasn’t covered ... I did it through contacting JLR complaints and saying that this would eventually cause electric components on dash to get damaged... it is recognised as a common fault ... I had to have mine inspected before they would agree to work , I refused to pay for that too as I told them I was aware of other members on here having it repaired under warranty..... will I think I was aware😘🤷‍♀️

#14 ·
Mine was removed ... re sealed and replaced... apparently when being installed the top corners are vulnerable if not enough sealant applied😳... they argued that seals leaks where not part of warranty ... I argued it wasn’t a seal as such as it’s part of integrity of car and can’t be replaced and shouldn’t leak in the first place

#21 ·
You should not have to pay to be told that you have a leaking windscreen, it probably will not be covered by the warranty but as its a recognised problem they should come to an agreement, the problem is that the windscreen might break when they take it out and then it gets very expensive, I've argued that it shouldn't have happened in the first place as my car was only just 4 years old when I noticed the problem, they have offered to pay me half towards the cost after I went to JLR, it still shouldn't happen to a car of this quality.

#20 ·
Mine is a 2015 ... it was still under warranty when it leaked ... dealership told me it wasn’t covered by warranty so I got onto JLR complaints until they resolved it , wasn’t easy but in my opinion it’s not right that if the bonding holding the screen in place develops a leak it shouldn’t be classed as a seal ... ie a rubber seal that might perish... eventually they caved in ... took it to there bodyshop for inspection and guy jus stated it’s a common problem and booked it in for the day my steering rack failed ... they gave me it back 4 weeks later as it was out of warranty at this point with both repairs carried out for free ... and gave me a big brand new discovery for the 4 weeks too 👍

#22 ·
Update on my case:
  • taken the car to the dealer and i was told i need to pay 180 gbp to evaluate the damage (did not have to pay in advance but i would need to pay when picking up the car)
  • dealer informed me and jaguar warrany department that indeed seems to be a manufacturing problem and provided a total cost of over 2 grand.
  • case was then raised with jaguar warranty department which agreed instantly to pay 80% of the cost. I did not agree with paying anything since its a manufacturing issue and i dis not have anything to do with the damage.
  • the case was further reviewed and one week later jaguar agreed to pay for the full amount.
This being said i can’t compain about jaguar customer service.
Hope this info will help other members.

#25 ·
I found the same problem in my just purchased approved used car in Sept. The dealershop is asking the 180 checking fee as well. I wrote an email to customer service and the dealershop. Hope they would consider this is the manufacture problem which should be covered. What's a nightmare.

#26 ·
I agreed to the fee but wasnt asked to pay in advance therefore after a few weeks JLR agreed to pay for everything as this is obviously a manufacuting isssue (for example the windshield was original and not replaced. If it would be a replaced windshield, then i could see them blaiming on someone else), the 180 gbp was covered by jlr.

#28 ·
@andrea101002 - Donna mentions on page 1 of this thread that it did get sorted:

#37 ·
Update on my case, the dealershop checked my vehicle and provide a £450 quotation for it. I am going to reject it since it is obvious is a manufacture problem. :(
If you can see the windscreen when they take it off you will see the seal will be missing where the leak is, it's totally unacceptable and it should recognised as the manufacturing fault it is, good luck.

#31 ·
Sorry, I provide more details now. I purchased an approved used car from a dealershop at late Sept 2020. Minor droplet was found at mid Nov and I reported to the dealershop. Since I need to use the vehicle daily and I planned to repair it after the winter. Unfortunately, the problem is being serious after the snow day in early Jan 2021. I reported to the dealershop and requested to services, dealershop arranged the services at early Feb which asking a £180 checking charge. Again, bad luck, the vehicle cannot start in late Jan and I called the road assist to start the vehicle and a prelim checking. It is found the seal between the windsheild and roof is damaged and the rain/water direct goes into the vehicle. The road assist urge the dealershop to reeceive my vehicle asap. After 1 week checking, the dealershop said the manufacturer would provide an offer 80% contribution towards the total repair for both new windscreen and rear camera replacement. This would give me a further 2 year warranty on these items and would come to a rough total of £450 inc vat. I replied the dealershop these should be covered by the warranty and request they reconsider the overall price.

Hope these would give everyone a clear picture for my case.

#32 ·
Wow, I am stunned that they are asking you for a contribution to a clear manufacturer latent defect.

I would tell them that as they have accepted liability and they wish to discuss contributions that you would be willing to do so but that works both ways.....the net would be a further liability to them for inconvenience, stress etc.......so happy to discuss that further......

....in reality just tell them to F off and get it fixed.......don’t be polite...it gets you no where at this stage is my experience with JLR....fine to start off that way but once they start taking the piss.....just ask them the old yes/no question ie what would they do in your situation when this is a clear manufacture fault ie pay a contribution or expect said manufacturer to pull his finger out and sort it FOC before you get really annoyed......yes or no ......which one ?

Reactions: Ka Ng
#33 ·
They just replied that since there is a water ingress problem which show is not covered in the warranty. That's why they asked me to pay for it partly. I replied according to the warranty handbook, if the water ingress is caused by me (which is left opened sunroof/windows/door, flooding, or damaged door/windows/sunroof) which should not be covered. But there is not my case which is caused by a manufacturer problem in the windshield seal. All water is come from the windshield and they refuse the receive the vehicle asap and cause more water goes into the vehicle. Let's see what will they reply again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.