Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Got a 12 plate Evoque when I get up to the speed of around 50mph and accelerate I get a vibration that feels like its coming from under the car, I have had all new tyres put onto the car these have been balanced and I had the 4 wheel aligned, all this was done at the same garage but its still doing it, I have also had the drive shaft plus the wheel bearings checked with no signs of movement so I'm at a loss any ideas please.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
171 Posts
Could it be the driveshaft needs balancing ? There may be no movement, but it could still be out of balance (or bent).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Kevk, has the car always done this whilst you’ve owned it or after you’d put new tyres on etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Robwed
It’s only been doing this since I had the new tyres on, all the checks & test have been doing after as well, the only thing I’ve noticed is that the wheels that was on the front are now on the back but I don’t think that would make much of a difference.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I have found that rotating large alloy wheels can have an effect even with new tyres, try swapping them about-you may have one or two misshapen wheels-it does happen.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So, if the only thing that has changed is the tyres & wheel location, the chances are pretty high that it’s something to do with that. Yes there could be the coincidence that something else has broken at the same time, but it’s not as likely.

You could try putting the wheels back where they were, but if you do so check the tyre pressures as they’re different front to back.

It could be a dodgy tyre, it’s not unheard of that some sort of manufacturing defect could be making a tyre vibrate when under load.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Yes, Dodgy tyres, once had four NON round ones on a Montego (many years ago) all four were not true-had fun on a Fiday afternoon sorting that at the dealer when i was off to france the next morning-but managed it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This does sound like a wheel problem.You'd have thought bad tyres would have shown up when they tried to balance them. I would first consider taking it back to the garage who did the work and explaining your problem - maybe a balance weight has come off, probably stick on ones for alloy wheels.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Big wheels are harder to balance anyway. ask when their machine was last calibrated.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,951 Posts
Yes, Dodgy tyres, once had four NON round ones on a Montego (many years ago) all four were not true-had fun on a Fiday afternoon sorting that at the dealer when i was off to france the next morning-but managed it.
I'm amazed you admit to having had a Montego 🤣🤣

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Probably didn't have wheel balance machines back then ;)

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
It was my very first "brand new company car" all the others had bee hand me downs, so it has a special place for me.
electric sunroof & windows, very advanced for its time-shite in every other way mind!!!

They used to have the "on car balancers then" very accurate not allowed now 'cos of europe-Wankers!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, I remember them - you had to make sure the wheel went back on in exactly the same position if removed - 'them were days lad'.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
No need to fix things if they're not broken!!!

Reactions: Robwen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone get a few more things to try, will let you know if any work

·
Registered
82 Posts
Still think it's got to be wheel related, but the only other thing I thought was maybe the anti-vibration rubber attached to rear exhaust pipe had come off - doubtful.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
171 Posts
It’s only been doing this since I had the new tyres on
Ah, that makes a difference. As others have said, it surely must be a tyre then. I had a bad tyres (non-round) that would get balanced on the machine OK but would cause dreadful vibration at around 60 - 70 mph. After changing them again, all was good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts