Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - hoping someone can shed some light and share a bit of knowledge ...

So, used Evoque purchase a few weeks ago - transpires the dealer replaced front tyres (for MOT) with budget tyre (RoadX) that has a lower speed rating to rear tyres (which are 7mm Pirelli’s).
I had an issue with vibration at 50 MPH+ which my local garage says is down to the cheap tyres causing balance/differential issues.

My question - should the dealer (Renault main dealer) have replaced tyres with same speed rating/same tyre brand? I’m ready for the battle but just want some advice/facts to ensure I’m on firm ground. My local garage says yes, they should have.

Thoughts? Cheers!!

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,256 Posts
Not sure what speed rating the replacement tyres are but the Pirelli Scorpion Verde's are 99 or 103 load rating and V speed rated as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As long as they are legal for the vehicle and I would presume they are then the dealer can put what they want on it. The tyre company wouldn’t want to put illegal tyres on it and it’s been through an MOT so would think all is legal. The downside now is you have good tyres on the back and cheapies on the front, maybe try changing front to rears and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, local garage swapped round and that has made a difference. I just want to ensure no long lasting diff damage/issue as a result of garage cutting corners. Found an interesting bit of text from Land Rover website saying something about tyre speed ratings

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trevorguy, that was my concern. I suppose if they’ve not sought/followed JLR guidance on tyres at point of sale, and said tyres are then responsible for a problem further down the line, they would at least share some responsibility?!? Long shot I know ...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Worth approaching the selling dealer with that info then. As has been pointed out, they can put on more or less anything as long as it’s legal and not dangerous.
If the speed rating isn’t the same or better than the originals, you do seem to have a claim there. At least ask for a contribution to replacements if they won’t actually replace them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If there legal and the rating is adequate for the vehicle then I think your fighting a losing battle.

We brought a Mini Paceman last year and the rear tyres were feathered. We ended up having to buy new tyres, I did try to get the garage to pay but because it passed its MOT before we collected it they refused.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers chaps for advice and thoughts.

Just looked and the tyres they put on are H rated (replacing worn V rated Pirellis). Pair already on car are also V - when I enter reg number in any of the market leading tyre fitters, they only give option of V rated tyres.
Does anyone know what speed rating are fitted to new Evoque back in 2016?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Speed rating is not a reason for an mot failure.

·
Super Moderator
2,506 Posts
What speed rating are the cheap tyres? Speed rating wont cause vibration as such, so other damage, poor balancing or just poor build quality is more likely.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,256 Posts
Cheers chaps for advice and thoughts.

Just looked and the tyres they put on are H rated (replacing worn V rated Pirellis). Pair already on car are also V - when I enter reg number in any of the market leading tyre fitters, they only give option of V rated tyres.
Does anyone know what speed rating are fitted to new Evoque back in 2016?
V speed rated are factory fitment

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think the OP’s point is that the notice from JLR says at least the same speed rating tyres as the originals must be fitted. Clearly the cheap replacements fitted by her selling dealer were lower rating.
They would still pass an MOT & unless faulty shouldn‘t cause vibration unless not balanced correctly when fitting, but they shouldn’t have been fitted according to the advice from JLR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, thanks for all the comments and advice. Yes, just trying to pull together a few facts to go back to dealer. I know they can hide behind MOT pass, therefore legal, but not following manufacturer’s recommendations (for a main dealer, albeit Renault) is pretty poor show. I shall ask for their used car policy and servicing procedures etc. Pretty sure if I dig I’ll find they haven’t followed their own procedures/met their own standards. They may not be interested but I shall try my best and have some fun! Really helpful to know that V rated are manufacturer’s fit. Any other thoughts/advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would demand that the correct speed rated tyres are fitted - maybe trading standards could get involved as the tyres, being lower spec than standard, have now made the vehicle not fit for purpose. Also, nobody seems to have mentioned the insurance aspect of all this. Try asking your insurance company if it’s okay to fit lower spec tyres on your car and see what they say - they may not want to insure you! Tyres are one of the things looked at in the event of a serious accident.........

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,026 Posts
What 2016 model are you driving and what are is the tyre size?

On a 4 year old Range Rover I would expect premium brand tyres of the correct size and speed rating.
RoadX are not a brand I’ll be fitting any time soon:-(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would demand that the correct speed rated tyres are fitted - maybe trading standards could get involved as the tyres, being lower spec than standard, have now made the vehicle not fit for purpose. Also, nobody seems to have mentioned the insurance aspect of all this. Try asking your insurance company if it’s okay to fit lower spec tyres on your car and see what they say - they may not want to insure you! Tyres are one of the things looked at in the event of a serious accident.........
Cheers - yes, agreed. Hadn’t thought about TS and will certainly give my insurers a call. Have called and emailed dealer so will see the tone of their response, but I get the feeling it may be a battle ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What 2016 model are you driving and what are is the tyre size?

On a 4 year old Range Rover I would expect premium brand tyres of the correct size and speed rating.
RoadX are not a brand I’ll be fitting any time soon:-(
2016 TD4 SE Tech on 235/60 18
And no, I certainly don’t recommend ROADX, unless you like your wheels to hum a tune

·
Registered
66 Posts
Land Rover used to publish their tyre specs on TOPIx, but I can't find it on the current version. The latest update I can find is one I downloaded in 2013, of which the relevant bit is
225/65 R17 106 V Dunlop Grantrek Touring A/S Germany   AS OE
235/60R18 103 V Michelin Latitude Tour HP Hungary 595767  AS OE
235/60R18 107 V Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season UK 2056000   AS OE
235/55R19 105 V Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season UK 1959800   AS OE
235/55R19 105 V Continental CrossContact UHP E Potugal 350725   AT-S OE
235/55R19 105 V Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV Germany  AS OE
245/45R20 103 V Continental CrossContact UHP E Potugal 350726  AT-S OE
245/45R20 99 V Michelin Latitude Sport Hungary 290116  AT-S OE
225/65R17 102 T Continental CrossContact Winter 0354031    Winter Accessory
235/60R18 107 H Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 1526800    Winter Accessory
235/55R19 105 H Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 1717500    Winter Accessory
235/55R19 105 H Continental CrossContact Winter 0354041    Winter Accessory L359
245/45R20 103 V Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 1805600    Winter Accessory
235/55 R19 105 T Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV    Winter Accessory

Basically, all the factory fitted tyres are V rated. Some H and T variants are allowed as WINTER TYRES, but I suspect this was only because V rated variants were not available.
EDIT. Here's a link to the original document: https://www.rangerovers.net/attachments/land-rover-tire-matrix-current-approvals-2013-pdf.17616/

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t come back with roadx are Pirelli budget range I certainly would not go lower than V rated tyre the JLR ratings will have been tested based on speed and weight of the car if you have no joy go to trading standards and report it I personally would go and get them replaced straight away you and your families safety is paramount for the sake of 3 to 4 hundred quid

1 - 20 of 24 Posts