Evoque Owners Club banner

Tyre pressure warning on after new wheels

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  CaptainNick 
#1 ·
Hello All

So I've upgrade my wheels from 17's to 20's. The new tyres must not been fitted with TPV's and therefore the warning light has come on as the car can't take a reading. Well I'm assuming its that.

So can I retro fit TPV's whilst they are on the car? Where can I get them? Do I need a special tool? How do I reset / set the TPV on the car?

OK OK yeah I'm blonde... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hi and welcome , I'm fairly sure you'll need to get a tyre place to take the tyres off both sets of wheels and change the sensors from your old set to the new set. I think this would be much cheaper than buying a new set of sensors. Someone more knowledgeable might know differently though.

Nothing wrong with blondes, we have blonde Donna our tech expert on here already ?

#4 ·
When I changed my wheels and tyres the tyre fitter changed the TPMV over no problem.

#5 ·
Yeah, what XZ4 said,definitely the cheapest and easiest option if the new wheels don't have TPM Valves.

However, I'd like to know if you do change the wheels over to another set with JLR TPMV's already in, do you have to get the system coded to accept the new valves or does it accept them automatically?

#6 ·
Yes you do need to swop the TPMS over-simple job, surprised the fitter didn't automatically do this for you to be honest.

#7 ·
As an aside, does the system know "where" the valves are, ie swapping wheels front to rear does it sense this?

#8 ·
Can’t help you there but I’m sure someone can

#11 ·
On my other car RCZ, the dealer told me I couldn’t swap front to rear because of the tpms sensors being “coded” to each corner.
I mentioned this on the forum & a flood of owners saying of course you can - I do it all the time, the car is OK with it. So I would think the RRE should be OK too.
But your right about there being one definite way to find out.

#13 ·
The first thing to do is check to see if TPMS sensors have been fitted.
If the valve stem is the old type of flexible rubber then you don't have them.
TPMS sensors have a threaded metal valve stem with a securing nut at the base.
Decent tyre places can supply and fit new sensors and they can also code them to the type of car.
A lot of aftermarket suppliers will supply them pre-coded.
The problem will be is that the car has been set up with pressures from the factory for the size of wheels it came with.
Unless this is changed then it may often throw alerts if the pressures for the factory settings and the new wheels/tyres are pretty far apart.

#14 ·
That is a good point PhilB
as mentioned, only one way to find out.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the responses, defo have the old style fitted. They were bought off Ebay (I here the cringes !) So I now have to find an open garage to get these swapped out.

Good point on the car set up PhilB. So that will mean a trip to LR Service centre...
Nothing is ever straight forward. Oh well, still the car looks awesome with the new wheels... what a difference they make. :) Defo worth the swap.

#17 ·
Good point on the car set up PhilB. So that will mean a trip to LR Service centre...
I'm sure an Indy or someone with the right kind of coding device can reset the TPMS system for you, you wont need to pay Stealer prices to get it done. Would probably be cheaper to buy your own device to do it rather than pay a Stealer. I have a OBD2 dongle that connects to my Android mobile and allows me to reset various things and code injectors and sensors etc on various cars. Only cost me $22 USD delivered but they're not available now. Something similar is available for $50 for 1 or 2 vehicles.

#16 ·
There's light and full load settings available, so might help as a work around if you've changed wheels? I'm assuming you get a warning if pressure drops below a preset, but do you get one if over inflated, must be a fair tolerance to allow for rise in pressure at high speeds.

#18 ·
If you have correct LR TPMS valves they adjust automatically to the car and don't need resetting. When I bought a spare set of wheels (for winter tyres) for the DS I had LR valves fitted by AJS (FL2 Forum sponsors) with the new tyres and they worked straight away. I've transferred the wheels to my new Evoque and again they worked straight away with no need to reset anything. If you use non-Land Rover valves though they may need to be set up for the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.