Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Turbo failure has been diagnosed and a bill of £2K! Is this a trend or a one off as its only happened at 39K miles. Anyone else had the same issue?

Richard

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,892 Posts
Unfortunately it does happen - try a forum search.
Forums mostly contain all the bad news stories and owners rarely post to say their turbo's still running fine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Mine had the same problem. It was the turbo actuator that failed and LR don't supply that separately, an exchange turbo was supplied and fitted by my dealer at the ugly cost of £1.6k.

There is a thread on here somewhere (I'll try and find it) where a member found a place that refurbishes actuators at a much more reasonable cost. It wasn't practical for me to explore that as my car was already at the dealer and for me to get the car, have the actuator removed, repaired and refitted was too much of a ballache.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,000 Posts
Wow two grand, sorry to hear that.

Fortunately this is not a common failure.

·
Registered
2014 2.2 DW12C DIESEL 5DR SERIES, Firenze red, silver Pano roof, 20inch wheels and other toys
5 Posts
Hi
Turbo failure has been diagnosed and a bill of £2K! Is this a trend or a one off as its only happened at 39K miles. Anyone else had the same issue?

Richard
And it's a ME TOO from me. Not looking forward to my trip to the garage on Monday.
From what I understand the turbos have variable pitch vanes which are activated by a motor. It is this motor which can fail and the failure can be caused through a build up of crud on the shaft between motor and vanes. A friend had a similar problem on his Audi, bought a new motor and cleaned all the shafts and all is good. So no replacement of actuator, turbo or WHY. Any views on this?

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Sorry have no idea just bumping this thread in the hope one of the more technical guys picks up on it @PhilSkill , etc

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic 2012
12 Posts
I have just been advised by a local mechanic that my turbo possibly requires replacing after showing the restricted performance error and experiencing a loss gradual loss of power.

After reading up on the restricted performance error causes on the forum I was and still am hoping it is just one of the following known causes that have been stated previously and that I have listed below.

• Low battery voltage
  • DPF Sensor issue
  • Engine control module requires reflashing
  • Split in turbo hose / Split in intercooler to throttle hose
  • EGR valve sticking
I do have a 6 month RAC warranty which I hope will cover the repair cost should it be the turbo.

The mechanic has had the car for a week today (providing very little updates in that time) only saying he has emailed someone else to see if they can repair it.

Just wondering if any that have had their turbo replaced could let me know how long roughly the repair takes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just been advised by a local mechanic that my turbo possibly requires replacing after showing the restricted performance error and experiencing a loss gradual loss of power.

After reading up on the restricted performance error causes on the forum I was and still am hoping it is just one of the following known causes that have been stated previously and that I have listed below.

• Low battery voltage
  • DPF Sensor issue
  • Engine control module requires reflashing
  • Split in turbo hose / Split in intercooler to throttle hose
  • EGR valve sticking
I do have a 6 month RAC warranty which I hope will cover the repair cost should it be the turbo.

The mechanic has had the car for a week today (providing very little updates in that time) only saying he has emailed someone else to see if they can repair it.

Just wondering if any that have had their turbo replaced could let me know how long roughly the repair takes?
Hi there,

I seem to be in the same situation as you. My evoque went into limp mode, with no warning lights, no splits in hose/intercooler or any other obvious issue. I initially thought it was a battery issue as I have problems with the door locking, however, the battery seems to be running fine.

The car has been with the mechanic since Monday (3/AUG/2020), and only today they have managed to diagnose the issue. Apparently the turbo has 'seized up' and will need replacing.

I am going in tommorow to have a look.

will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic 2012
12 Posts
Hi there,

I seem to be in the same situation as you. My evoque went into limp mode, with no warning lights, no splits in hose/intercooler or any other obvious issue. I initially thought it was a battery issue as I have problems with the door locking, however, the battery seems to be running fine.

The car has been with the mechanic since Monday (3/AUG/2020), and only today they have managed to diagnose the issue. Apparently the turbo has 'seized up' and will need replacing.

I am going in tommorow to have a look.

will keep you guys updated.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you seem to be in the same unfortunate position as myself in regards to the possible turbo failure.

My evoque has now been at the garage for a total grand total of 3 weeks tomorrow now with me having to call every week to just get an update.

As previously mentioned the mechanic did say the turbo apparently needs replacing (I'm still yet to find out the reason/cause for the apparent failure) and I'm still finding hard to believe given the car was only purchased from a dealer just over 2 months ago had undergone a full inspection and service before purchase and had only been driven around 500 miles since me purchasing it.

After not hearing anything from the garage since my last call on Tuesday last week I called again today and was told that he had sent the turbo off to another place to be reconditioned and is waiting for it to be returned.

Do you have any warranty cover? If not I would recommend requesting that the mechanic has your turbo reconditioned if possible as from what I have read and been told by the mechanic who has my car is that a new turbo can be around the £1,700 - £2,000 mark which I believe is before labour costs.

·
Registered
2014 2.2 DW12C DIESEL 5DR SERIES, Firenze red, silver Pano roof, 20inch wheels and other toys
5 Posts
And it's a ME TOO from me. Not looking forward to my trip to the garage on Monday.
From what I understand the turbos have variable pitch vanes which are activated by a motor. It is this motor which can fail and the failure can be caused through a build up of crud on the shaft between motor and vanes. A friend had a similar problem on his Audi, bought a new motor and cleaned all the shafts and all is good. So no replacement of actuator, turbo or WHY. Any views on this?
Had an update from my garage. They sent the turbo off to have it reconditioned (the cheapest of 3 options from £1850 +VAT+labour down) and had a reply to say the turbo, I guess the outer blades, are gummed up with soot etc. They will clean, service and return. I think this will mean additionally replacing the actuator and job done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you seem to be in the same unfortunate position as myself in regards to the possible turbo failure.

My evoque has now been at the garage for a total grand total of 3 weeks tomorrow now with me having to call every week to just get an update.

As previously mentioned the mechanic did say the turbo apparently needs replacing (I'm still yet to find out the reason/cause for the apparent failure) and I'm still finding hard to believe given the car was only purchased from a dealer just over 2 months ago had undergone a full inspection and service before purchase and had only been driven around 500 miles since me purchasing it.

After not hearing anything from the garage since my last call on Tuesday last week I called again today and was told that he had sent the turbo off to another place to be reconditioned and is waiting for it to be returned.

Do you have any warranty cover? If not I would recommend requesting that the mechanic has your turbo reconditioned if possible as from what I have read and been told by the mechanic who has my car is that a new turbo can be around the £1,700 - £2,000 mark which I believe is before labour costs.
When my 2 year P+L warranty expired I investigated extending it through LR. This would have been around £900 for a year!! Checking with MotorEasy, their offering came cheaper at around £800 and they did have cheaper still versions with higher excess and restricted cover. Unfortunately I decided against and will now have to foot the bill for a seized turbo. Mind you prices quoted for warranty reflect the unfortunate poor reliability of the Evoque.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update

So, i've visited the mechanic today and he has told me the turbo has effectively 'seized up', meaning you can't spin it even with your fingers. The car has done 42,000 miles which is a bit worrying and apparently this may have been caused by running the wrong engine oil. The issue with my petrol evoque is that the turbo is attached to the manifold, which is different from the diesel models where you can detach the turbo quite easily. At the moment they are working on getting the turbo off to inspect it more closely.

They told me these turbos are difficult to get a hold of and quoted me £975, with around £400 VAT. This seems too pricey for a turbo.
I had a look on ebay and found this Ebay Turbo . I also called bestturbo.com and they quoted me a similar price for a 2014 evoque turbo.

As it stands I may just order the turbo from either ebay or bestturbo and ask the mechanic to fit it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update

So, i've visited the mechanic today and he has told me the turbo has effectively 'seized up', meaning you can't spin it even with your fingers. The car has done 42,000 miles which is a bit worrying and apparently this may have been caused by running the wrong engine oil. The issue with my petrol evoque is that the turbo is attached to the manifold, which is different from the diesel models where you can detach the turbo quite easily. At the moment they are working on getting the turbo off to inspect it more closely.

They told me these turbos are difficult to get a hold of and quoted me £975, with around £400 VAT. This seems too pricey for a turbo.
I had a look on ebay and found this Ebay Turbo . I also called bestturbo.com and they quoted me a similar price for a 2014 evoque turbo.

As it stands I may just order the turbo from either ebay or bestturbo and ask the mechanic to fit it.
Similar to mine in as much as it is seized because it is gummed up with soot and crud. My diesel turbo is being reconditioned, basically clean all the crud off and a squirt with an oil can. LR quote £1850 for a new turbo +VAT, and I was quoted £900 to have a reconditioned one. I am expecting a cost somewhat below this for reconditioning - but we'll see. A petrol engine - quite rare I would think!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts