Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front driver-side tire blewout last month. 245/45 R20 Michelan Latitude, summer tire. Stupidity strikes once again. Made a last-minute decision to make a right turn into the driveway at the bank, the passenger-side tire found the driveway, the driver side (as we drive on the wrong side) wasn't that fortunate and hit the 7" tall concrete curb, head-on, at about 3mph. I felt quite a jar, and knew something was not kosher, so I pulled into the nearest parking space. I was able to watch the tire deflate and hear the last few breaths of air escape, a very sad scene indeed. There was sidewall damage (the tire is toast) and a tiny dent in the $650 shadow chrome wheel (just shoot me now!). But making the best out of the situation, it was a good chance to try out the space saver spare tire and repair jack tools. I am happy to report that the jack and crank take very little effort and raise the vehicle quickly and safely, and I imagined that the electronic parking brake was doing its thing too. I was through in about 12 minutes, but there was a short learning curve, so next time (heaven forbid) I could possibly shave 5 minutes off the time. (Not ready for Indy yet). I drove with the spare tire at 50mph and felt safe, till I could get to the repair shop the next day. Note, the collision caused the black plastic trim surrounding the wheel well to slightly dislocate. I can see that there is a plastic hook that is no longer in its slot, and I don't want to mess with it (got the tire changed without incident, so I will quit while I'm ahead). I had Costco replace the tire, but I didn't let them touch the trim.So I will return to the dealer, as there is a 1/2 inch gap in the black plastic flare surrounding the wheel well. No other front end damage, a testament to the geometry of the approach angle, and the wheel is OK. The lesson learned here is that low profile tires need to be treated with a little more respect, and that I need to make my driving decisions a little sooner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
However, if you are in a car<b style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: left; ">accident[/b]with another driver who experiences a<b style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: left; ">tire[/b]- related<b style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: left; ">mishap[/b], you may not be responsible for the damages........http://settlement-cash-structured-for-flow.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
On a related note to the sensitivity of low profiles my wife has an Audi A1 Sportsline with LP tyres.

Its 6 months old and its hit the kerb twice at no more than 5mph - on both occasions the tyres had to be replaced. Not only that the injection system is so crap it prevents the tyres from being repaired and its tricky to use. We now have a spare in the A1. And it was the 1st 'extra' I ordered on my Evoque !

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 20" wheels may look flashy, but the low profile rubber doesn't give much protection against curbs. I have some similar marks on my other ride's wheels. I called a wheel shop and they told me they would be able to make them like new for about $150-$200 a wheel.

I haven't pulled the plug on the deal yet as they need to keep the vehicle overnight. And I'm semi-thinking of selling it and going 100% Evoquing. The only thing keeping me from selling the other ride (VW Eos convertible) is that I do like to drive it in nice weather with the breeze over my head. Tough decision. If I decide that I can't let the Eos go, I'm going to get the wheels fixed as I hate to see them when I get into the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts