Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know what Evoque's have a timing belt and which have a chain.

I am also keen to know at what intervals a belt should be changed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i believe the diesels have a chain.

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
There you go guys & Gals Fits all 2.2 to 2015. Transit, Freelander, Evoque, Mondeo & many more with same engine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sure i read somewhere on Transit van the timing belt was 150,000 miles. Would never leave that long though. My Trafic van is 90,000 but i changed mine at 60,000. Always in the back of your mind, what if, ????

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
So does anyone have any idea what the ingenium engine has?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Oldgit said:
Timing chain, not belt. It's located at the back of the engine, so the gearbox has the come off to get to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
AndyM said:
Oldgit said:
Timing chain, not belt. It's located at the back of the engine, so the gearbox has the come off to get to it.
Sounds like an expensive operation to replace a warn chain.
I have looked in my "Service, Warrantee & Assistance" book and the owners handbook and cannot find any reference to long term routine replacement of parts. Anybody know here to find the requirements? 2016 2.0l Diesel.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
AndyM said:
Oldgit said:

Thanks Andy. Good job I don't do high mileage these days!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
There,s a good chance the chain will last the life of the engine or thereabouts. BMW chains go on forever. Old rover V8 chains where bombproof. If its a duplex then should be long life.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I believe is a duplex. As you say, it should have a long life - just one more reason to be very careful with service intervals and oil changes - I know a I bang on about it, but whatever the promises made, I'm still very wary of the two year/20000 mile service interval promise - if I owned an ingenium, I'd willing pay for an extra annual oil and filter change every other year. As it is, my SD4 gets an annual oil change on the button, which at current mileage amounts to every 4500 miles on average so far!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thats probably a good strategy to have. Nothing worse than carbonized oil for wearing bearings , chains, tensioners, everything.

·
Registered
2011 RRE Black Dynamic Lux Auto
26 Posts
Was going to start a new thread but saw this thread and thought I'd ask on here.
I've got a 2011 dynamic lux 2.2 diesel automatic. Does anyone know if it has a chain or a belt?
As it's 10 years old now and done over 134,000 miles I'm a bit worried as I haven't any paperwork to say it's had its timing belt changed.
Should I get it done (or anything else important)? Could my mechanic maybe tell by looking at it if it looked old and worn? Also any idea of how much a replacement would be and where to buy from?
Cheers in advance....Malita!

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
475 Posts
It's a belt - Land Rover changed the intervals from 10 to 7 years (not sure about mileage), but yours definitely needs doing.
The parts usually come as a kit with water pump and idlers. Often you can't see any wear on the parts, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't change them.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,711 Posts
It's a belt - Land Rover changed the intervals from 10 to 7 years (not sure about mileage), but yours definitely needs doing.
The parts usually come as a kit with water pump and idlers. Often you can't see any wear on the parts, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't change them.
Iirc it's 7 years or 112000 miles, whichever comes first

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
It's a belt, doubt you can tell unless it can be identified as not a LR OEM part from a logo on it?, and if you dont know the history at that mileage I would definitely get it done. the water pump should be done at the same time, since actually thats the bit that will likely cause the belt to go, and so get your coolant replaced too, while you're at it put a new accessory belt on too. Then you are good for 7 years.

Reactions: MALITAA

·
Registered
2013 Evoque 2.2 SD4 Pure Tech in Mauritius Blue with White roof and Black Leather interior.
60 Posts
Was going to start a new thread but saw this thread and thought I'd ask on here.
I've got a 2011 dynamic lux 2.2 diesel automatic. Does anyone know if it has a chain or a belt?
As it's 10 years old now and done over 134,000 miles I'm a bit worried as I haven't any paperwork to say it's had its timing belt changed.
Should I get it done (or anything else important)? Could my mechanic maybe tell by looking at it if it looked old and worn? Also any idea of how much a replacement would be and where to buy from?
Cheers in advance....Malita!
I would get it changed myself for piece of mind as it’s due and you don’t know when last owner had it done. Timing belt kits come with the belt, tensioners and water pump and I would also change the crankshaft pulley bolt and alternator belt whilst you are at it. The coolant will also need changing.
my garage charged me £200 labour to do the job and I used a genuine timing kit I managed to find on EBay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts