·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
Thanks DF!!

I have had a read though I find the motoring press articles pretty useless.
To their credit (if they are correct) I didn't realise magna ride was now standard. Anyone know?

But as for the rest....
Either my senses are really dull or they are damning the 2.2 engine version unfairly.
Yes there is a diesel rumble when idling and moving off but from there on mine have both felt pretty refined and I recently had the ingenium engine on a discovery sport when mine was in for a service.
I travelled the same mixed A roads, towns and motorway and frankly it was no better. But my point is not to **** the ingenium engine, it's to praise the 2.2 lump as just fine. I'll not trade the little but of extra muscle it has for a quieter idle as a conscious choice.

Also, the small rear window means bog all to me. If you have Parking Sensors and a driving ability worthy of passing the test standard, it's irrelevant in all but styling and your perception.
We have had members on here complain about boot size after they bought the car too!
Well.....I don't even have a polite answer for that type of complaint. Perhaps they shrink after you buy the car.

Edited by: kojak

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
kojak said:
To their credit (if they are correct) I didn't realise magna ride was now standard. Anyone know?

Nope. Not on any variant unless it's being brought back for the MY16.5 update. They probably got that info from when it was standard on the Dynamic.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
kojak said:
We have had members on here complain about boot size after they bought the car too!
When we changed from our FL2 to the Evoque, the very first thing we did was to go to a showroom and measure the boot floor area to make sure our dog crate fitted. We had about 4" spare in the FL2 and it juuuust fitted the Evoque. We couldn't have gone smaller as it wouldn't have been fair on the dog. I know, I know, it's just a dog but the dog sees more use in the car than me or my wife do individually!
Edited by: Steve D

·
Registered
883 Posts
I often wonder if the journalist writing the report on a specific car has ever driven one for more than a quick half hour test. I make this statement after reading about the supposedly rough engine that was fitted prior to the ingenium engine. I have covered plenty of motorway miles at speeds 70mph (ish) and have never thought of the engine noise being excessive in fact quite the opposite compared to other cars I have owned/driven/ridden in over the years.

This is Money said:
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">There's a marked step-up in refinement thanks to the new 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine, which remedies the most infuriating characteristic of the first-launched car.That's because the outgoing 2.2-litre motor powering the Evoque was a stark contradiction to the rest of the car.Impressions of luxury and style filtered to your eyes by the sculpted exterior and well-finished cabin was soon forgotten the moment you pressed the ignition button ""” the rumbling tone and shudder produced by the juddering engine soon switched your mindset from top-end motor to turbulent tractor.However, the new 'Ingenium' engine has addressed this flaw effectively. It produces a much lower hum at all speeds and is quiet enough to have a full-blown chat with the rear occupants without having to raise your voice (unless you really want to) even when cruising at 70mph.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've only driven one vehicle with the ingenium engine and even with the 9 speed gearbox it definitely felt underpowered compared to mine. Mind you, that was a Discovery Sport.

·
10,626 Posts
I too don't understand the SD4 criticism, it is a bit lumpy and noisy, but not for very long and if I have said it once I've said it loads of times, take an Evoque with that engine on a long run and you will be impressed especially if it is matched with the 9 speed auto.

I'm sure I and many others on here are better suited to comment on the car than someone who may have had the car for a week/weekend or less.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Evo-king said:
I'm sure I and many others on here are better suited to comment on the car than someone who may have had the car for a week/weekend or less.

Agree and that is why me and I am sure loads of others paid more attention to the comments on this forum before we went out and brought one compared to what was published elsewhere. [This is of course apart from what the Top Gear team said, in our household they can do no wrong
]

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
Steve D said:
kojak said:
When we changed from our FL2 to the Evoque, the very first thing we did was to go to a showroom and measure the boot floor area to make sure our dog crate fitted. We had about 4" spare in the FL2 and it juuuust fitted the Evoque. We couldn't have gone smaller as it wouldn't have been fair on the dog. I know, I know, it's just a dog but the dog sees more use in the car than me or my wife do individually!

And there, in a nut shell is how to avoid being disappointed!
Your dog is an important member of the family and you did what you needed to do.
You measured it !
Just be careful it doesn't shrink

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I would take these 'road testers for a week' with a pinch of salt, there is nothing wrong with the SD4, and fuel consumption for the diesel is reasonable enough considering size and weight of the Evoque.

QUOTE"As for the rear visibility, the high-positioned letterbox-style rear window is far from ideal, especially if you're backing-up towards something low to the ground that disappears pretty quickly as you close-in tailgate first"UNQUOTE

Answer is do not go in tailgate first

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thinks the SD4 is a great engine, one of the best. The journos do have to say something bad about a previous model to justify the positives of the new model and keep the advertisers (JLR in this case) happy ˜‰

Unfortunately, I won't be buying another Evoque, purely because they are going the wrong direction with the ingenium underpowered engines. Such a shame, because I love everything about the Evoque.

·
10,626 Posts
colin4x4 said:
QUOTE"As for the rear visibility, the high-positioned letterbox-style rear window is far from ideal, especially if you're backing-up towards something low to the ground that disappears pretty quickly as you close-in tailgate first"UNQUOTE

Answer is do not go in tailgate first

So why are so many other manufacturers mimicking the Evoque sloping roof and shallow rear visibility.

Are they going to comment on those cars in the same way?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have owned cars previously with rear visibility far worse than the Evoque and especially an Evoque with a reversing camera fitted.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Agreed _ I was a bit scared when i first got it after reading reviews etc but I find it fine and have had no issues - even with having to back down narrow country roads when they are too narrow to pass.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Really don't find it a problem. They should try a Honda CRZ coupe now that has restricted rear vision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts