Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While having a nose around under the battery cover I discovered what looks like a smaller secondary battery sited next to the standard 80Ah Battery.Any idea what this powers up - I'd take a wild guess at something to do with the alarm system?
Afraid I Could'nt make out any markings on it

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Wow I have had that cover off and never noticed that?

I'm gonna have to have another look and see if it's a 2014/15 thing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PhantomFlanFlinger said:
Yep, TSS (twin solenoid starter) battery, something has to keep all you electrics powered when the engine and thus alternator stops; you have to save a good battery for the restart.
Thanks for that - just googled TSS & got the rundown from the Jag XF spec - which it seems is identical

<strong style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">TSS/Stop-Start system[/b]The low emissions produced by the engine are helped further by Jaguar's Stop-Start system, which uses a Twin Solenoid Starter (TSS) to shut down the engine when the car comes to a halt and restarting it in less time than it takes for the driver's foot to move from the brake to the accelerator. The system also offers 'change of mind' functionality, enabling the engine to quickly restart even during its rundown phase to allow the driver to, for example, exploit a gap in traffic at a junction. An illuminated 'ECO' symbol appears on the Instrument Panel when the engine has been stopped by the system. Stop-Start can be turned off manually, but it will automatically be turned on again for the vehicle's next journey with every ignition cycle. The system operates in all modes apart from Reverse.The MY14 XF has a secondary battery fitted specifically for engine re-starting, meaning that all the normal car systems - such as the entertainment system, the ventilation and lights - continue to receive power from the standard car battery and are unaffected by the re-start. In addition, a complex control system ensures that the Stop/Start operation only occurs when the car does not require the engine for other functions.Ref :http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-gb/jaguar/news/2013/06/jag_xf_my2014_luxury_and_performance_as_standard_110613/

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
Take the car for a drive...

Why do you need to? although it looks like the terminals are available, just be careful not to short anything out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arianne said:
Hello!
The smaller battery is impossible to reach easy.
How can I charge it?
I'm guessing that the smaller Stop-Start battery is not doing its job, thats why you think you need to charge it.
If this is the case & the cars more than 3 years old, then its probably on its last legs, & you'll probably be better off fitting a new one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Stop & Go did not work at all in the last few months.I try to find the cause.

Now I've charged the main battery and I'll also try to charge the small one.

Is really hard to change the battery on the Evoque.

Does anyone know the details of the small battery? dimensions, amperage, capacity?

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
Found this on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-RR-Evoque-L538-Auxiliary-Battery-BJ32-19G207C-AA-2-2-D-140KW-2014/112652174615?hash=item1a3a97c517:g:CPUAAOSwLJ9aFVz5

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While researching the Aux battery, I also read about a problem with the "Gateway module" that can drain the aux battery - might also need checking out

http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/q634gateway-module-stay-awake-battery-drain_topic11809.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
I reached for the + pole on the aux battery and in just ~ 3 hours my Ctek 10 MXS reported the battery as charged.

Now Stop & Go works again.

From what I was able to see on the battery, is 14Ah, 12 V

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Arianne said:
...From what I was able to see on the battery, is 14Ah, 12 V
That ties in well with the 15Ah Exide above.
Could you make out any brand name or any other writing on it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did anyone manage to change the Aux battery on the evoque? I was told by Tayna baterties it is the EK151 battery as above?

Is it easy to replace? Or shall I just try and charge it?

My batteries are 5 years old i'm assuming (never changed) so is it best to replace the aux battery? My stop start does not work - no main battery problems so I assuming replacing the aux will rectify this...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took a glimpse with a photo camera to the battery.

I want to change it in the summer.

It's a Jaguar CX23-10C655-AC
12v-14Ah-200A

====
It seems to be
EXIDE EK151 AGM 12V 15AH 200A Auxiliary Battery JAGUAR LAND ROVER CX23-10C655-AC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts