Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I'm a scientist and a statistics nerd and love playing with data to determine what can be found.
Background: The Evoque is my work car, thus I keep a log of all kilometres travelled, fuel costs, etc. I log all this informationin a spreadsheet, and also capture the average speed and fuel consumption* inbetween each re-fuelling (*fuel consumption is calculated and NOT from the Evoque trip computer).

Aim: To determine the average speed that offers bestfuel consumption.

Methods/Materials: Evoque, spreadsheet, diesel.

Results: 21,111 km travelled in 18 months, 32 re-fuels.

Average speed: 43km/h (27 mph), range 35 - 69km/h (22 - 43 mph).

Average consumption: 8.5L/100km (33 mpg), range 7.7 - 9.6L/100km (37 - 29 mpg).

Mostly city/urban driving (~75%) with balance on freeways/motorways (~25%).

There is a linear relationship between speed andfuel consumption when travelling at average speedsbetween 35-60 km/h. When travelling at >60km/h, there is no improvement in fuel consumption.

Conclusion: To obtain the lowest fuel consumption, maintain an average speed of ~60km/h (37 mph).

Edited by: Evoque Down Under

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry Down Under but felt the need to balance this.........

Disclaimer: I'm a bloke going through a mid-life crisis

Background: The Evoque is the car I chose as it looks pretty neat, fuel consumption is not something that I bother about, if it was I would have bought one of those stupid Eco friendly monstrosities that would be written off every time I ran over wildlife.

Aim: to drive a car that looks cool, can shift itself and laugh at other road users stuck in the snow.

Methods/Materials: Evoque, Diesel, Lead Boot

Results: On 2nd Evoque, first one broke
Average Speed: average
Average Consumption: Don't know but getting loads of Nectar points at filling station.

There is a linear relationship between the size of drivers testicles, speed and adrenalin when travelling at average speeds between 100 - 150 km/h.

EFFECT OF SPEED ON UNDERPANTS

Conclusion: Just enjoy driving it and collecting Nectar points!

Happy New Year!Edited by: Fly Fifer

·
Registered
296 Posts
LOL

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
FF, LMAO!

·
Registered
480 Posts
EDU,
an interesting bit of information there, its something I have wondered about and wanted to produce but have not collected the data, so thanks.
If I remember correctly in the early days you questioned the effect of average speed on fuel consumption.

Fly Fifer, an alternative view it maybe, but to be honest its probably the view of most people on here. (i.e. main reason for choosing an Evoque is because of its style and capabilities)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FF - love it!

I should have prefaced my post stating that I'm not one of those frugal drivers - I drive how I feel, not to save money and/or achieve the best consumption. BTW, I'm about 20 years off my mid life crisis. As stated, I'm just a stats nerd.

If you can afford an Evoque, you can afford to drive it!

spud13 - you're welcome. Yes, you remember correctly - I have banged on a bit before about average speed and consumption.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just for my clarification what exactly was the result of the MPG ? A lot of numbers and confusing analysis with litres and KM which is a bit alien to some of us less intellectual mortals.
Looks to me that the factual calculation returns 33/MPG which is the same as what I seem to always get regardless of the driving style.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark, I added the MPG and MPH in brackets in the original post.

In essence, the best MPG figure is 37 MPG which was obtained travelling at an average speed of 37 miles per hour.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fly Fifer said:
EDU,

Glad you can take it in good part!

Mike
Of course! Your post was LOL material!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts