Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to say massive thanks to all of you who contribute regularly on this forum. You have massively helped me to choose the right car. After nearly 4-5 months, we pulled the trigger.

Background:

I might have mentioned that we both have been BMW fans for nearly 10-15 years and converted most of our family members and friend to buy BMWs. I guess Mrs got bored with her X3 and mentioned that she wanted to try Evoque.

So, I checked this forum and some other forums, and they were full of car-related troubles and most had ‘satisfying’ experience when dealing with the dealers. There was one thing common and every person said, ‘Despite these issues, I still love my Evoque.’

That is a bold statement and to fall in love with a car and keep it despite some issues means that car has something special to offer.

One of the legends from this forum pm’d me all the issues with modern Ingenium engines (for some reason my brain always read it magnum aka ice cream). I shared it with the Mrs and we thought to forget about this car.

However, every time I saw a well looked Evoque Dynamic with black pack on the road, I thought ‘Her personality will suit this car and vice versa’.

So, my criteria were 2014-2015 MY with the old 2.2 engine and try to get one with dealer warranty. Minimum Dynamic Lux and ideally with backpack. Without telling her, I kept hunting and kept listing x3 for sale.

We found a decent car (with dealer transferable warranty), however, I was extra paranoid. Minor jerk when putting into reverse was the issue and on the second visit, it was barely minimum (without any clunk). So, we pulled the trigger and bought the car.

Future Plans:

I like to enhance the looks of my cars and nothing OTT. This is something which you learn over the years. As it is Mrs car, so will have to stick with minimum stuff. The list which I made:

• Adding Sidestep (black stealth edition)
  • Internal LED lights including footwell, boot and vanity mirrors lights
  • Reverse LED lights
  • Rear lights smoked and matched to front black edition lights
  • Sealing the rear camera / Studying design issues and rectify it
  • Carbon Fibre (?probably fake) key cover
  • Razman’s boot led modification (will see how bright is boot LED bulb and if no good, will go with this).
  • Deleting SD4 lettering at the back. Tractor noise is enough to warn others that it’s a diesel.
  • Bonnet Grill
Things which I’d like to find out:

• Reverse mirror tilt is excessive compared to other cars and makes it unsafe imho. Is there a way to adjust it via coding or something?
  • Rear tyres are sitting in deeply. Has anyone added spacers at the back to give it a mean look and if yes, can you kindly share your side? I don’t want racer boy look but a bit more aggressive stance.
  • From late 2014, cars had TPMS. Build sheet has TPMS on it, however, I cannot locate the menu where I can see the temperature and air pressure in the tyres (used to BMW where you go to NBT and you can check these things).
  • Maps update- Nav is outdated especially when compared to Waze2- / BMW nav, so there is a big question mark? Is it worth updating the maps? I have looked for memory card and could not locate it. Does that mean, I have a nav which uses disc?
I guess this is enough for now and will start my build thread to cover these things.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Great write up ... now just need Doink and Maffy to talk you through the secret menu ...
The car looks bulky when you put the side steps on so don’t think wheel spacers would make too much of a difference.... is yours a 15 plate 2:2 or 65 2:0 litre

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,069 Posts
Good write up. Donna, says 2.2 are your specs in the same drawer as your spell checker 😜

Spacers

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
She's had a long day eating all those free Pizza's, Chocolate and cakes-let her rest.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Great write up ... now just need Doink and Maffy to talk you through the secret menu ...
The car looks bulky when you put the side steps on so don’t think wheel spacers would make too much of a difference.... is yours a 15 plate 2:2 or 65 2:0 litre
Its over to you Donna, only a woman could find the secret menu, men are crap at finding fings!

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
What did I spell wrongly now ...lol....Doink you changed you’re play list last week so let you and Maffy explain ....Maffy I’m on a diet and doing workouts all this free food at hospital was taking its toll

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Donna,
I was avoiding new 2 litre engine so its 2,2. I guess others are referring to 2:2.

I found this and couldn't find anything useful in there:

Good write up. Donna, says 2.2 are your specs in the same drawer as your spell checker 😜

Spacers
(y)

·
Registered
602 Posts
  • From late 2014, cars had TPMS. Build sheet has TPMS on it, however, I cannot locate the menu where I can see the temperature and air pressure in the tyres (used to BMW where you go to NBT and you can check these things).
It should be in the menu on the main screen with the speedo etc.
Press the button on the end of the lighting stalk to access it.
Tyre pressures should be under vehicle info or similar.
On older models some info wouldn't come up with the engine running including tyre pressures.
So just turn on the ignition only by pressing the start button with your foot off the brake and you should get the additional info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On older models some info wouldn't come up with the engine running including tyre pressures.
So just turn on the ignition only by pressing the start button with your foot off the brake and you should get the additional info.
Thanks Phil. Worked like a charm. There was no temperature shown (of the air inside the tyre), so I take it that it shows just the pressure. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Yes just the actual pressure NOT temperatures. useful thing to have.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Wanted to say massive thanks to all of you who contribute regularly on this forum. You have massively helped me to choose the right car. After nearly 4-5 months, we pulled the trigger.

Background:

I might have mentioned that we both have been BMW fans for nearly 10-15 years and converted most of our family members and friend to buy BMWs. I guess Mrs got bored with her X3 and mentioned that she wanted to try Evoque.

So, I checked this forum and some other forums, and they were full of car-related troubles and most had ‘satisfying’ experience when dealing with the dealers. There was one thing common and every person said, ‘Despite these issues, I still love my Evoque.’

That is a bold statement and to fall in love with a car and keep it despite some issues means that car has something special to offer.

One of the legends from this forum pm’d me all the issues with modern Ingenium engines (for some reason my brain always read it magnum aka ice cream). I shared it with the Mrs and we thought to forget about this car.

However, every time I saw a well looked Evoque Dynamic with black pack on the road, I thought ‘Her personality will suit this car and vice versa’.

So, my criteria were 2014-2015 MY with the old 2.2 engine and try to get one with dealer warranty. Minimum Dynamic Lux and ideally with backpack. Without telling her, I kept hunting and kept listing x3 for sale.

We found a decent car (with dealer transferable warranty), however, I was extra paranoid. Minor jerk when putting into reverse was the issue and on the second visit, it was barely minimum (without any clunk). So, we pulled the trigger and bought the car.

Future Plans:

I like to enhance the looks of my cars and nothing OTT. This is something which you learn over the years. As it is Mrs car, so will have to stick with minimum stuff. The list which I made:

• Adding Sidestep (black stealth edition)
  • Internal LED lights including footwell, boot and vanity mirrors lights
  • Reverse LED lights
  • Rear lights smoked and matched to front black edition lights
  • Sealing the rear camera / Studying design issues and rectify it
  • Carbon Fibre (?probably fake) key cover
  • Razman’s boot led modification (will see how bright is boot LED bulb and if no good, will go with this).
  • Deleting SD4 lettering at the back. Tractor noise is enough to warn others that it’s a diesel.
  • Bonnet Grill

• Reverse mirror tilt is excessive compared to other cars and makes it unsafe imho. Is there a way to adjust it via coding or something?
  • Rear tyres are sitting in deeply. Has anyone added spacers at the back to give it a mean look and if yes, can you kindly share your side? I don’t want racer boy look but a bit more aggressive stance.
  • Maps update- Nav is outdated especially when compared to Waze2- / BMW nav, so there is a big question mark? Is it worth updating the maps? I have looked for memory card and could not locate it. Does that mean, I have a nav which uses disc?
I guess this is enough for now and will start my build thread to cover these things.
Hi makkann00,

The mirrors are fully adjustable when in reverse & drive & should stay where set after adjusting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes just the actual pressure NOT temperatures. useful thing to have.
Indeed.

Hi makkann00,

The mirrors are fully adjustable when in reverse & drive & should stay where set after adjusting.
Aaah, that's interesting. So you are suggesting that we can adjust the amount of tilt/dip when the car goes into reverse gear. I guess you have to adjust the mirrors while they are dipped?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
SElect reverse and then adjust the passenger mirror to suit, then place in neutral, your mirror should return to it's usual position, slip into reverese again and the mirror should dip accordingly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SElect reverse and then adjust the passenger mirror to suit, then place in neutral, your mirror should return to it's usual position, slip into reverese again and the mirror should dip accordingly.
Thanks Maffy. Make sense now. The previous owner had done it to both sides 🤣 and I turned it off. Will give it a go tomorrow. (y)

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Maybe you can do both sides, only ever did my passenger one to be honest-good luck.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,879 Posts
Great intro Makkan00 and welcome to the EOC.

The dipping mirrors are super when suitably set, they make protecting your alloys from kerbs a breeze. When you hit a certain speed in reverse they raise so you can see where you are going.
Excellent feature, wouldn’t be without it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Maybe you can do both sides, only ever did my passenger one to be honest-good luck.
Hi Maffy,

Both sides no problem.(y):)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Didn’t realise you could do that 🤔 Thought they were set at a certain angle when reversing and that was that. I’d switched mine off as I couldn’t see a thing when reversing unless I got into the footwell! I’ll give it a try when I pick it up today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great intro Makkan00 and welcome to the EOC.

The dipping mirrors are super when suitably set, they make protecting your alloys from kerbs a breeze. When you hit a certain speed in reverse they raise so you can see where you are going.
Excellent feature, wouldn’t be without it.
Agreed Dave. I am coming from beamers and had it on my 2005 BMW. The difference is that on beamers, you can only set it on the passenger side and if you want to tweak it, it requires coding.

JLR Evoque dip was excessive and I had to turn it off via odometer settings. I have learnt it here that you adjust it on the reverse and its saves in canbus memory.

Tweaked the dip on the passenger side today and cancelled for the driver side. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn’t realise you could do that 🤔 Thought they were set at a certain angle when reversing and that was that. I’d switched mine off as I couldn’t see a thing when reversing unless I got into the footwell! I’ll give it a try when I pick it up today.
That is what happened to me. Glad that I asked and it has been set at a reasonable angle now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts