Evoque Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
20 miles showing on day of collection and the 13 mile journey home returned 19.0 mpg

three weeks later with 1770 miles on the odo and a (spirited) 146 mile trip to edinburgh resulted in a much more eco friendly 39.9 mpg despite my best efforts to wake the wife up on the wiggley bits of the 68

bedding in nicely...

·
Registered
580 Posts
9weeks 1400 miles, mine is showing 38.9mpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
After reading these low consumption figures, I can't help but think there must be something wrong with my car. After more than 10 000km, I rarely average anything better than 10.5L/100km (27MPG). I have to say, it is mainly city and town driving. My best ever consumption was when doing a 700km trip to the coast, fully laden, where I got an average of 6.5L/100km (43MPG).

The consumption on my Evoque is not much lower than my Discovery 3 used to be under the exact same driving conditions.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Big Ray, for starters, this thread is for TD4 manual and I see you have SD4 (I'm assuming auto).
Regardless, yes, your 10.5L / 100 km does seem excessively high. Could it be 'bad' diesel (do you always fill up at the same pertrol station)? I drive my TD4 auto around town mainly (<10% freeway driving), and I average 8.7L / 100 km at an average speed of 38 km/h.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for clarifying EDU, and pardon my ignorance. I realise that my SD4 auto will be heavier on the juice, but I'm wondering if it should be almost 2L/100km. My driving conditions are very similar to yours, so I will have a look at my average speed to be able to better compare with your figures and those posted by others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my TD4 since June, and have about 3.5K on the clock. It's recently been back to the dealer (twice) as I'm extremely unhappy about the fuel economy - round town I can get between 30-50 (yes, 50 mpg on some trips!!!), however as soon as I take it on the motorway, I really struggle to get over 40 mpg. A recent 250 mile round trip, mostly on the motorway at a steady 70 gave me 40.1 on the trip. It averages around the late thirties.

This leaves the car in a situation where I'm getting better economy round town than I do on the motorway! Something not quite right you might think.
The dealer however continues to say that this is 'normal' and 'expected' for the car - guess they haven't checked their sales literature then! They're now taking it up with LR directly for their responce.
Good to see that I'm not alone with this, but I think that LR need to address this head-on.

Other than that though, the car is an absolute dream!! :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
prw said:
I've had my TD4 since June, and have about 3.5K on the clock. It's recently been back to the dealer (twice) as I'm extremely unhappy about the fuel economy - round town I can get between 30-50 (yes, 50 mpg on some trips!!!), however as soon as I take it on the motorway, I really struggle to get over 40 mpg. A recent 250 mile round trip, mostly on the motorway at a steady 70 gave me 40.1 on the trip. It averages around the late thirties.

This leaves the car in a situation where I'm getting better economy round town than I do on the motorway! Something not quite right you might think.
The dealer however continues to say that this is 'normal' and 'expected' for the car - guess they haven't checked their sales literature then! They're now taking it up with LR directly for their responce.
Good to see that I'm not alone with this, but I think that LR need to address this head-on.

Other than that though, the car is an absolute dream!! :)
If i had you figures i would be well happy.i personally think your dealer is correct never go by figures in the sales literature.all the new cars i have ever had.have never matched figures quoted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi AllI have had mine for 3 weeks and done 1200 miles, i do about 15 miles to work (mainly dual carriageway) and get no more than 28mpg
i travelled from cheshire to london last week approx 360mile round trip and averaged 35mpg, this was using cruise control at 70mph pretty much all the time on motorways.

I am dissapointed with the fuel consumption but love the car.
I have a colleague who has the same model evoque but gets more mpg than myself, any suggestions?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ask your colleague to drive it for you

I doubt that any car will be very economical on a 15 mile trip, my commute is around 35 miles and it is probably not until I am around 15 miles in that it cracks 30 (mine is an SD4). The engine is still very new and you are still getting used to the car so I am sure that it will improve a bit over time.

You might want to experiment a bit with different speeds too, my MPG drops off a cliff at 70+ but it is great at "A" road speeds.

Finally, try not to let this become the focus of your ownership, it is pretty well understood that the Evoque is not an economical car but it has a lot of other talents that combine to make it a brilliant drive, enjoy it for what it is rather than worrying too much about what it isn't

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
There are so many variables when it comes to fuel consumption, but the only one that is really easy to measure and make comparisons against is your average speed for that tank of fuel. All the other variables that impact consumption (driving style, number of stop/starts (red lights), acceleration, etc) are far too difficult to quantify. And, as you know, the average speed is automatically calculated for you, so very easy to draw comparisons.

Stop drawing comparisons between your consumption and others without comparing average speed - the faster your average speed, the better your consumption (unless of course you average 150km/h).

After five months of ownership and around 7000km, here is my consumption and average speed (per fuel up):

As you can see, I only achieve consumption in the low 8L / 100km range when I exceed 40km/h. (MPG column added for my UK friends).

90% of my driving would be considered urban, and the consumption claim for urban TD4 auto is 7.9L/100km, so really, I'm within 5-10% of that, so I'm happy.

Ok, so I'm a bit of a spreadsheet nerd.
I need to keep a record of my car expenditure (for the tax man), as the Evoque is my work car.
Edited by: Evoque Down Under

·
Registered
750 Posts
EDU ...... really ....you are the last person I would have expected to post an MPG table

Ihave always thought that average speed is meaningless. You could achieve an average of 40 by travelling at 40 or by being stuck in traffic for an hour and then travelling at 80 for the following hour.I guess though from looking at your data that over a similar route in similar conditions, it starts to become a more accurate indicator, especially over 700k of driving.

Interestingly, I find the complete opposite to you, the higher my average speed the lower my MPG but I think that this is because my usual route consists mostly of Motorway driving unlike yours.

If I am right, I think the Evoque Diesel has a 60Ltank? If so 59 was running it pretty close, good effort! My Q7 used to have a 100L tank and on two occasions I managed to squeeze 102L in there.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you Steve!

You are completely right that on a freeway, the higher your speed, the worse your consumption is, but for us city folk, it's quite the opposite (as you stated).

SD4 and TD4 have a 'useable fuel tank capacity' of 58L, Si4 has 70L and eD4 has 55L. I have found the distance to empty reading to be pretty spot on. I often go to within 10 - 20km until empty. I don't have the balls to let it get to zero!
Edited by: Evoque Down Under

·
Registered
750 Posts
Au Contraire EDU, I was pleased to see it, makes me feel better about all of my Spreadsheets and Pivot Tables!

I guess it is not advisable to run out of Diesel so good to know that therange is broadly accurate and I suppose the closer to empty that you get ... the more accurate it must become.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my first tank (car is only 2 weeks old) - mainly town driving / stop / startreturned29.5 MPG. This was calculated the scientific way. Actual fuel used and miles covered - not the computer reading. TD4 Pure. Not bad considering first tank and delivery miles of 20 on the clock when new. I expect this to improve with maturity

·
Registered
810 Posts
as my engine loosens up (6k+) i'm actually getting less to the gallon as i'm starting to enjoy driving more. with five up and a boot full of rugby kit it still drove like a hot hatch, the obvious down side being 32mpg

·
Registered
810 Posts
back from a week in mull and the steady(ish) 70mph, 270 mainly motorway mile journey returned 40.6mpgmileage now 7500

·
Registered
580 Posts
3000 Miles in mine now and averaging 36.6 mainly town driving.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
55 MPG - Drive like a Girl.com get in!

I filled up the other morning, reset my trip, then drove to Reading mainly motorways, with a bit of cross country taking it EASY over about 60 miles.

I dropped the 0.2 trying to get on my site mucking about parking etc. When I got home after another EASY run, bit of traffic, I was still on 52.5 mpg after about 140 miles.

So it is possible, just not very likely to achieve it regularly!

Yes it was on the trip in the dash which is a bit optimistic compared to calculating it properly.

The fuel bar has not even moved - so I could probably drive 1000 on this tank!!!Edited by: CoolBlueWhyte

61 - 80 of 100 Posts