Evoque Owners Club banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I used to work in a JLR body shop a franchise dealer unfortunately we were closed down last year and made redundant but back on topic the evoque and disco sports were a constant warranty claim for misalignment we did hundreds of them over the years some worse than others . I once got the opportunity to ask one of the engineers about this problem although it wasn't his department he said its the closures department and then went on to explain the problem. Over the build of the body there is a tolerance all theses little bits are put to the back of the vehicle hence the tailgate alignment is out . My question to him was well Audi BMW seem to be able to get this right why can't you. Still think there's a bit of british Leyland in JLR in the sense of that will do

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Hi rsdavid, thanks for your most interesting post. Almost entirely as I'd imagined. My 3 month nightmare is not over. I'm at the cusp of rejecting the vehicle under CRA 2015...not of satisfactory quality.
LRJ HQ sent a diagram showing a rear view of the car and allowable tolerances. Unfortunately, after slavishly describing the issue with photos, I needed an ariel view. The bottom of the tailgate is pulled in 3mm beyond the rear panels. I think the resolution executive and some technicians up there have a problem with detail.
The tolerances in my opinion are farcical and a convenient sanctuary where they
can be extremely evasive, some may say 'stonewalling'.
HQ also said " if the tailgate was adjusted in accordance with TOPIx, nothing more they can do". Another lesson in subfuscation.
Sorry to hear about your job, difficult times. May I wish you the best of luck to find suitable employment.
Totally agree your quip about BL. I remember 'Red Robbo' very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Flyfisher tanks for your kind comments on the job front . Looking at yours it doesn't look to bad and should be easily sorted buy a competent body shop preferably a JLR one it only looks like a simple in/out adjustment and not a hight one ( hight ones are more complex) may be the striker is to far in and just needs relaxing slightly one question is it powered

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Apologies rsdavid, I actually replied moments after your last post. I'm hopeless with IT.
Yes, the tailgate is powered. Previous adjustments were infact carried out by a LRJ franchised dealership.
Body shop manager said this was the best 'compromised' fit achievable. I can only trust they have done their best.
Writing to dealership principal tomorrow in one last attempt to find an amicable resolution.
Meanwhile, any further advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right having a good detailed look at you tailgate the upper part the bit above the RANGE ROVER lettering looks bang on the lower part looks out sitting slightly higher to the adjacent panels and in if you look close the swage line is out. Now trying to adjust the bottom bit out is going to bring the top out with it all that will achieve is it looking even worse so I can under stand there statement. Don't get me wrong iam not siding with them but can understand your point as well as there's. If I had to adjust that tail gate I my well come to the same conclusion.
From a factory point of view I can see what the have tried to do the previous module had the lettering on the coloured part of the tailgate the upper part that was the part that always looked out because that's the part at eye level. Either sitting to low or to high and so was the bit the customer always complained about so buy getting the upper bit to fit they have aliveiated some of the problem .
The solution is totally up to you but before you tackle them again go and have a look at as many of the same model of yours as possible you may be surprised some may be worse or better yours could be one of the better one's take photos so you can arm your self with others if there better you may think after seeing more that yours is acceptable this was the case with the previous model
Sorry for the long post hope this helps where are you situated out of intrest
Ps rejecting the car and ordering another one is up to you but the replacement could be worse or have other faults this used to happen quite

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,237 Posts
Hi @rsdavid & @Flyfisher - FWIW
It's useful for readers to easily see what vehicle people have when reading posts rather than have to page around looking for a mention :)

Just stick year and spec in your forum profile then it's always available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited by Moderator)
Apologies rsdavid, I actually replied moments after your last post. I'm hopeless with IT.
Yes, the tailgate is powered. Previous adjustments were infact carried out by a LRJ franchised dealership.
Body shop manager said this was the best 'compromised' fit achievable. I can only trust they have done their best.
Writing to dealership principal tomorrow in one last attempt to find an amicable resolution.
Meanwhile, any further advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Right having a good detailed look at you tailgate the upper part the bit above the RANGE ROVER lettering looks bang on the lower part looks out sitting slightly higher to the adjacent panels and in if you look close the swage line is out. Now trying to adjust the bottom bit out is going to bring the top out with it all that will achieve is it looking even worse so I can under stand there statement. Don't get me wrong iam not siding with them but can understand your point as well as there's. If I had to adjust that tail gate I my well come to the same conclusion.
From a factory point of view I can see what the have tried to do the previous module had the lettering on the coloured part of the tailgate the upper part that was the part that always looked out because that's the part at eye level. Either sitting to low or to high and so was the bit the customer always complained about so buy getting the upper bit to fit they have aliveiated some of the problem .
The solution is totally up to you but before you tackle them again go and have a look at as many of the same model of yours as possible you may be surprised some may be worse or better yours could be one of the better one's take photos so you can arm your self with others if there better you may think after seeing more that yours is acceptable this was the case with the previous model
Sorry for the long post hope this helps where are you situated out of intrest
Ps rejecting the car and ordering another one is up to you but the replacement could be worse or have other faults this used to happen quite
Hi rsdavid, no need to apologise for long post. Good constructive information and advice from someone who has first hand knowledge . A breath of fresh air !
My location is Headcorn, Kent. Chippy trained, retired as a qualified building surveyor. I have an eye for detail, been a rod I've had to bear.
Understand and agree with your explanation and advice. I have photos of an identical car to mine on dealership forecourt. The tailgate was perfect in every aesthetic and and technical respect.
Will soon learn if dealership will resolve the matter.
Diverting, if I'd hung a new period hardwood door using the tolerances of LRJ, I'd never have seen another job.!! Thinking aloud again.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts