Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, my tailgate seems very noisy - quite a loud whirring noise when going up or down, presumably from the motorized struts. Is there something I can check of lubricate in some way? Also, (and I am not sure if this is connected) I often get a dash error message after closing it - 'tailgate open' with the warning triangle. Upon checking the tailgate everything looks fine so not sure if a sensor is being too enthusiastic and needs adjusting.
Any ideas guys?

·
Super Moderator
10,803 Posts
Can't help with the warning light but as far as I'm aware the electric tailgates all make a noise. Mine certainly did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks XZ4 - I wondered if that was the case. My Cayenne was nearly silent as was a Merc GLE that I had a test drive in, but both have enclosed motors so obviously much quieter - buggers to repair though :p

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Lots of people have problems with tailgate alignment (use the forum search function) so I'm guessing seeing that warning and the noise (mines pretty silent) something isn't right.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine too is fairly silent... I had an Audi prior to this which was much louder.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hi RazMan,
Mine is not particularly quiet, I thought they were all like that.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine is quiet, I think, but it’s the first motorised tailgate I’ve had, so nothing to judge it against.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Define Loud!

Mine makes a noise, Clunk Whiiiirrrrrroooo. Would not call it loud... but you can hear from the drivers seat.

But the warning triangle is more of a concern. Maybe a sensor on the latch or the latch needs adjusting, unless one of the struts is faulty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies guys (y)
It sounds like the struts are just a bit ...... well, noisy. I am not too worried but I will have to investigate the warning triangle message
The tailgate doesn't appear to be misaligned and closes nicely - is the sensor built into the latch mech?
Oh and I might be interested in one of your modules Phil - any links please? ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Hi Razman, the latch comes as a unit, I'm not actually sure how it detects it's closed, maybe from the struts and the latch, e.g. struts in closed position and latch operated.

Unfortunately haven't made any closer modules for a long time now, and never updated the design for the 2016 on tailgate

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem Phil - I have found a similar module on eBay which should do the trick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mystery solved - It turns out that my battery is on its way out so the only way that I can close the tailgate properly (without the dash alert) is to keep the engine running, therefore charging the battery. As soon as I stop the engine I get the dreaded 'battery low, start engine' message

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the battery changed by the dealer under warranty - tailgate raises quicker and locks properly now (y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts