Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been monitoring my journeys lately using 4x4i and have noticed that the car is almost always running in 4WD even when not required such as normal town roads and in traffic, leading to poor fuel consumption. Is there anyway to manually set the car 2WD when required or is this only done automatically by the car? My car is MY20 D180 R-Dynamic SE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only got mine on Saturday but was switching between 2 and 4 always in 4 when setting off from standing but then back to 2 once roiling
Do you think the driving mode may affect this, eco and dynamic I mean?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I can only go by my 2012 model and it was always an automatic change outwith the drivers control depending on road conditions and/or if you drove into a muddy field which in my job I did a lot of towing a trailer in fields, and you could tell easily when it shifted, only when it was needed 4WD was used. So there was a mix of 2WD and 4WD. It sounds like you do have a problem there with the active driveline.

"Active Driveline can intelligently switch between two- and four-wheel drive as conditions demand, combining both the fuel-saving benefits of two-wheel-drive with the all-terrain capability of four-wheel drive. Four-wheel-drive is continuously engaged to provide large reserves of traction from a standstill, but a clutch completely disconnects the four-wheel-drive hardware when there is no tractive requirement. Should the system detect wheel slip or a more dynamic driving style, four-wheel drive is re-engaged within 350 milliseconds. Two electronically controlled clutches located either side of the rear differential distribute torque to the wheel with most grip. This improves the on-road agility while the rear axle can be entirely "locked" for maximum traction in very slippery conditions. Active Driveline's transition from two- to four-wheel drive is seamless, but drivers can monitor its operation via a dedicated 4x4i screen on the touchscreen display".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whether I drive it in eco mode or comfort mode, it still always seems to drive in 4WD mode especially at lower speeds. As I do a lot of town driving, I’m always driving at lower speeds so for me its mostly in 4WD mode which is really affecting the fuel economy. That’s not to say it doesn’t switch to 2WD mode, but it just doesn’t happen that often for me unless I start cruising at 30mph+, and even then its not a given.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think mine is the same at low speed but as soon as the speed increase it falls out of 4 and only goes back in now and again, I’ll have a closer look next time I go out

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a look at this a while back.
If the car is in Dynamic mode it will stay in AWD.
ECO and "normal" or comfort mode will get it switching to FWD once speeds are consistent.
Driving around town it seems the car keeps it in AWD for traction off the line etc etc.
I see the OP had concerns about mpg in another topic and was told to wait until the car has some miles under it's belt which I found to be true as well and is pretty much accepted as being the usual case.
I don't think you can blame this system for being responsible for significant differences in mpg.
There are so many variables trying to check mpg on the roads that it's pretty hard to be very accurate.
I can say from my experience trying dynamic and then normal modes on similar routes that there is very little difference in mpg for me so I don't think the driveline disconnect makes that much of a difference.
Give the car a couple of thousand miles to get it's act together and then a more accurate picture of mpg figures will be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've found very much the same mix of 2WD/4WD as you have observed. I too thought it was strange and that it didn't align with LR's description of how the system is supposed to work.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Makes me wonder now if the automatic control of active drivetrain deciding on 4WD or 2WD is a bit different between an auto box with a number of driving modes available, and my simple manual box. (I have not had an automatic box for decades).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am pretty sure that when decelerating it goes in to 4wd to spread the braking force of the engine / electric motor across all 4 wheels to aid stability and grip especially in low grip conditions eg icy roads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts