Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As this is so much cheaper than conventional garage forecourts is it any way inferior?
(I have been told that many of the different petrol makes all come from the same place).

Registered
It is inferior in that it does not have the same additives ......whether those additives are worth it is another question

Those that say its from the same place are correct in that it came out the ground 馃槃 ......I used to work for BP and did a fair few project on logistics, oil and petrol and yes they may supply various brands but they are different products............I use branded in performance cars but for the Evoque I use a mixture / have no real preference, default is costco

Registered
The FL2 forum at one time had a huge thread about using 2 stroke as a diesel additive.

Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
As said it is the detergents and additives that are different. As we run diesels with complex emissions systems I always use premium diesel from one of the big suppliers and have run some cars to high (150k plus) mileage with no emission system problems whilst friend on cheap fuel have had blocked EGR鈥檚 and DPF鈥檚 at 80k to 90k miles. Not a large enough sample to prove anything, it could just be luck.
I also seem to get about 10% better economy on premium fuel and it costs about 10% more so I tend to think of it as pretty cost neutral.
I do avoid the rip offs that want 20p per litre more for premium.

Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
I've just been scribbling down some figures and was quite shocked by what I realised,
Current local price for Super Advanced Diesel is 139.9p per litre, this means for an example tank of 60L it would cost you 拢83.94,
basic diesel is currently 113.9p per Litre which is 拢68.34 for60L, so, super is at least 拢15.60 more expensive per tank, but, if you purchase the AR6900 D Max at 拢79.96 for 5 Litres (delivered) and based on 60ml per tank added per 60L of diesel it would cost you 96p to treat a 60L tank of diesel compared to the 拢15.60 extra cost of buying Super advanced diesel.

Needless to say,I've just ordered the additive!
9 months on, still using it and have never had a DPF problem, car is just coming up to 2 years old and car is now due its first service, must be good stuff.

Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
Shell V Power FTW 馃憣馃徏馃挭馃徏鉁岎煆

Registered
Endless discussions about this over the years. Adding two-stroke oil is generally agreed to be a good thing with traditional diesels. However I have read that there could be problems with excessive ash going into the dpf. As I recall the advice was to use only semi-synthetic (not oil-based and not fully synthetic). There was a very long thread on this on the FL2 forum. Again going back in time, when dpfs were first fitted I was told by a LR Experience instructor that using premium diesel avoided dpf problems. There seem to be lots of opinions here - I won't use two-stroke oil in my MY19 Evoque for the same reason I won't use bio diesel - these were great in the old diesels but I think the latest ones are so sensitive it's not worth the risk. I would prefer to use premium fuel nowadays, but as someone stated above, the price difference between my local BP garages and Tesco/Sainsburys is ridiculous, even though the premium fuels do give better mpg. I'm inclining to the idea that under current circumstances, doing less than a third of my normal mileage, it might be best to switch to the premium - it can't hurt and may well protect the motor and the dpf. That said, I normally use Tesco and I've only ever had one dpf problem, and that was down to a faulty dpf.

Registered
2020 R Dynamic SE, Eiger grey, Black pack, Panoramic roof
Does this additive really work? Do you see any improvements to mileage or power?

Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
Does this additive really work? Do you see any improvements to mileage or power?
I used to use only premium diesel at first and since switching to the AR6900 D Max additive and supermarket diesel I've not noticed any less mileage or power, so it appears to me to be as good as the premium diesels on sale.
Car has been faultless so far.

Registered
Ordered some AR6900 last night so will give it a try.

Registered
Additives (including the additives in premium diesel) generally improve the cetane number, which in turn gives more efficient operation. Claims for "cleaning" the engine or pdf are more difficult to substantiate, but I suppose that a more efficient burn will make an improvement there as well. See What is +Cetane Boost? - Power Service

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone for their informative replies.
So - as a complete layman regarding engines - doing mainly motorway driving at 70mph (honest guv) - is it worth me buying the "super" diesel or standard?

Registered
2018 HSE DYN LUX 290A Black Pack
Unless you own a supercar - go for the cheapest out there, especially with diesel as the engine is probably a tractor engine anyway!! Can you imagine the furore if places like costco or wherever were constantly receiving complaints about their petrol/diesel. Doesn't happen does it? Just get on with it if you are worried about saving a couple of hundred a year....go cheapest!

Registered
Thanks for everyone for their informative replies.
So - as a complete layman regarding engines - doing mainly motorway driving at 70mph (honest guv) - is it worth me buying the "super" diesel or standard?
With that type of driving where you should never have any DPF / fuel dilution problems anyway and MPG is better anyway I would just put the normal stuff in as you won鈥檛 get any of the either the defined or supposed benefits of the premium stuff ;-)

Registered
I've been using supermarket fuel for the past 4 years (first 2 on a 2.2d Evoque - so probably less of an issue anyway), current Evoque is the later Ingenium 2.0 and not had any DPF warnings. I've more recently been using the AR6900 D Max additive as mentioned on this forum, it's much cheaper than using premium diesel, whether it does any good is hard to say as I didn't have any previous issues.
I suspect any DPF problems are much more related to driving style, mostly country roads here so I don't do much fast driving but don't get stuck in traffic either.

Registered
I have owned my 2012 sd4 dynamic for 5 months now. I used to go for the cheapest diesel, asda. Full tank would give me around 330 miles.

I made a note of current miles & my miles when I went to fill up again. I did this 5 times & average was as above, 330 miles.

I then started filling up at BP, nornal diesel not that 1.39p stuff.

Did the same thing again, made a note of miles & when i went to full up again had a look look my miles & deducted those miles off from what I originally had to see how many I've done.

On average out of 5 tests I was able to do on average 385 miles. This seemed to good to be true but the stats don't lie & in my case even though more expensive bp fuel is giving me personally much more miles for the same L of fuel.

Try for yourself & see how you get on.

Yes the trips were the same, I wasn't going around a race course on asda fuel for the testing 馃槂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts