Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Pure Tech 2.2 SD4 Fuji White & Black Pack
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a strange reoccurring fault that only seems to appear if I drive up a steep hill. The restricted performance warning triangle appears on the dash and the revs are limited to 2000 rpm.
It’s started last Thursday when the car was parked for a couple of hours on a very steep hill, front end down.
The fault cleared once the car was stopped for 1/2 an hour or so. We took it to our local garage on the advice of the company who we bought the car from as they aren’t local to us. We took out a one year warranty that on paper looks to cover most things. Diagnostics didn’t reveal a current fault, but there were a few historical faults, so they were cleared. This was done so that if the fault came back, they would be able to pinpoint it. Had the car out yesterday and today and the fault came back twice, about 500 yards up the steep hill near where we live. So its going back in tomorrow.
Fuel tank is about 1/4 full, showing 115 miles range.
Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update.
Filled the tank while the error was clear.
Headed up the hill again, fault came on again, this time restricted performance and amber engine management warning symbol too.
Thought it might be a fuel pick up problem, but looks unlikely now.
Fault codes brought up when it was in the garage on Friday were as follows, historical, not current.
P006A manifold absolute pressure
P0409 exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit.
P0833 clutch pedal switch B circuit.
Going back into the garage tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013 Evoque 2.2 SD4 Pure Tech in Mauritius Blue with White roof and Black Leather interior.
12 Posts
I had this once on a Toyota avensis diesel and it turned out to be the fuel filter that was blocked up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I hope it’s not the fuel filter, the garage said they did a full service on it before I bought it, which was only 5 weeks ago.
Thanks for the heads up though, hopefully they will get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2013 Evoque 2.2 SD4 Pure Tech in Mauritius Blue with White roof and Black Leather interior.
12 Posts
They may have serviced it but not done the fuel filter. On the Evoque I have got which I bought a couple of months ago which has full service history the air filter box had 2 screws that the heads were rusted and it took me about 30 minutes to remove them after a lot of faffing about and when I finally took the air filter out it had an August 2016 date written on the filter edge in black marker so obviously the garage doing the services had not been changing the air filter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn’t give you much faith in second hand car dealers does it.

·
Registered
R-Dynamic SE P300e Firenze Red/Pan Roof/Black Pack
286 Posts
Doesn’t give you much faith in second hand car dealers does it.
I never really trust any dealership when the say the have carried out any service be it pre delivery of a new car or routine. When I say this I have good reason .....the last dealership who demonstrated this lack of care was a Mercedes garage ,so this isn't restricted to Land Rover.

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
224 Posts
If you have access to Topix, it should show you all the service history done by LR and when the fuel filter was last done.
I can't imagine many independent garages doing this in the service - too much of a faff for them.

Rob.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers, Rob, I checked, it was serviced by Land Rover up until 2020, that was a 112000 mile service that didn’t include the fuel filter, it was las changed in 2019.
So it would of been due one this time round 128000.
If the filter that is on is a genuine one, then I’m guessing it wasn’t changed by the garage as I can’t see them using genuine parts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just been on to Topix - looks like you can't access sod all unless you pay now!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did mine myself, wasn't too bad a job - just bleeding it takes time. Definitely ran better after.
I put a post on the forum somewhere about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked on the land rover service checker.
I plan on servicing mine myself too, I think it pointless paying extortionate prices to preserve the dealer service on an 8 year old car.
Plus, I know what will have been done.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 11 mo ago

The other day my car stalled while about to pull out from a junction (automatic) and recently has seemed hesitant and not so responsive to the accelerator. Decided to change the fuel filter - don't know if /when this has ever been done - now amazingly the car runs like a dream - never thought a filter would make that much difference.
Plenty of videos on Youtube of how to do it (very easy), but bleeding is another story. I don't have any special equipment for bleeding these, nor did I want to spend on something only being used a couple of times. Here's a video - not mine - of the procedure I used and that worked. Freelander 2 & Evoque are the same.

The diesel does take some time to come through - lots of sucking - but if you look to the right of the filter you will see the air coming through the clear original fuel lines. After all the air was sucked out the car started immediately - success.
One thing to note, my filter had a drain tube and electrical connector underneath which isn't shown on all the videos I've watched. My new filter has the docking for the connector but no pins inside, so was a little worried that I'd end up with a warning light coming on. When I removed the old filter though, it was exactly the same - blank - no idea what that's all about!

Rob.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
167 Posts
One thing to note, my filter had a drain tube and electrical connector underneath which isn't shown on all the videos I've watched. My new filter has the docking for the connector but no pins inside, so was a little worried that I'd end up with a warning light coming on. When I removed the old filter though, it was exactly the same - blank - no idea what that's all about!
Rob.
My guess is that connector can detect water in the fuel if it was fitted with a compatible filter. Maybe JLR are using some common harness or have this built in for newer generation, just it is not used in this model yet? Wonder what it looks like for the Discovery or Velar?

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
39 Posts
I never really trust any dealership when the say the have carried out any service be it pre delivery of a new car or routine. When I say this I have good reason .....the last dealership who demonstrated this lack of care was a Mercedes garage ,so this isn't restricted to Land Rover.
Spot on never trust any dealer!

a large dealership in the northwest, which I shan’t name in full but begins with fords and ends in winsford sold my best mate a golf r that had been smashed about in a police chase we reckon, the brake lines at the rear were literally taped back together and there was problems with the fuel system too that involved some duct tape!

I guess the racpre buying checks are worth the weight in gold!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the car went back to the garage where we bought it from last night.
They said the Evoque is very battery dependent, so they are doing a soft reset, ie, , clear faults, disconnect battery and trickle charge overnight. I asked if they changed the fuel filter when they serviced it and they admitted they didn’t, only oil and air filter. So they are fitting a nee fuel filter too.
Let’s see what happens.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Let's hope that cures it - only trouble is, you probably won't know if it's the battery or the filter.
When I first got mine I kept having different errors coming up, I ended up changing both batteries - main & tiny auto gearbox one - have never had an issue since. The original ones were 7 years old, so probably ready.
Rob.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update.
The part was supposed to be in today and fitted. Got a call from the garage to say JLR now say it will be the end of the week before it comes in. I’m beginning to doubt the garage now, I rang two dealers in my area and neither have a part on order for my car, so I’m not impressed. I have a feeling they have mail ordered a part and it hasn’t arrived.
The wife isn’t at all pleased, they have lent us a car for now to try and appease us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts