Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people don't really like the stop/start function, but I can't even try mine! ECO Stop/Start button pressed, text shows up on dashboard stating on or off. In theory all should be good, but it doesn't stop or start at any junction, no matter how far I drive it. I have charged the stop/start battery with a stop/start smart charger and also the main battery but no luck.
Any ideas?
Fosty148

·
Registered
662 Posts
Usually down to a low battery.:sad: If you have a warranty well worth getting checked, just had mine replaced & provided I do enough miles to keep battery well up it works (unless you have the AIR Con on, in which case it WILL NOT work)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
There are quite a lot of criteria and conditions for start stop to work. There is a list somewhere in this forum and i think it is mentioned in the handbook if I remember.

If you have the autobox (in a secondhand car) someone may have disconnected the 'start stop solinoids supply' small battery hidden behind the main car battery. This permanently stops start stop from working. But as said, Only in auto box cars as manual box cars do not have the small battery.

Anyway, lucky you with start stop not working, as many an owner hates start stop, me included, and better off without it, he he :devil:

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I like the stop/start function. Mine will work with the air on on, though it will drain the battery quicker

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As @colin4x4 says it's possible if the auxiliary battery has been disconnected this could be the cause. But sounds unlikely as you have also charged this one and most people would have disconnected this at the terminals if they were doing this.

I can only guess that the RRE doesn't think the 'heath' of the auxiliary battery is good enough even though you've charged it separately. So only a new battery will fix things.

I've noticed my MY15 vehicle seems to have given up on stop/start recently. I always turn it off so it's not a problem for me.

PS - It's worth updating your forum signature with your vehicle spec/year to help people answer queries :)
https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

If you are not getting any stop/start faults then it is probably the battery.

Mine wasn’t working consistently over the summer with short trips and a/c full on. Fully charged the battery and it’s working just like it should.

:)

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Usually down to a low battery.:sad: If you have a warranty well worth getting checked, just had mine replaced & provided I do enough miles to keep battery well up it works (unless you have the AIR Con on, in which case it WILL NOT work)
I never switch the air con off and mine worked. My F Type stop start works with air con on too.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My stop start works fine also and the AC is always on.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Not sure if this applies in the Evoque as mine didn't have it but in my F Type using Dynamic mode switches off the stop/start.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not sure if this applies in the Evoque as mine didn't have it but in my F Type using Dynamic mode switches off the stop/start.
It's different from the Jag system which affects the steering, throttle, gearshift and suspension if you have adaptive dampers.
On the Evoque dynamic just tightens the suspension if it has adaptive dampers specced.
Just a repro from the manual (2018) when stop start may not work:
Screenshot_2019-09-29 Land Rover Owner Information.png

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
On the 2014 Dynamic Lux we had a few years ago using Dynamic definitely firmed up the steering and sharpened the throttle response Phil. They may have diluted this on later models though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
On the 2014 Dynamic Lux we had a few years ago using Dynamic definitely firmed up the steering and sharpened the throttle response Phil. They may have diluted this on later models though.
Ah gotcha.
The manual is pretty thin on mine saying dynamic is a "driving style" and only mentions having to change up on the paddles manually if it's in dynamic and sport.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
When mines in dynamic all the lights go red the car really tightens up great on bending roads ... it sounds different too and is faster imo

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
When mines in dynamic all the lights go red the car really tightens up great on bending roads ... it sounds different too and is faster imo
And our Scottish version of the car also switches over the music center automatically to the swirl of the bagpipes blasting out the cabin, and cans of full sugar Irn Bru rise up from the cup holders...Yes Donna's went dynamic and she's gone totally up to high doh :grin:

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
my 16 model never worked unless the garage charged it for me .... I gave up after a year.... the only time it worked was going from Portsmouth to Wales the minute I got into Wales it all of a sudden kicked in .... must have liked it there but broke again so I just gave up ... I love it but most would welcome it not working lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
my 16 model never worked unless the garage charged it for me .... I gave up after a year.... the only time it worked was going from Portsmouth to Wales the minute I got into Wales it all of a sudden kicked in .... must have liked it there but broke again so I just gave up ... I love it but most would welcome it not working lol
Nice to know of something that starts working in Wales!!

Stop/Start has so many conditions to be satisfied to function that it could be anything but the battery!

For instance the fuel pressure has to be at a certain level, and if the pressure if fine for normal driving but just a fraction too low for stop/start, it won't stop!
My son had this problem, new battery no change, nothing showed up on the diagnostics. a lot of scratched heads which provided an answer, The high pressure fuel pump was changed and it has worked perfectly ever since!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
662 Posts
On my MY15 Dynamic Lux it makes a big difference to suspension, throttle response & acceleration it goes & handles very well for a big old non-aerodynamic lump. But just watch the economy slide away FAST.:devil:

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
On my MY15 Dynamic Lux it makes a big difference to suspension, throttle response & acceleration it goes & handles very well for a big old non-aerodynamic lump. But just watch the economy slide away FAST.:devil:
Your right ... but don’t do economy lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car is booked in next week so we'll see what the outcome is. It doesn't matter if you use it or not, or if you like it or not, or for that matter what you may or may not have switched on. The fact is that it is a function that the car has that doesn't work! Now, where is that ladder so that I can get down off my soap box?!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts