Evoque Owners Club banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I turned off the keyless entry. I did not get a steering lock because the thieves take them off in seconds.
I'm trying to get a tracker insight of all these threads of cars stolen without a key.
A good steering lock cannot be taken "off in seconds".
A Disklok needs about 10 minutes with an angle grinder so imagine the noise and sparks with that.
Stoplock Pro is good too and might make them go elsewhere and find an easier car.
The visual deterrent may well mean your car is left alone.

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
A tracker also won't stop them stealing the car, if my car was stolen I wouldn't want it back, I haven't insured it as having a tracker thus I won't be telling the insurer where it is, once it's gone it's gone, I will however do my best to stop it being stolen

·
Registered
8 Posts
I turned off the keyless entry. I did not get a steering lock because the thieves take them off in seconds.
I'm trying to get a tracker insight of all these threads of cars stolen without a key.

When I claimed "stupid system", I just mean the easily defeated method of entry. In my old technology car that was stolen in the past. The thieves actually had to break the window to get into it and they hot wire the car, all that took some time and risk. It just sounds like with this car's security system, it sounds like it is easy to defeat and it is 20years newer.

I agree that thieves will break into anything , but something that would cause them difficulty doing the breaking in next to the car, is good for security etc.

What could JLR do for added security?
They could do simple things like 2 step authentication. So anytime the door opens after it was locked you get a ping or email etc. This even could be a simple physical switch etc.

So far the remote app just keeps on saying "Window is Open" and reports inaccurate information. But It does have good tracking.
You might have the old app. Mine kept saying that. I was told "Please uninstall the app and reinstall from apple store or playstore 'Land Rover Remote' all and not the Incontrol app."

Another thing which winds me up is all this crap about not being able to retrospectively fit a tracker or practically any other feature, which was not added when the vehicle was purchased. If other companies can fit things like an electronic tailgate, a tracker etc, I don't see why JLR refuse to do so. Although I have a steering wheel lock and CCTV footage, I want to have an additional alarm fitted which detects motion and beeps and flashes.

I'm not able to purchase the incontrol protect subscription, so the only option was the £36 one, which doesn't cover much at all. It seems to me that JLR is losing out on a lot of revenue, and they should have have some kind of concern when their cars are being so easily broken into. Customers are loaded into a false sense of security when keyless entry is disabled.

I haven't dared to tell my dad, as he was going on and on about not buying an Evoque, as they r stolen so frequently.

SOCO came, but no fingerprints were found. However, one of the thieves is easily recognisable, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know of a dashcam that automatically uploads to the cloud? The nextbase one needs the user to manually upload videos to the cloud. So if it is stolen, the latest footage of the thieving scum is lost.

Well, it's supposed to autosynch, but mine never did. I only noticed when it was stolen

·
Vendor
118 Posts
not necessarily, if you read your policy wording it will say for theft that there must be evidence of forcible and or violent entry in order for a theft claim to be valid, that could be a violent robbery or a broken window to evidence this, its a real grey area, for now insurance companies are paying out due to the backlash they would get for not paying out (see the recent business interruption covid-19 court battle) but all it needs is one insurer to take too many hits on this and decide to stick to the black and white wordings and we will see wholesale change in this approach, the hope is that wordings will be rewritten to account for this type of theft, most insurers are like analogue watches in a digital world currently
I had an insurance claim in January 2020 after my house was burgled and both cars taken. One of the insurers refused my claim on the grounds of there being no "violent and forcible entry" (the burglars had managed to unlock the house door without damaging it).

I wrote back to them quoting Calf v The Sun Insurance Office (1920) and argued that this established a principle of insurance plus, I quoted a Financial Ombudsman decision from 2010 (REF: DRN5846408) which supported that same principle that, “…force need not involve the use of physical violence” and that “…simply turning a handle or opening a shut door may be considered as forcible entry”. That same Ombudsman decision went on to clarify that an unidentified thief entering the [property] (the Ombudsman decision in this case actually relates to a car) would constitute forcible entry and further stated that it would be unfair for the claim to fail on a technicality such as the requirement of violence in addition to force.

They reversed their decision pretty quickly and paid my claim.

When I bought my car I looked online and gap insurance was about a quarter of the price the dealer was offering it for. I also found my current insurer guaranteed the purchase price for a total loss for the first year anyway!
Something I am not sure about with GAP insurance is that years ago if you bought a new car and it was stolen in the first year and never recovered, your car insurance paid to get you a replacement car of same price, so no need for GAP insurance, and i assume that is case nowadays or is it?

As when I look at GAP insurance ads, they are talking about you taking it on as per day one, so you get the cash difference to get a new replacement car in the first year, as well as year 2 and 3, so who is right? Do you really need GAP insurance in the first year?
It used to be the case that you could safely rely on "new-for-old" cover from your motor insurer and forgo GAP insurance in the first year either by: buying the cover but deferring the start date for the first year or; waiting and buying GAP insurance cover at the end of the first year.

Then in stepped the motor insurers with questionable reasoning behind their decisions to NOT keep up their side of the bargain when a physical replacement vehicle was called upon... or finance companies (particularly for PCP agreements) denying the motor insurer the ability to replace the vehicle new-for-old and, in most cases (there are exceptions), the motor insurer reverting to a market value payout instead.

In such cases, the GAP insurance policyholder would be stuck with a market value payout from the motor insurer and a GAP insurance policy that they'd either not purchased yet or which hadn't started yet. Invariably the complaint would come in to the GAP insurer for having allowed the deferred start date in the first place and, in the face of growing complaints, the market moved away from offering such things.

These days, most GAP insurers require you to buy cover within 3-6 months of taking delivery of the vehicle. There's now a very small number of GAP insurers who will still permit Invoice or Replacement GAP insurance cover to be purchased more than 6-months after taking delivery of the vehicle but, they're usually policies underwritten by offshore unrated insurers in the likes of Gibraltar, Malta and Denmark (which potentially opens up a whole other can of worms) and, given the rest of the market has moved away from allowing cover more than 6-months after taking delivery, the expectation is that they'll follow suit at some point (assuming they don't go bust first).

There's more info about the risks of using deferred start dates and relying on new-for-old cover from a motor insurer here, here and here.

As a general rule though... if you're leasing a vehicle on a personal contract hire agreement you almost certainly don't qualify for new-for-old cover from your motor insurer. Further... if you're financing the purchase of a vehicle with a PCP agreement, that "new-for-old" cover from your motor insurer is probably negated. There are very few exceptions.

In short... (assuming you want to have GAP Insurance at all) yes, you probably do need GAP insurance in the first year because, because assuming you get to the end of the first year without having needed it, you probably won't be able to buy it then.

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
When I bought our old MY16 on a PCP the dealer said we needed it as it was requirement of the finance agreement and should it get written off or stolen the insurance payout wouldn't cover the full amount and we'd be liable for the shortfall, that cars gone now and luckily no crashes or thefts occurred lol.

Now onto our new(to us) 20 plate, again on a PCP, the dealer made no mention of it, certainly never tried to sell it and when asked he said it wasn't a requirement from the finance company which based on the previous PCP I thought it was strange not to have to have it, so 3 months in and we don't have Gap.

Within the first week of owning it I did PM Gap insurance on here enquiring about taking a policy out and getting a quote but 3 months later I'm still waiting for a response

·
Vendor
118 Posts
When I bought our old MY16 on a PCP the dealer said we needed it as it was requirement of the finance agreement and should it get written off or stolen the insurance payout wouldn't cover the full amount and we'd be liable for the shortfall, that cars gone now and luckily no crashes or thefts occurred lol.

Now onto our new(to us) 20 plate, again on a PCP, the dealer made no mention of it, certainly never tried to sell it and when asked he said it wasn't a requirement from the finance company which based on the previous PCP I thought it was strange not to have to have it, so 3 months in and we don't have Gap.

Within the first week of owning it I did PM Gap insurance on here enquiring about taking a policy out and getting a quote but 3 months later I'm still waiting for a response
Yeah - sorry! This is my first time back to the forum today for some months. I hadn't received any notification of your message back in June, I only saw it this morning. At 11:55, I replied to your DM.

As mentioned in that message, if you're still seeking GAP insurance, with our policies you need to take it out within 3-months of taking delivery of the vehicle. I believe you therefore have 6-days or so to get it sorted (though some of our competitors will permit you to take out cover within 6-months).

If you want to give us another chance, give me a call on 01484 490095 or email me directly to [email protected].

·
Registered
MY16 Evoque SE TECH TD4 fully loaded
102 Posts
So you are saying car insurance are selling policies to insure a car say for £25,000 and then when the accident happens they are using a value that is cheaper say £20000. Leaving the paying customer cheated?

Should the insurance premiums also not reduce as the so called market value reduces or increases?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
That’s exactly what has been happening for years. You can declare whatever value you want when insuring your car, and they might even charge a higher premium the higher the value you declare, however, when it comes to a claim, they will only pay out on “market value” which inevitably will not be anywhere near the actual price you would have to pay to get a replacement.
Gap insurance is exactly what it says. It pays the gap between the purchase price and the “market value”. It’s possible to take out this type of insurance for different periods, usually 1, 2 or 3 years. As has been explained above, it usually has to be taken out at the time of purchase, or very soon afterwards.
Generally speaking, the higher the purchase price the more important it is to take out gap insurance, especially if you have finance on the car as otherwise, a right off 2 years in is likely to leave you owing more on the car than you can get back from your insurance claim.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That’s exactly what has been happening for years. You can declare whatever value you want when insuring your car, and they might even charge a higher premium the higher the value you declare, however, when it comes to a claim, they will only pay out on “market value” which inevitably will not be anywhere near the actual price you would have to pay to get a replacement.
Gap insurance is exactly what it says. It pays the gap between the purchase price and the “market value”. It’s possible to take out this type of insurance for different periods, usually 1, 2 or 3 years. As has been explained above, it usually has to be taken out at the time of purchase, or very soon afterwards.
Generally speaking, the higher the purchase price the more important it is to take out gap insurance, especially if you have finance on the car as otherwise, a right off 2 years in is likely to leave you owing more on the car than you can get back from your insurance claim.
Would you know if this standard practice in Euroupe?

Always thought that insurers pay out the value paid for the car, at the very least in the first year of the policy as the current market value of the car would not change?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I’m not sure about the rest of Europe. I know in the U.K. it is standard practice to layout “market value” regardless of declared value.
It is well known that any car bought new loses a few thousand as soon as you drive it off the forecourt due to taxes paid on the value.
I know insurers would only pay out the “market value” which would not include these taxes. So theoretically if you hit something as you drove away from the garage you could be out of pocket quite a bit.
Some insurers do have clauses which will give you a replacement vehicle of the same type if written off within a certain period after purchase from new.
It’s important that you check out the small print of whichever insurer you choose when buying a new car, especially when paying out Range Rover money.

I took out Gap insurance for 2 years when I bought mine, even though I didn’t have finance on it, purely so I could replace the car if the worst happend.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Is it true that it is cheaper to buy Gap insurance from an independent gap insurance company, rather than from JLR. (ie, the car dealership), as they just hike the price of GAP insurance?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,929 Posts
Is it true that it is cheaper to buy Gap insurance from an independent gap insurance company, rather than from JLR. (ie, the car dealership), as they just hike the price of GAP insurance?
Yes , by quite a lot

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Yes, for sure. A costly mistake I made in haste at the dealership 😟😡

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dealership products should be avoided if possible , advice saved me literally £600. I didn't opt for the aggressive salesman pitch of Supaguard Paint Protection and instead after buying the car, just did it myself for £30 and still have another application that I might put on in 6months.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Yes! Often considerably so.

See: Our GAP insurance is on average, £239 cheaper than your...

Additionally, it’s often superior cover from an independent company too. As an example… the latest iteration of the 4-year Land Rover GAP insurance policy, is “Invoice GAP insurance” in the first three years and then reverts to the inferior “Finance GAP insurance” level of cover in the fourth year. A 4-year Invoice GAP insurance policy from an independent provider would be “Invoice GAP insurance” for the whole duration of cover.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So if an insurance product is paying out market value on a car, how about the current rising secondhand values?
Are they going to pay out more than you originally paid for the vehicle

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Only on days when you see a pig flying over 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Andy.M and colin4x4
81 - 100 of 115 Posts