Evoque Owners Club banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
South African anti-car jacking design will incapacitate the hijacker (an understatement). Legal in South Africa for self defence only LOL :D

• Wow
Reactions: slaine

·
Registered
2017 (MY18) Carpathian Grey (with Black Pack) Range Rover Evoque HSE Si4 290 Dynamic Coupé
75 Posts
Morning All,

I had my MY21 Evoque stolen from outside the house overnight on Sunday.

Just a little reminder that you can’t be too careful. I hadn’t been using a farriday bag and they appear to have exploited that.

The police advised that there is a massive surge in RR thefts currently.

The police went to the location on the remote app, recovered the car and the thieves so a generally satisfying result but I am yet to see the condition of the car.

According to the journey history they were getting 9 mpg on their travels so looks to have been a rather spirited drive.
You should consider disabling the Keyless Entry. I did on mine. It's simple enough. You just press four buttons on the Remote in a certain combination (I forget at the mo). But, if you decide to do it, let me know and I'll look it up

·
Registered
2018 Landmark Moraine Blue Evoque
85 Posts
You should consider disabling the Keyless Entry. I did on mine. It's simple enough. You just press four buttons on the Remote in a certain combination (I forget at the mo). But, if you decide to do it, let me know and I'll look it up
If you can remember please post, looking to do ours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you can remember please post, looking to do ours.
Hi, I have this saved on my phone for easy reference lol. Ignore the photo of the Aygo it was a random advert in the article. I’m not looking to trade my Evoque in for one…. Yet….

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
Recently purchased a 2016 Range Rover Evoque. Keyless entry disabled. Car locked [as indicated on CCTV of mirrors slanted inwards], yet 2 little Sh1ts have managed to unlock the car and steal my NextBase dashcam.
The 1st guy is standing near the car and seems to do something and then he opens the driver's door and looks inside. The 2nd guy comes along after a minute and goes to the passenger door, opens it and leans inside. I think he took the dashcam.

Contacted crappy JLR who advised me that there is nothing they can do, as their security is "industry standard/compliant". They said I could take it to a dealership for a diagnostics test, but if there is nothing to suggest it is their fault [!!!], I might be charged.

I live in East London [Walthamstow] and a local Facebook group mentions this is happening quite a bit.
I've reported the incident to the Met.
Soooooo pi55ed off with JLR.

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
42 Posts
Hi all,
Recently purchased a 2016 Range Rover Evoque. Keyless entry disabled. Car locked [as indicated on CCTV of mirrors slanted inwards], yet 2 little Sh1ts have managed to unlock the car and steal my NextBase dashcam.
The 1st guy is standing near the car and seems to do something and then he opens the driver's door and looks inside. The 2nd guy comes along after a minute and goes to the passenger door, opens it and leans inside. I think he took the dashcam.

Contacted crappy JLR who advised me that there is nothing they can do, as their security is "industry standard/compliant". They said I could take it to a dealership for a diagnostics test, but if there is nothing to suggest it is their fault [!!!], I might be charged.

I live in East London [Walthamstow] and a local Facebook group mentions this is happening quite a bit.
sounds like a a certain eastern european toy was being used to test the system, i recommend you get a disklok asap

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Maybe post the footage on YouTube & ask if anyone can put a name to the faces. It won’t get your dashcam back but it could stop them doing it again.

·
Registered
MY16 Evoque SE TECH TD4 fully loaded
102 Posts
Sorry to hear, so you mean criminals can open the car with keyless being disabled?

Hi all,

Also, did you disable keyless on both your keys?

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
42 Posts
Sorry to hear, so you mean criminals can open the car with keyless being disabled?

Yes they can open and drive the car away with the keyless disabled all they do is scan the known frequencies for the manufacturer when they hit a match bingo they are away

will find the tool being used somewhere later

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep. I definitely have keyless entry disabled.

We disabled it and the other one is in a faraday pouch upstairs. In a folder, in a cupboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm thinking what to do, as there's no point buying another dashcam at present.
I'd like an extra alarm.
The funny thing is, when they unlocked the doors, the mirrors didn't come out, nor did it make the audible unlock sound which I have on. Scary.
They also nicked my ancient, spare Raybans from the sunglasses compartment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sh
I'm thinking what to do, as there's no point buying another dashcam at present.
I'd like an extra alarm.
The funny thing is, when they unlocked the doors, the mirrors didn't come out, nor did it make the audible unlock sound which I have on. Scary.
They also nicked my ancient, spare Raybans from the sunglasses compartment.
Thieving scum! That sounds awful. They sound like professionals. They will get caught soon. Report the serial numbers of the items stolen to the police. I wouldn't buy another dash cam as I'm pretty sure they are going to come back in future.

I dont understand how JLR can make a car that thieves can get into without a key and without breaking anything, that surely can't be industry compliant?

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
I pressume it was the gameboy method of entry then?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,929 Posts
I don't see how it's JLR's fault that the thieves are always able to find a way round security. Other makes are broken into too.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't see how it's JLR's fault that the thieves are always able to find a way round security. Other makes are broken into too.
That's true, but as the Evoque is one of the most stolen cars in the country, they should do something to update their security.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,929 Posts
That's true, but as the Evoque is one of the most stolen cars in the country, they should do something to update their security.
I think that's more down to being desirable . BM's , Mercs and Audi's are regularly stolen too, because they are also desirable.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
102 Posts
But to make a car that can easily be stolen without physically breaking into it is just absolute stupidity in my opinion and JLR are fully liable! JLR should do a security recall, or fit a free tracker for all RR cars.

You see an old 20 year old car needs to be physically broken into, (causing the alarm to sound), making the owner go and check what's going on. More chance of the thieves getting caught. This in my books is known as some sort of security. The JLR security is worse than 20 years ago.

With this stupid JLR system, the thieves are stealing the cars without any hassle, even with CCTV pointing at them. I'm sure they could have even driven past the police and would have not been troubled /got caught becuase there was no damage to the car.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
With this stupid JLR system, the thieves are stealing the cars without any hassle, even with CCTV pointing at them. I'm sure they could have even driven past the police and would have not been troubled /got caught becuase there was no damage to the car.
What stupid system is that ?
You are making plenty of assumptions.
This car was not stolen but the method of entry is of course a concern.
You don't know what method was used so how can you say the whole system is stupid?
It's owners who want the convenience of keyless etc and JLR are responding to that.
Whatever system is put in place the thieves will be working on new tech to overcome it and then JLR will respond and it goes round and round.
What additional security measures have you got in place on your car ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
What stupid system is that ?
You are making plenty of assumptions.
This car was not stolen but the method of entry is of course a concern.
You don't know what method was used so how can you say the whole system is stupid?
It's owners who want the convenience of keyless etc and JLR are responding to that.
Whatever system is put in place the thieves will be working on new tech to overcome it and then JLR will respond and it goes round and round.
What additional security measures have you got in place on your car ?
I turned off the keyless entry. I did not get a steering lock because the thieves take them off in seconds.
I'm trying to get a tracker insight of all these threads of cars stolen without a key.

When I claimed "stupid system", I just mean the easily defeated method of entry. In my old technology car that was stolen in the past. The thieves actually had to break the window to get into it and they hot wire the car, all that took some time and risk. It just sounds like with this car's security system, it sounds like it is easy to defeat and it is 20years newer.

I agree that thieves will break into anything , but something that would cause them difficulty doing the breaking in next to the car, is good for security etc.

What could JLR do for added security?
They could do simple things like 2 step authentication. So anytime the door opens after it was locked you get a ping or email etc. This even could be a simple physical switch etc.

So far the remote app just keeps on saying "Window is Open" and reports inaccurate information. But It does have good tracking.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts