Evoque Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I bought an Evoque last year. It had driven approximately 34,000 miles. we added only about 2,000 miles to it because of lockdown. Two months ago the steering rack failed. Because it happened at the weekend, the vehicle was recovered from the roadside and had to be taken to our local garage, which was not a JLR dealer. The fault was diagnosed as the usual and common shearing of the three aluminium bolts holding the motor in place. The nearest JLR dealers, some twenty five miles away, were not able to provide a replacement rack as they were unable to get one because the fault is so prevalent. Finally, when the replacement was received the repair was carried out quickly. When I contacted JLR they initially rejected any responsibility and refused any reimbursement of costs incurred. After persistent chasing, providing them with data about the prevalence of this fault, and threats of action before the courts, the agreed to reimburse the cost of the rack, but refused to pay the labour charges as they had not been carried out by an approved dealer. They also refused to pay the cost of hiring a replacement car - a Nissan Micra, so no extravagant expense. They have maintained this stance and refused to answer questions such as whether they would have met the cost of a recovery vehicle to take the car from our local garage to their dealer. This is undoubtedly a safety issue and the position of the Department is scandalous. I shall be pursuing JLR in the courts for the balance of my expense and intend to bring the whole matter to the attention of the press and the public at large. If anyone wants to join me in a 'class action' please let me know. JLR knows that vehicles are on the road in a potentially fatally dangerous state. I wonder of their CEO is aware. This does not live up to the hyperbole of the statements on their website about their standards and approach.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
347 Posts
My wife and I bought an Evoque last year. It had driven approximately 34,000 miles. we added only about 2,000 miles to it because of lockdown. Two months ago the steering rack failed. Because it happened at the weekend, the vehicle was recovered from the roadside and had to be taken to our local garage, which was not a JLR dealer. The fault was diagnosed as the usual and common shearing of the three aluminium bolts holding the motor in place. The nearest JLR dealers, some twenty five miles away, were not able to provide a replacement rack as they were unable to get one because the fault is so prevalent. Finally, when the replacement was received the repair was carried out quickly. When I contacted JLR they initially rejected any responsibility and refused any reimbursement of costs incurred. After persistent chasing, providing them with data about the prevalence of this fault, and threats of action before the courts, the agreed to reimburse the cost of the rack, but refused to pay the labour charges as they had not been carried out by an approved dealer. They also refused to pay the cost of hiring a replacement car - a Nissan Micra, so no extravagant expense. They have maintained this stance and refused to answer questions such as whether they would have met the cost of a recovery vehicle to take the car from our local garage to their dealer. This is undoubtedly a safety issue and the position of the Department is scandalous. I shall be pursuing JLR in the courts for the balance of my expense and intend to bring the whole matter to the attention of the press and the public at large. If anyone wants to join me in a 'class action' please let me know. JLR knows that vehicles are on the road in a potentially fatally dangerous state. I wonder of their CEO is aware. This does not live up to the hyperbole of the statements on their website about their standards and approach.
Sorry to hear of your trouble, but I'm glad to hear that we have a "heavyweight" fighting for our cause.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The facebook group has posted up confirmation from JLR from which VIN codes the bolts where changed and therefore NOT subject to this failure.....

The VIN is for MY2017 car ie the 10th digit of the VIN is a H. Any letter before this and you are at risk as the MY is preMY2017.

The MY2017 VIN range that are safe is from HH180416........nb the first H is the 10th digit in the VIN and H = MY2017 which is what you should check first <H you have the faulty bolts; or >H AND a serial less than 180416 and you have the faulty bolts; otherwise you are safe....
Nb the second H in the example above (11th digit on VIN) is the manufacture plant and so not relevant / can be ignored (in this case H for Heywood)

Nb These MY17 cars started production in September 2016 and so there will some ‘66 plate cars at risk and some that are safe......most / all ‘17 plate cars should be safe unless it was a MY17 car that was made in 2016 pre the bolt change and not registered until after March 2017.....I doubt there are any of those but it is feasible

So in summary

Pre ‘66 plate = faulty bolts
‘66 plate = could be at risk or safe
‘17 plate on = Safe (unless it was made around Sept/Oct 2016 and not registered until after March 2017)

ALL of the above is from information posted on facebook and so make of that what you will......it is supposedly from JLR themselves........it makes sense to me in so far as manufacturers would know the affected and “safe” VIN range

Attachments

Reactions: Col_C

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
352 Posts
Well that’s good to hear, can’t believe it has taken this long for JLR to reveal the safe VIN.
Thankfully my Evoque is in the safe zone but that doesn’t mean I won’t be checking them every so often visually. Not sure what I’ll see but imagine a sheared bolt may present itself even if only 1.

·
Registered
MY14 white evoque Dynamic 2.2 9 speed.
5 Posts
I live on the Isle of wight, and I do not think there is a Land rover dealer on the Island, so I am F&%$ed if the rack goes on My Evoque, hope they do not expect me to get the car to the main land.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure if this is a steering rack failure but its certainly steering something! Any advice?

Youtube link as I dont know if I can post a video on here!

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
Sure sounds like it, get under and have a look at the rack!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not sure if this is a steering rack failure but its certainly steering something! Any advice?

View attachment 8182
if it a steering rack failure you need to join the Evoque steering rack EPAs failure advice and recall campaign on FB. Mine hasnt failed YET but they are doing a great job of putting pressure on JLR and DVSA to recall the vehicles like BMW and Mercedes have voluntarily done. It’s essential that you complete a DVSA complaint form. The more we alert them to this problem the better. I sincerely hope it isnt the steering rack by the way.

·
Registered
531 Posts

View attachment 8182
It certainly appears to be the steering motor bolt failure......according to JLR you can still steer like that :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Plus 2014
96 Posts
Presumably you only fill in the DVSA complaint form in if you have experienced the issue or can you just object to JLR not recalling?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi David. I’m sorry to hear of your problem with the steering rack. I drive mine everyday worrying if the steering is going to fail as it is a 2012. it’s great to see someone with your skills taking them on. I’m happy to support any action especially when other car manufacturers have voluntarily recalled there vehicles...BMW and Mercedes being two of those.
I take it you are aware of the FB “Evoque & Disco Sport Steering Rack/EPAS Failure Advice & Recall Campaign”. They really could do with someone like you on board. They have done an awful lot of work so far trying to put pressure on JLR and DVSA to issue a recall. So many people appear to be having this problem and are not reporting to DVSA. It’s scandalous to think a country like the UK is allowing this to happen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Presumably you only fill in the DVSA complaint form in if you have experienced the issue or can you just object to JLR not recalling?
I think that’s the idea but I filled it in away and just put todays date in to get it to accept my complaint. No doubt they will delete it but if it keeps the problem in their minds .......

·
Registered
143 Posts

View attachment 8182
Chris

I would not attempt to drive that and get it transported to your nearest main JLR dealer asap. There's just a chance that you've caught it before the rack is irretrievably damaged by the motor breaking off.

Obviously you need to start the "fix on fail" complaint process so ably set out by Donna and others on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,573 Posts
Link to what straydog's talking about

Reactions: ChrisinCheshire

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sure sounds like it, get under and have a look at the rack!
I'm not that savvy to know what to look for or where to look, but thanks for tip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chris

I would not attempt to drive that and get it transported to your nearest main JLR dealer asap. There's just a chance that you've caught it before the rack is irretrievably damaged by the motor breaking off.

Obviously you need to start the "fix on fail" complaint process so ably set out by Donna and others on this forum.
Thanks Straydog. The car is undriveable, I cant actually turn the wheels. When it makes that horrible noise, the steering wheel physically cant be turned any further. Dread to think what would have happened if the failure occurred when driving.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,573 Posts
I don't think anyone has reported the racks breaking at any speed. The all seem to break while doing very low speed turns.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
116 Posts
Seems like I am on the wrong side of them numbers as well: HH169xxx
Wonder how it will work for non Canadian & non-British countries?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This MASSIVELY helped me! My husband could have died last night when the steering on his discovery sport completely went on the M60 on his way to work.
A loud clunk and the car veered straight into the fast lane as he was overtaking in the middle lane. Thankfully nothing too near in the fast lane, but he had a job getting it to steer left again eventually getting to the safety of the hard shoulder. He said it made an awful crunching sound trying to steer, like metal on metal.
With the steering rack clearly being a known problem I am at a loss to know how the DVSA can conclude they are not dangerous vehicles. We’ve had ours since 2015 when the new Ingenium engine started to come out. I have huge concerns that while thankfully my husband was unharmed, others may not be so lucky. Our local dealer (Sheffield) denied all knowledge of any steering rack issues despite all I have found on the internet. My husband has taken it up with Landrover UK. This post has helped the most, but I would be concerned that Landrover will not report this incident as it really wouldn’t be in their best interests. But then, nearly killing an NHS consultant in the middle of a pandemic probably wouldn’t be either.
if you are on Facebook we would be extremely grateful if you could join our group and share your experience. We are trying to campaign for a recall and a member was able to have the DVSA open a second investigation. We are interested in your story as it proves it can happen at speed and not just low speeds. Please search Facebook for - Evoque & Disco Sport steering rack/EPAS failure advice and recall campaign if you are interested.
That sounded so dangerous how it happened glad to hear nobody was hurt!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found a petition for this:

Hi, if you are interested in a campaign for a recall there is a group on Facebook called - Evoque & Disco sport steering rack/EPAS failure advice & recall campaign. You are more than welcome to join. Thanks for sharing the petition. I wrote the petition and it’s been a little slow to get signatures.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts