Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a few reports of steering rack failures here - which can work out as a very expensive fix (around £3000) so thought this might be of interest. For those that end up negotiating with LR it might even help.

These are the details of a 'Transport Canada' recall on Discovery Sport and Evoque:

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SPORT 2015 2016 2017
RANGE ROVER EVOQUE 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017

On certain vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in areas of heavy road salt usage during winter months (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador), the bolts that attach the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and fracture. This could allow the power steering gear assist motor to move, causing the belt to slip which could result in a loss of power steering assist. A loss of power steering assist would require additional steering effort which could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property.
Correction: Dealers will replace the aluminum mounting bolts with coated steel bolts and will apply a corrosion-preventative sealer around the gear housing and connecting bolts. If a bolt is found to be broken or breaks during the course of the repair, a replacement steering gear will be installed.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Su...ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2018180&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

Reactions: Bazz and Donna

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
There have been a few reports of steering rack failures here - which can work out as a very expensive fix (around £3000) so thought this might be of interest. For those that end up negotiating with LR it might even help.

These are the details of a 'Transport Canada' recall on Discovery Sport and Evoque:

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SPORT 2015 2016 2017
RANGE ROVER EVOQUE 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017

On certain vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in areas of heavy road salt usage during winter months (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador), the bolts that attach the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and fracture. This could allow the power steering gear assist motor to move, causing the belt to slip which could result in a loss of power steering assist. A loss of power steering assist would require additional steering effort which could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property.
Correction: Dealers will replace the aluminum mounting bolts with coated steel bolts and will apply a corrosion-preventative sealer around the gear housing and connecting bolts. If a bolt is found to be broken or breaks during the course of the repair, a replacement steering gear will be installed.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Su...ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2018180&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

That could come in very useful up here Hmmmuk.... Our roads are shocking during the winter months , other half cleans car weekly even through winter , just to wash the salt off...

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case it helps someone...

This is a response from the UK Gov's DVSA (Driver and vehicles standards agency) pasted from the DS forum.
"Fix on fail basis" - assuming all this is legit then it's good news that LR will fix failed steering racks and also that they are happy us owners won't experience a high speed failure!

"With regards to this case. The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.

In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, DVSA carried out a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle. The conclusions from the test drive are summarised below:
1. There is no evidence to suggest the vehicle does not comply with the original approval requirement.
2. The amount of effort required to control the vehicle with the EPS disconnected is greatest for manoeuvring and at lower speeds.
3. The amount of effort required with the EPS disconnected continues through the whole speed range.
4. The likely point of failure for the steering assistance motor to detach is at low speed or stationary as this is when the greatest torque is applied by the motor. At the point of maximum torque from the motor greater tensile loadings are applied to the bolts. As the load decreases the likelihood of detachment also decreases. This conclusion is based on engineering principles and experience.
5. The Driver has full braking available through the whole speed range.

It is not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, meets the definition of an unsafe product, set out in the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) 2005 Regulation 2.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. It is also clear that unless remedial action is taken, steering motor bolts will continue to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. DVSA have recommended that that Land Rover conduct a voluntary recall to rectify those vehicles with aluminium bolts which could potentially fail.
The manufacturer has recognised the fault with steering motor bolts breaking on Range Rover Evoque (and Discovery Sport) vehicles. They have explained they are carrying out remedial work on a ‘fix on fail’ basis. However, they have chosen not to instigate a recall as they consider the vehicles meet the Type Approval requirements for a vehicle with failed power steering.
DVSA have also recommended that the manufacturer should continue to monitor the situation and provide DVSA with information on the number of cases reported. The manufacturer should also provide DVSA with any new information, which may arise and could lead to DVSA reconsidering the current conclusions or recommendations.

This concludes DVSA’s current investigations into this matter."

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=108801#p108801

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
3,269 Posts
JLR, Don't you just love em?????:(:sad::mad:

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
This is just nuts?

Reactions: Bazz

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Aluninium bolts? Crazy notion. I'd like mine done now whilst they are as new.
In which case don't fly in an aircraft! Boeing and Airbus use aluminium alloy bolts all over their aircraft!!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Plane stupid.
:wink:
Aluminium bolt with an aluminium nut is ok.
It's when you mix aluminium and stainless steel and give it a bit of moisture.
Galvanic corrosion.
Ask the people who had the JLR designer dust caps as a freebie thank you gift.
Mole grips to get them off or even an angle grinder to cut the stem on the tpms sensor.
Woops!
:grin:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Plane stupid.
:wink:
Aluminium bolt with an aluminium nut is ok.
It's when you mix aluminium and stainless steel and give it a bit of moisture.
Galvanic corrosion.
Ask the people who had the JLR designer dust caps as a freebie thank you gift.
Mole grips to get them off or even an angle grinder to cut the stem on the tpms sensor.
Woops!
:grin:
Also some aluminium alloys don't like other aluminium alloys!

Donna go to the top of the class for brilliant joke 'riveting'!!
Many people use alloy rivets on steel and wonder why the rivet fails!

So they are coating the replacement bolts, well that bodes well as anybody who has tried to undo the bolts on the rear arms of a D3! Those bolts were cadmium coated when put in and seize solid after about 4 years on the car!

In the meantime pop out to your car, open the bonnet and have a look at the lefthand side engine mounting bracket. Depending on how much salt has splashed up there they won't look pretty! To cap it all the bolts that hold it to the engine are....coated steel! Rather meagrely coated at that!

Mind you it is nice to see plastic wings as they won't rust - ever!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just adding the UK Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) details to this thread to make it easy for those that have steering failure on their Range Rover Evoque to report it:

Report a Vehicle Safety Defect online

See previous posts - remember Land Rover will currently 'fix on failure' if you find yourself in this position!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update regarding "fix on fail"...

I keep an eye on the DS thread (see my earlier post in this thread for the link) and notice that the latest reply from DVSA now states:
"DVSA is led to understand that the fix on fail repair is not an offer of a free repair."

I'll be keeping my extended warranty going! :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case it helps someone...

This is a response from the UK Gov's DVSA (Driver and vehicles standards agency) pasted from the DS forum.
"Fix on fail basis" - assuming all this is legit then it's good news that LR will fix failed steering racks and also that they are happy us owners won't experience a high speed failure!

"With regards to this case. The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.

In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, DVSA carried out a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle. The conclusions from the test drive are summarised below:
1. There is no evidence to suggest the vehicle does not comply with the original approval requirement.
2. The amount of effort required to control the vehicle with the EPS disconnected is greatest for manoeuvring and at lower speeds.
3. The amount of effort required with the EPS disconnected continues through the whole speed range.
4. The likely point of failure for the steering assistance motor to detach is at low speed or stationary as this is when the greatest torque is applied by the motor. At the point of maximum torque from the motor greater tensile loadings are applied to the bolts. As the load decreases the likelihood of detachment also decreases. This conclusion is based on engineering principles and experience.
5. The Driver has full braking available through the whole speed range.

It is not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, meets the definition of an unsafe product, set out in the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) 2005 Regulation 2.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. It is also clear that unless remedial action is taken, steering motor bolts will continue to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. DVSA have recommended that that Land Rover conduct a voluntary recall to rectify those vehicles with aluminium bolts which could potentially fail.
The manufacturer has recognised the fault with steering motor bolts breaking on Range Rover Evoque (and Discovery Sport) vehicles. They have explained they are carrying out remedial work on a ‘fix on fail’ basis. However, they have chosen not to instigate a recall as they consider the vehicles meet the Type Approval requirements for a vehicle with failed power steering.
DVSA have also recommended that the manufacturer should continue to monitor the situation and provide DVSA with information on the number of cases reported. The manufacturer should also provide DVSA with any new information, which may arise and could lead to DVSA reconsidering the current conclusions or recommendations.

This concludes DVSA’s current investigations into this matter."

Power Steering Failure - Page 7 - Discovery Sport Forums
This MASSIVELY helped me! My husband could have died last night when the steering on his discovery sport completely went on the M60 on his way to work.
A loud clunk and the car veered straight into the fast lane as he was overtaking in the middle lane. Thankfully nothing too near in the fast lane, but he had a job getting it to steer left again eventually getting to the safety of the hard shoulder. He said it made an awful crunching sound trying to steer, like metal on metal.
With the steering rack clearly being a known problem I am at a loss to know how the DVSA can conclude they are not dangerous vehicles. We’ve had ours since 2015 when the new Ingenium engine started to come out. I have huge concerns that while thankfully my husband was unharmed, others may not be so lucky. Our local dealer (Sheffield) denied all knowledge of any steering rack issues despite all I have found on the internet. My husband has taken it up with Landrover UK. This post has helped the most, but I would be concerned that Landrover will not report this incident as it really wouldn’t be in their best interests. But then, nearly killing an NHS consultant in the middle of a pandemic probably wouldn’t be either.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
240 Posts
Please write to DVLA about this.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
This MASSIVELY helped me! My husband could have died last night when the steering on his discovery sport completely went on the M60 on his way to work.
A loud clunk and the car veered straight into the fast lane as he was overtaking in the middle lane. Thankfully nothing too near in the fast lane, but he had a job getting it to steer left again eventually getting to the safety of the hard shoulder. He said it made an awful crunching sound trying to steer, like metal on metal.
With the steering rack clearly being a known problem I am at a loss to know how the DVSA can conclude they are not dangerous vehicles. We’ve had ours since 2015 when the new Ingenium engine started to come out. I have huge concerns that while thankfully my husband was unharmed, others may not be so lucky. Our local dealer (Sheffield) denied all knowledge of any steering rack issues despite all I have found on the internet. My husband has taken it up with Landrover UK. This post has helped the most, but I would be concerned that Landrover will not report this incident as it really wouldn’t be in their best interests. But then, nearly killing an NHS consultant in the middle of a pandemic probably wouldn’t be either.
Wow first one I’ve heard that’s gone on a Motorway... when mine went I was doing a three point turn... how he managed to steer it , must of been petrified as I could hardly move steering wheel at all... so glad he wasn’t harmed.. the M80 isn’t far from me and is badly lite in places ... I would certainly report to Dvsa ... making it abundantly clear it happened at speed... mine was fixed free of charge after using lots of helpful info on here ... it went to Taggarts south... i to am NHS and they gave me a big full fat discovery hse ... had it six weeks as part was on back order... glad he is okey must of given him a fright😱

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@JFMB pleased it helped (y)
Remember you need to report to the DVSA:

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,312 Posts
A high speed failure needs reporting because upto now they've been reversing off your drive or 3 point turn failures and rightly or wrongly the DVSA don't appear too worried about those but that could change if they hear of a motorway failure which by luck didn't cause a fatality perhaps multiple

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this failure before Christmas. Low speed power steering failure with a lot of crunching noises when it tried to engage. Checked underneath to find the motor was loose and just sat on the steering rack.

Dealership claimed no knowledge so I called JLR direct. They immediately said it was fix on fail but needed the dealership to take a look and provide a report before they would commit to paying for the fix.

I did that and insisted with the dealer this was known by JLR. Felt very risky at the time but it needed fixed in any case. Just whether it was me or them paying the £2600 fixed service price. Come New Year, they phoned to say it was all being sorted. The car is back now and driving great.

I'd suggest follow a similar approach and you should get sorted. My car had no dealer service and is 2015 model.

With regards high speed dangers, I actually drove the car there In that state so I dont believe this issue would cause any of the aforementioned loose or locking steering. Above 30mph, the steering is fine, if a little noisy. If anyone had issues pulling off a motorway, I would suggest that's something more catastrophic thats failed.

Anyway, hope someone benefits from this 😊

1 - 20 of 38 Posts