Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You'd have to dislodge the motor I think and get said garage to transport it to a dealer

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,481 Posts
This is my thinking….

In the unlikely event that one bolt fails while trying to remove it (which is why “careful” is the optimal word) you ensure the other two look untouched and under the N613 campaign get JLR to replace the rack.
It would not be untrue to say that you “found” this broken bolt and think it’s from the rack :unsure: and let them join the dots based on all the other failures.

I certainly would not try to dislodge or induce a fault, as while the epas motor is intact there is still the option to replace the bolts and not the entire £3k rack.

Reactions: Gtiaps and Oboy

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
343 Posts
Even if one bolt breaks whilst driving the car, it doesn't necessarily mean that the steering will fail - which I guess has got to happen before the LR dealer will touch it. As Doink says, the rack motor will have to be dislodged somehow. I reckon they'd probably spot if it'd been tampered with, especiallly with all the penetrating oil around the bolts. I might be wrong, and they'd be happy to do it, but I have a feeling they would rather not if a reason could be found.
I've come to the conclusion that if you have a go yourself, you'll have to deal with whatever happens.
I wonder if anyone has found a broken bolt and reported it to LR - is that classed as a failure?

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Yes these bolts will mostly fail when under load, which is when turning the steering when stationery, Hence JLR wriggling out of a recall. A single bolt is probably fine and things will keep going, but the other bolts are then under more stress and awaiting corrosion themselves, 2 bolts is sure to be game over.

I wince everytime I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds when parking now...

To be fair it's worth a try before 10 years, because if you surpass the 10 years like me, it'll definitely not be a warranty item, so whats to lose.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,481 Posts
Phil, I do wonder if drivers that had many years of driving non power assisted cars treat the steering rack with more care?
When I learnt to drive it was almost impossible to turn the wheel unless moving forward or backward.
I still drive the same today by not going from lock to lock while stationary. The Park Assist must shred tyres (and steering racks?) by spinning the wheels on the spot.

The more mechanical sympathy you show your car, the better it will treat you. :unsure:

·
Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
380 Posts
I'm exactly the same learnt to drive non powered steering cars and trucks back in the day my 1st car and truck with power steering was a blessing lol.

I still now use the momentum of backwards and forwards turning the wheel at the same as said not only saves tyre tread and in the case of the the Evoque the rack bolts!!! 😀

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Its true I never turn the wheels when stationary unless I have to.

Either way though corroding bolts will fail eventually... maybe we're more likely to have them fail on the move 😱

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
MY12 | 2.2 L Diesel | Dynamic Lux
152 Posts
Hi all ,went into a local independent lr stockists for cple trim clips . He randomly asked how long have you owned your evoque " 12 months " I replied ,are you aware of the possibility of steering bolts shearing " no " I said . It's booked in for Thurs £90 + vat at a garage he recommended . Seems reasonable to what I hear quoted if they go
@Herby

Can i ask you where this indy is?

·
Registered
My12 fuji white dynamic lux 3 door 2.2sd4 pan roof 360 cameras black pack heated w/screen auto boot
71 Posts
@Herby

Can i ask you where this indy is?
@Macdexx hi the original information about the bolts was given to me by j.l.services willenhall west Midlands, they do parts, genuine parts, at a lower price than the stealers !! . Then the place they recommend me to go was SME autocentre too in willenhall west Midlands

·
Registered
My12 fuji white dynamic lux 3 door 2.2sd4 pan roof 360 cameras black pack heated w/screen auto boot
71 Posts
Follow up had work done today no issues with old bolts coming out . I did ask would there of been extra charge if bolts had not come out easily 🤔 reply was only done a handful so far and had no issues but would like to think price wouldn't go up much . Reference the price it was £90 Inc vat 😃

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
343 Posts
That's good Herby - could be a queue at their garage shortly 😀.

·
Registered
MY12 | 2.2 L Diesel | Dynamic Lux
152 Posts
@Macdexx hi the original information about the bolts was given to me by j.l.services willenhall west Midlands, they do parts, genuine parts, at a lower price than the stealers !! . Then the place they recommend me to go was SME autocentre too in willenhall west Midlands
Thanks @Herby.Gonna get mine booked in soon as I'm over the 10 years now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts