Evoque Owners Club banner

Steering broken I’m in trouble

27K views 330 replies 38 participants last post by  9492 
#1 ·
Well when dropping off materials for other half today, I pulled away did a three point turn... only managing two of the turns as the noise was horrendous and steering wheel wouldn’t turn .... so went into the house other half is refurbishing and he said just ring assist .... whoops I forgot to ring back with mileage and activate new extended warranty.... other half was not impressed said to call them anyway which I did and they couldn’t help even though I explained they said they would call me back to get mileage of car.... long story short ,it was too late to get towed to a garage other half told me to ring AA and join..... I didn’t have my card so he gave me his at this point he is just looking at me and I know what he is thinking lol..... £170 pounds later they sent a technician out to confirm the steering was broken .....ordered a lorry to pick up but to late to get to garage so currently on my drive.....sure I read somewhere it’s about 3k job .... 24k miles and 14 days out of warranty .... any ideas guys .
Other half wants to get it fixed at Landrover and just be done with it.... really poor the steering fails on a car this low mileage it is not possible to turn wheel even

#4 ·
Sorry to hear this Donna. Expensive mistake ?. A blonde moment ?

Reactions: 9492
#5 ·
A couple on eBay for sale new from transit parts uk £899.95 and a recon from Glasgow power steering £798 supply and fit,either might be a cheaper alternative if you get no luck from Landrover.

#6 ·
Let’s not do the blonde jokes lol..... I’m thinking of calling JlR complaints on Monday just read what HMMMUK POSTED... regarding recalls in Canada and on the disco ....can’t be right this fails at 24000 miles .... other half has no idea it’s this much money yet.... just thinks it’s broken....
think if getting fixed then I’d use JLRas they say parts need coding to car etc just don’t know how to approach this or where to get it sent too.

#7 ·
Hi @Donna - you said this might come in useful! ;)
Steering Rack Recall (Canada)

I'm pretty sure if this is your issue LR will sort you out.
They often start with 'part payment' offers etc. but end up doing the right thing when they realise people have the facts!

As I've mentioned previously, people seeing these failures should also report to the UK DVSA to build a case for a recall to help everyone.

Re. Extended Warranty - I'm not sure how you messed this up?!?
I wasn't asked for any mileages etc. when I did mine recently. As long as the RRE stayed within the LR dealer network then no inspection was required - just the money!

Follow my link to the DS forum in my post to read more...

#8 · (Edited)
Hasn't a recent poster on here just got his replaced out of warranty after LR offered goodwill or something, he mentioned the recall in Canada which swung it I believe

EDIT, here it is, you even commented on it yourself Donna, i think this is your course of action

#11 ·
If it's the bolts failing they will pay for it all! Sometimes they take a bit of persuasion - but we all know that's not a problem for Donna ;)

Rather than issue a recall in the UK, LR have decided to fix on a case by case basis.

#13 ·
I cannot believe after them calling me to renew extended warranty and me telling them yes but I didn’t have mileage that they asked for available ... I’d just come out of doing scan in radiology..and to be honest he said he would ring back .... I worked over Xmas and it’s slipped my mind .... so annoyed at myself

#14 ·
I would Donna, drop it in their lap for a monday confrontation, ring LRCS tomorrow, inform them of your disgust and raise a ticket. Make them aware its a known fault and was in actual fact a recall in Canada.

Warranty though Donna warranty come on girl whats up wi ya?

Reactions: 9492 and HmmmUK
#15 ·
Bit stressed out too be honest... don’t cherish the thought of telling other half it’s a 3k fix although I know he will just look at me and pay it lol .... are the complaints open on a Sunday? I thought I’d have to get it tested before I call them?....it will have to go Monday regardless.....I’m probably going to take Monday off now as other half under pressure at work ...too busy to wait around for AA ,and them to answer phones , he is just better than me at this... I will call taggarts and inform them it’s coming over on truck on Monday and that I’m aware there is a known fault then call complaints when I know what problem is for definite... think that’s the right way forward guys?

#16 ·
Don't think the service advisors work weekends but you could just inform reception to give service the heads up on monday that its coming in on a truck, like you say take it from there, let them investigate it and wait to see if they give you a quote.......then kick off.

Have you just had it MOT'd too Donna?

#17 ·
This might help you Donna, credit goes to HmmmmmmUK for this

This is a response from the UK Gov's DVSA (Driver and vehicles standards agency) pasted from the DS forum.
"Fix on fail basis" - assuming all this is legit then it's good news that LR will fix failed steering racks and also that they are happy us owners won't experience a high speed failure!

"With regards to this case. The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.

In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, DVSA carried out a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle. The conclusions from the test drive are summarised below:
1. There is no evidence to suggest the vehicle does not comply with the original approval requirement.
2. The amount of effort required to control the vehicle with the EPS disconnected is greatest for manoeuvring and at lower speeds.
3. The amount of effort required with the EPS disconnected continues through the whole speed range.
4. The likely point of failure for the steering assistance motor to detach is at low speed or stationary as this is when the greatest torque is applied by the motor. At the point of maximum torque from the motor greater tensile loadings are applied to the bolts. As the load decreases the likelihood of detachment also decreases. This conclusion is based on engineering principles and experience.
5. The Driver has full braking available through the whole speed range.

It is not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, meets the definition of an unsafe product, set out in the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) 2005 Regulation 2.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. It is also clear that unless remedial action is taken, steering motor bolts will continue to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. DVSA have recommended that that Land Rover conduct a voluntary recall to rectify those vehicles with aluminium bolts which could potentially fail.
The manufacturer has recognised the fault with steering motor bolts breaking on Range Rover Evoque (and Discovery Sport) vehicles. They have explained they are carrying out remedial work on a ‘fix on fail’ basis. However, they have chosen not to instigate a recall as they consider the vehicles meet the Type Approval requirements for a vehicle with failed power steering.
DVSA have also recommended that the manufacturer should continue to monitor the situation and provide DVSA with information on the number of cases reported. The manufacturer should also provide DVSA with any new information, which may arise and could lead to DVSA reconsidering the current conclusions or recommendations.

This concludes DVSA’s current investigations into this matter."

#19 ·
We had a loud clanking noise come from ours about a week ago wife turned sharply on the the end were she parks the car
Took it out straight away after and it did it again a few times on hard lock as you pulled away but hasn’t done since goes in for its mot on 05/02/20 so waiting to see if it throws anything up
But expecting the worst if not may be the right time to get rid

#21 ·
Thinking about it TY mine made a wee noise reversing out of drive last week, hope it wasn’t a tell tale sign , I was on full lock today when it went in middle of road , some Pratt hooted me , but couldn’t move it , guy pulled into his drive ... didn’t hoot again going out as other half and his squad all came out to help, ,

#24 ·
Probably shite himself when he sore them and hope it turns out to be a component and not a full rack fingers crossed for you the noise I heard from ours sounded like something coming out and cracking back in or something giving but will have to wait and see

#28 ·
Poor Donna, hope the wine helped. Sounds like you have all the ammo to get it repaired by JLR. Best of luck!

Think JLR are a bit silly not recalling this, recall for three bolts and a safe car over a whole steering rack and putting the occupants at risk let alone the hassle factor, who knows where you may be when it goes, you dont have to be going fast to get into trouble as it strands the car.

I do wonder did they change the rack design in 2014/5, as doesn't seem to affect the earliest ones... hopefully ?. Strangely about the same time today our little Volvo made the most horrendous noise turning into Homebase carpark, I had it jacked up in the car park checking the brakes etc, think it was a metal strip jumped up into the brake disc off the road. Also had this 3 times in my Evoque over the years with metal and stones.

Tiberius you should probably get the steering rack bolts checked, explaining the noises from the steering.

#29 ·
Sorry to hear this Donna, nightmare! Reading all the other posts and with the known recall surely JLR will do the right thing. Fingers crossed for you tomorrow ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.