Evoque Owners Club banner

281 - 300 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I thought that initially. But then I remembered about all the DS failures (see previous link) and they are often newer models.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yeah to be honest I haven't really taken any notice of the DS, I was starting to wonder if the 2nd gen evoque had different bolts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hopefully LR have got their act together on the latest models :rolleyes: !
As the salt etc. gets to work I guess we'll hear of more failures as time goes on :(

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Agree Doink, thought it was MY14 and 15 at risk... now an My16.5!

Good luck Boltby, they should do this as a fix on fail for free as Donna has been through, let us know how it pans out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree Doink, thought it was MY14 and 15 at risk... now an My16.5!

Good luck Boltby, they should do this as a fix on fail for free as Donna has been through, let us know how it pans out!
Thank you all. Having looked at the DS forum, there seems to be a common theme. Suspect the pre ingenium steering arms are exactly the same as MY16 and beyond. Fix On Fail seems to be the initial view and will keep the forum updated.

Incidentally, over the last few weeks 6-10, I had started to notice a slight (low frequency) vibrating noise, rattle, from the footwell area, drivers side. I put it down to a loose loom. It could have been due to partial failure of the bolts. The noise had gradually increased, but wasn’t loud.

Once again, can’t thank people enough for all their helpful posts.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It should help in the long term.
It will be interesting to see how things are handled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, quick update - back on the road. Followed Donna’s advice on the locked down thread.
Steering rack authorised by JLR so zero cost.
Received a positive attitude from JLR, but a bit stressful until the authorisation is confimed.
Burnt an extra 10000 calories off this week, biking to work, walking. Probably another 100000 from stress 😀.
No doubt more posts will arrive regarding this concern, you’re in safe hands here, just follow the excellent advice. 👍

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Excellent News Boltby!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That is very good news for all who may experience this problem in the future. (y) (y):)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hi, quick update - back on the road. Followed Donna’s advice on the locked down thread.
Steering rack authorised by JLR so zero cost.
Received a positive attitude from JLR, but a bit stressful until the authorisation is confimed.
Burnt an extra 10000 calories off this week, biking to work, walking. Probably another 100000 from stress 😀.
No doubt more posts will arrive regarding this concern, you’re in safe hands here, just follow the excellent advice. 👍
Don't broadcast your resultanat calorie usage otherwise JLR may start charging for this weight reduction service!!!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't broadcast your resultanat calorie usage otherwise JLR may start charging for this weight reduction service!!!:D
Reply from DVSA - 16 March 2020
I have been passed your case to consider which has the above reference number.
DVSA have received several similar defect cases. These reports have been submitted advising of power steering failures on the Land Rover product range. The vehicles reported with the problem are the Discovery Sport and the Range Rover Evoque. The failures have left drivers having to apply additional effort and without warning. The concern raised is this could lead to loss of control or an accident if the driver were not able to react in time or apply enough effort particularly at speed.
In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle was carried out.
Following the test drive examination it was concluded that failure is most likely to occur at very low manoeuvring speeds and unlikely at higher speeds. If it were to fail at very low speed, the driver is able to bring the vehicle to a safe stop very quickly. For these reasons, it was not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, met the definition of an unsafe product.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. DVSA has recommended the manufacturer carries out a recall but they insist on carrying out repairs on a fix on fail basis.
Whilst DVSA shares your concerns, unfortunately there is no further action to be taken with regards to your vehicle. However, DVSA are continuing with investigations into the reason for failure and will publish any new findings should they arise. Your details will remain on file for future reference.
Regards

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
What a cop out, well done DVSA. I suppose we will have to wait until somebody dies. :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad::mad::mad:JLR HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Reply from DVSA - 16 March 2020
I have been passed your case to consider which has the above reference number.
DVSA have received several similar defect cases. These reports have been submitted advising of power steering failures on the Land Rover product range. The vehicles reported with the problem are the Discovery Sport and the Range Rover Evoque. The failures have left drivers having to apply additional effort and without warning. The concern raised is this could lead to loss of control or an accident if the driver were not able to react in time or apply enough effort particularly at speed.
In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle was carried out.
Following the test drive examination it was concluded that failure is most likely to occur at very low manoeuvring speeds and unlikely at higher speeds. If it were to fail at very low speed, the driver is able to bring the vehicle to a safe stop very quickly. For these reasons, it was not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, met the definition of an unsafe product.
However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. DVSA has recommended the manufacturer carries out a recall but they insist on carrying out repairs on a fix on fail basis.
Whilst DVSA shares your concerns, unfortunately there is no further action to be taken with regards to your vehicle. However, DVSA are continuing with investigations into the reason for failure and will publish any new findings should they arise. Your details will remain on file for future reference.
Regards
Thanks for the update.

While this is the case, you would think that LR would issue instructions to their dealer network etc. to authorise the free replacement without many people (as seen here) having to fight for the right outcome after being told 'no' or only offered partial costs!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Received the same copy/paste reply, it’s a bit sickening knowing some victims accepted partial costs when others got no cost - however, that’s where the info on this site helps you out. Going to the dealer ‘green’ could have had a totally different outcome.
The repair solution should be the same across the board, no ifs, no buts.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thanks for the update.

While this is the case, you would think that LR would issue instructions to their dealer network etc. to authorise the free replacement without many people (as seen here) having to fight for the right outcome after being told 'no' or only offered partial costs!
Free replacement of what, the 3 bolts or the entire rack? LR will not issue a recall because they daren't touch the bolts as they'll shear off leaving LR to replace the whole rack, yes ok you can argue they're replacing racks FOC anyway as per this thread but they are doing them on a 'fix on fail' basis, when it breaks we'll fix it but no sooner, can you imagine the work load and back log the dealers would have if replacing the bolts became a recall, I'm certain 99% of those would become rack jobs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

This is my first post as I've just joined the forum to say thanks for saving me over £2800 when our MY14 Evoque suffered the dreaded steering rack failure at the end of February.

The failure occurred on 29 February and the vehicle was taken to the supplying dealer, Inchcape Southampton, on 02 March with the diagnosis of the steering rack motor bolt failure being made on 05 March (despite being booked in for diagnosis on 04 March!). Cost of repair £2830.42!!!

The Service Adviser and Service Manager at Inchcape Southampton had no knowledge of this being a known failure and offered no assistance regarding contacting JLR to see if they would contribute towards the cost of the repair. Apparently, this is because JLR haven’t issued a Technical Bulletin in relation to this failure.

Luckily, I'd come across this forum which described in detail how to proceed with contacting JLR customer services (and the DVSA) and JLR approved the full cost of the repair on 04 March (thanks to Adeel at JLR for his help). I received the same copy and paste response from the DVSA as others on here have received – at least they’ve got another case to add to their statistics on this failure.

On a side note – for some reason we had 2 vehicle health checks performed on our Evoque. On the first the tyres were deemed to be unsafe as they all had tread depths of between 1.6 and 2.5 mm; however, on the second check 4 days later the tyres all had tread depths of between 3 and 3.5mm. Does anyone know if service staff arebon commission for tyre sales at dealerships? Based on the results of the first vehicle health check it would be a bit worrying if they were.

I'm now in the painful process of trying to recover £150 that I paid to hire a car to keep me mobile as Inchcape Southampton had no courtesy cars and no account with the local Enterprise as they hadn't updated their address following the move to their new multi-million pound site in November 2018! 3 weeks and counting since I submitted the invoice and little prospect of receiving payment anytime soon due to Covid-19.

Unfortunately, this episode meant that we lost faith in both the car and the dealership (this is the latest in a long list of examples of poor customer service) and we traded the Evoque in for a new Volvo XC60 on 14 March.

Again, thanks to all for being such a great source of knowledge and expertise on Evoques. I hope there is a similar resource for our Volvo!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hi robinpl, keep chasing for you refund. It is sad that you have had to change motors but may be for the best, I hope tour Volvo fares better. Best of luck in the future.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
That is a great shame but so typical of so many dealers-very happy to take your money initially but lack of service afterwards sucks.
having said that and before people hang me (wouldn't some just love to do that?) there are actually some dealers that go way above and beyond to help and to put things right,
It is a sad that you have had this experience from your local Inchcape (I find them to be one of the worst anyway-whatever the car brand)
good luck with the Volvo, enjoy it and keep going.

281 - 300 of 320 Posts