Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen excessive steam/condensation being emiited from the fuel filler inlet whilst refuelling with diesel ?

My dealer advised me they are aware of it on othet SD4s but the factory has yet to comment on it.
They don't know why it happens but no harm is being done.

Had anyone else received more precise feedback from their dealer?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup I get that now and then from my FL2, especially if it's not quite empty when I take the filler cap off. Same engine and fuel system, 2.2SD4 as the Evoque. The fuel tank will (whilst the engine is running and for a short while after you have stopped it) hold apressure slightly above atmospheric inside it. Diesel will get a bit frothy if you agitate it enough (you will have seen the froth coming up the filler tube just before the pump cuts out?). So if there is any fuel froth in the tank when you take off the filler cap it is probably fuel particles from the froth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redbikerakt but I've not seen the fuel frothing.

I'm not convinced that it's just steam. As a few days ago the fumes were so bad that it was causing discomfort whilst refuelling. The dealer is seeking advice from LR. I've never come across this peculiarity with any other diesel car.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It is highly unlikely that it is steam. Steam can only be produced by evaporating water! If you have water in your fuel tank the car would run very badly or not at all!
I'd be very interested to find out what the root cause of the problem is AK, I hope you get a sensible answer and the correct action out of LR.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Diesel is essentially paraffin/kerosine.

If you have an old paraffin pressure lamp you will know that hot, pressurised paraffin appears as a grey steam/smoke. It is HIGHLY flammable.

Hope the fuel tanks are not getting hot from the exhaust. Hot pressurised diesel might produce this same effect....

It would only take a spark to set off a gas/air explosion.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
This is a known issue and has been discussed many times on the forums, by all accounts it is not a safety problem, I've never seen it but on the one occasion my wife filled it up it happened to her!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts