Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally, I press the starter button in conjunction with the brake pedal, and nothing happens.

I picked up my 2012 Evoque 2.2 Pure 4 weeks ago, and whilst this has only happened 3 times, it is a little concerning, do you think this is a starter motor problem? Fortunately, this car has only completed 26,000 miles and I have a one year Warranty......any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,112 Posts
Hi and welcome. Hopefully someone will be along soon with advice as i've no idea what could be causing your problem

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
NormanAS said:
Occasionally, I press the starter button in conjunction with the brake pedal, and nothing happens...........any suggestions?
Maybe try pressing the clutch instead then, thats how mine works

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Doink said:
NormanAS said:
Occasionally, I press the starter button in conjunction with the brake pedal, and nothing happens...........any suggestions?
Mine too

·
Super Moderator
10,112 Posts
the beast said:
Doink said:
NormanAS said:
Mine too

Yours was broken though

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
As some of the other have pointed it's the clutch
I also have a MY12 and if I get in and press to start
To quickly it does not start usually just take my
foot of the clutch and start again starts no problem
I don't think it's anything to worry about my
misses starts it first time every time put
it down to me

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
NormanAS, Is your car an auto? If so, don't go looking for a clutch pedal!

Can't really offer much help, but what happens after it fails to start? Does it start straight away when you retry it?
Could be the switch that the brake pedal activates is dodgy. I find that in very cold weather it takes a few seconds for the starter motor to work as I think it waits for the glow plugs to heat up, whereas in warmer temps it whirrs into life straight away. Perhaps your glow plugs are getting tired.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Being a diesel if cold the glow plugs need to heat up so there is often a delay . Sometimes if you haven't pressed hard enough you need to press again. Make sure you press hard enough on the brake. I doubt if there is any thing wrong

·
Super Moderator
2,262 Posts
You may be not pressing firmly enough on the Button too, but you would not be the first to suffer a faulty start button, if it happens often enough you can demonstrate it to your dealer get it sorted while under warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sometimes if you press the starter button too quick the car hasn't had time to realise you have pressed the brake ie you press the starter slightly before the brake.Mine is manual and for me its the clutch not the brake but it always starts

C

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It won't be the clutch pedal then!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, just wondering if you managed to get your intermittent starting problem sorted? I have the same problem, except it's getting worse. Usually it now takes me 5 to 10 minutes of pressing the Switch before it'll finally start!
Mines a Manual, so I have to keep the clutch pressed before pressing the Start Button. The dash lights all light up on the first press, which makes me think the Start Button itself is fine.
I've tried all the ideas above. Even changed both Clutch Pedal Sensors to no avail.. I've also noticed my Eco (Stop/Start) light on the switch goes out after a few seconds. Its currently not working, even when its started and driving normally..
Any help/advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi - Unfortunately the original poster hasn't been around after these two posts in April :(
So unlikely he will answer...

Perhaps someone else will be able to help though.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
I’ve no idea but other half’s van has few problems starting in cold last week ..... new glow plugs in and fine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts