Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2018 Evoque (pre-owned). Since the first time I saw it, I noticed that there were some stains on the outside trims and grills. I thought it would be removable with proper cleaning but I was wrong. After testing several cleaning products I realize that it is really deep in the plastic and it doesn't come out, not a single bit. I post a photo where you can see what I am talking about and to know if someone has already faced this problem.

I can always wrap or paint it gloss black, but atm I would like to keep it grey.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
plastics unfortunately in newish cars arnt very good customer of mine has a new Q3 and the gloss panels in between the doors are all discoloured, hes taken it back a few times but theres nothing they can do polishing wont work so i sugested he gets the panels wrapped which is what hes going to do

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The black plastic trims on the rear quarters on mine are covered in what looks like water stains but will not clean off it really spoils the back end.

·
Registered
262 Posts
all are the same bmw audi almost looks like a petrol stain on some cars ,wet it it goes away when it dries it comes back

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
I gTechniq ceramic coated all of my trims and they still look good as new 8 years on. Highly recommend it.

If the marks disappear when wet, it's worth trying some ceramic coat as it will often reduce these dramatically. such as
https://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c4-permanent-trim-restorer

not cheap mind, but only need a small bottle which can do all your black trim arches etc too, and worth using some polish by hand first if it's painted or a cleaner for plastic unpainted trims.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
all are the same bmw audi almost looks like a petrol stain on some cars ,wet it it goes away when it dries it comes back
IF we ever get a dry day I will pop out and check😂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this issue:

After trying and consulting all the alternatives, The only solutions found was to re-paint. I got an offer o 1000 chf (=dolar). Of course I did't take it and decided to embrace the project by myself.

Since I wasn't sure about the color I wanted to get, I got a can of plastic dip gun metal matte paint.
Like this I can decide what goes better and latter, when this paint goes out, do a definitive paint job.

Final result was much better than I was expecting and the paint is holding on quite good!

For now it will be like this, I leave you with some photos.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
You
Update on this issue:

After trying and consulting all the alternatives, The only solutions found was to re-paint. I got an offer o 1000 chf (=dolar). Of course I did't take it and decided to embrace the project by myself.

Since I wasn't sure about the color I wanted to get, I got a can of plastic dip gun metal matte paint.
Like this I can decide what goes better and latter, when this paint goes out, do a definitive paint job.

Final result was much better than I was expecting and the paint is holding on quite good!

For now it will be like this, I leave you with some photos.

Cheers
You've done a good job there PB, looking nice

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi PB, you should get a job with JLR, their trim quality would increase massively. (y) ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha thanks! Like in all brands, they cut production costs wherever they can. I am sure this poor plastic coating saves them a few pounds per car, among other cuts almost undetected by clients, it makes some difference!

Honestly, I like this color more than the original one =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts