Evoque Owners Club banner

Spare wheel

8K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  bildeb0rg 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you can put a full sized wheel (ie matching the rest on the car) in the wheel well in the boot? My dealer says the only options are an emergency wheel or a repair andblow up kit.
The drivers handbook under wheel changing says to make sure you screw down the emergency wheel or the replaced wheel in the boot, the fixing method looks the same as the Freelander (my present car) in which I have a full sized wheel, I understand that the Evoque (isn't that a dreadful name!) is based on the Freelander, the boot in the one I looked at a my dealers launch appeared to have the same floor as my Freelander although it was fitted with a great big polystyrene moulding with a blow up kit in it.

It looks to me that the wheel ought to fit - I have already ordered my car and would like to get a "proper" sparewheel.

#2 ·
I've ordered a spare wheel, my dealer told me it was a proper wheel but it would be an 18 inch wheel, I ordered 20 inch wheels so I asked if the car would be lop sided if I had to put the spare on, he said the rim is 18 but the tyre is bigger so it would-be the same as a 20 inch. If that makes sense.
Hope this helps
Onebigjobby

#4 ·
Graham,

I've just requested some information, as soon as I've heard back I will let you know.

Regards

Nick

#6 ·
Depends on the extent of the damage. If it's a screw or nail causing a leak, no problem. If it's a tear in the sidewall, no chance. Using the kit will always render the tyre useless. If it's a small and simple hole and the kit has not been used, it can sometimes be plugged to rescue the tyre. A spare wheel for me makes sense.Edited by: mark_n

#10 ·
OnebigJobby said:
I've ordered a spare wheel, my dealer told me it was a proper wheel but it would be an 18 inch wheel, I ordered 20 inch wheels so I asked if the car would be lop sided if I had to put the spare on, he said the rim is 18 but the tyre is bigger so it would-be the same as a 20 inch. If that makes sense.
Hope this helps
Onebigjobby

So if I opted for 19" wheels and the spare they would make sure the 18" spare and tyre would match the 19" too?

#12 ·
Hi been advised to go for Spare wheel !! As you then get the jack and the other tools with the wheel and to buy and fit and make secure in boot would be alot more hassle and alot better than a can of foam any day tried it once before never again and what a mess trying to get it off the wheel !!
KevEdited by: kevoque

#14 ·
Perhaps Mortz or Graham can post some insight on this, but when I got a non-repairablepuncture on my RRS I recall being told that I would have to change both tyres on that axle at the same time as if the tread depth was different on the two different tyres it would have the effect of constantly rotating the two sides of the differential at different speeds and although that's what it's designed for, prolonged running like this would eventually screw it up (or something more technical). My worry would be (and question is) if we carried a full size spare on the Evoque and used it for a prolonged period, would we be risking damage to the diff (assuming different tread depths and therefore rotational speeds)? Or have I been misled by a certain tyre repair place...

#15 ·
Graham said:
Does anyone know if you can put a full sized wheel (ie matching the rest on the car) in the wheel well in the boot? My dealer says the only options are an emergency wheel or a repair andblow up kit.
The drivers handbook under wheel changing says to make sure you screw down the emergency wheel or the replaced wheel in the boot, the fixing method looks the same as the Freelander (my present car) in which I have a full sized wheel, I understand that the Evoque (isn't that a dreadful name!) is based on the Freelander, the boot in the one I looked at a my dealers launch appeared to have the same floor as my Freelander although it was fitted with a great big polystyrene moulding with a blow up kit in it.

It looks to me that the wheel ought to fit - I have already ordered my car and would like to get a "proper" sparewheel.
Hi Graham,

I've been
advised by our brand team that unfortunately the space provided is not
sufficient for a full size spare wheel. This is why we only offer a reduced
size wheel and tyre or the Land Rover tyre repair kit options.

I hope this
helps with your preparation for your new vehicle. I'm sorry, I know you might
be disappointed as you wanted to get a full size spare wheel.

If you have
anymore questions let me know and I will be happy to find out.

Regards

Nick

#20 ·
All New cars in this day and age do not supply spare wheels they are an option to get you homeeither that or foamADVICE!!! ORDER a spare wheel & get over it !! yous are spending how much ???on a vehicle you like stop whinning about option order it or use foam !!
Simples

Kev

#21 ·
given the capacious nature of the boot why not just sling a full size wheel/tyre combo in there and tie it down with a bungee/ratchet strap? probably still enough room in there for the golf clubs too...

#22 ·
That sounds like a tip from Viz!

If you are ultra cautious or fancy a stab at the Paris Dakar, I managed to fit4 full size wheels completetyres in the back of mine at the weekend,you would have to give up golf (and rear seat passengers) though but Snooker would still be an option ... just.

#23 ·
scol2000 said:
That sounds like a tip from Viz!

If you are ultra cautious or fancy a stab at the Paris Dakar, I managed to fit4 full size wheels completetyres in the back of mine at the weekend,you would have to give up golf (and rear seat passengers) though but Snooker would still be an option ... just.

clearly we are both showing our age here

i used to squeeze 3 rims and slicks in the boot of my old civic vti on track days with the fourth in the spare wheel well.
as the 'voque doesn't have a ski chute for a cue there's always the secret compartment in the glove box for a set of darts???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.