Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just filled Mrs CH's Evoque up tonight. It's the second time I've done this and noticed both times that there seems to be smoke coming out as I'm pumping diesel in. Is this normal/dangerous/common? Do I need to increase Mrs CH's life policy?
Thanks,

CH.

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
I don't know what the hell that is CH but you'd know all about it if it were smoke eh?I assume there is a release of pressure as you twist off the filler cap and the 'smoke' appears and vanishes instantly?

Fuel, is the rubbish that petroleum companies don't actually want. It a finely blended bunch of rubbish to reach the required octane ratings and meet all regulations...
It breaks their hearts when they have to top it up with good stuff to meet the grade.
So its never the exactly the same. This could be just lighter stuff that has not mixed well and under the temp and pressure of your tank it has 'flashed off'.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kojak,
There's no sudden release of pressure. The smoke doesn't appear when I first unscrew the filler cap. It's a constant stream of smoke from the moment I start refuelling to when I stop. I'd record it on my phone but for the likelyhood of blowing the entire petrol station sky high. It's a bit worrying.
Thanks,

CH.

·
10,626 Posts
CH.

Haven't seen a post like yours for a while on here or BabyRR.

Back in the early days this was commented on regularly on the forums.

It was/is a characteristic of the car!!

I saw it twice on our first coupe, and as far as my memory serves me, it was not a problem.

Maybe Ryan at LRCS would like to comment.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have had mine for nearly 2 years, and just last weekend I noticed some 'smoke' when filling which I do not recall seeing before (but Mrs LT uses it and fills it more than me). Looks to be a bit of vapour releasing from the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
Thinking about it,As it happens during filling, especially if your tank is practically empty its probably whats going in than whats residing in the tank.
Or going back to my 1st thoughts, you have (some) fuel in the tank at one temperature and a different temp going in.
I stick with my thought (and that of Laser Tam) that its vapour flashed off even though pressure seem all but irrelevant in this case.

·
10,626 Posts
Oh, just to add, it's not smoke, thank heavens but as kojak said it's vapour, forgot to mention that in my previous post.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have seen it on a number of occasions, as far as I am concerned it is diesel vapour (think of it as tiny droplets - or diesel fog)

Whilst I wouldnt want to find out the vapour should be far less flammable than petrol vapour/fume that you sometime see coming off a petrol tank being filled.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for coming back to this thread late. Seems that it's probably normal then. Makes sense about it either being vapour from diesel going in or caused by the diesel in the tank being at a different temp to the stuff going in and causing a bit of a reaction. I'll just hold my breath when refuelling from now on I think

Thanks,

CH.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi CH,

I have noted that too on my RRE, but I also experience a problem filling the car, the flow of fuel into the car is at such a pace you get the dredded click click with the fuel pump so I have to put fuel into the car at a snails pace. Re-fueling is usually about a 10 min process at the moment.

One thing I have noted is that I was under the impression that RRs had ironed out all the issues and the only reason I bought a RR is that I always used to laugh @ family members with the HSE Sports and Vogues with all the constant issues finally they all switched. I bought one now they regularly laugh @ me if these problems continue it will be the shortest love affair with Range Rover ever and I will switch within a heart beat like I did back when Mercedes were rubbish and never went back.

JP

Edited by: JPEvoke

·
Super Moderator
4,883 Posts
JPEvoke said:
Hi CH,

I have noted that too on my RRE, but I also experience a problem filling the car, the flow of fuel into the car is at such a pace you get the dredded click click with the fuel pump so I have to put fuel into the car at a snails pace. Re-fueling is usually about a 10 min process at the moment.

JP
It used to make quite a big difference if the nozzle was twisted around until you found the correct angle for the fuel to flow without a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried everything it seems to be a common problem no matter which way you fuel up its slow.
I wonder if other RRE owners have the same problem as it might be a new Gremlin ... either way I looked at a new car today and it is not connected to the Range Rover Family ...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Mine fuels up ok but as soon as the pump clicks don't try to squeeze any more in unless you want derv over your shoes. I've only fuelled car once and got the vapour showing. In 50 years of driving I've never seen this, the previous 2.2 Evoque never did it. Glad I'd seen it mentioned on the forum otherwise been worried.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Mine does it everytime - but then I am bad at leaving it until I have several orange lights flashing on the dash - so maybe that's the fumes I have been running on making an escape!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
TopIx details:

Reference SSM72501
Models Discovery Sport / L550
Range Rover Evoque / L538
Title AJ200 Fuelmisting when filling with fuel
Category Engine
Last modified 04Nov2015

Symptom 404000 Fuel System Concerns

Content Issue:
Fuel misting may be seen from the fuel tank filler neck, with the fuel filler cap removed and when filling with Diesel fuel. Discovery Sport &Evoque 2.0 I4 Diesel (AJ200).

Cause:
When the fuel is returned to the tank from the engine, it is deposited into the swirl pot to maintain the fuel delivery performance of thesystem.
The recirculatedfuel is hot, so it may sometimes create a mist inside the tank.
When the car is refuelled,the mist may escape through the filler neck and can be seen with a naked eye.

This is a natural phenomenon and can only take place if all of the following conditions are met:
Low fuel level in the tank (approximately 10 litres or less).
Normal fuelling flow rate.
A temperature difference of 50 degrees Centigrade (or 122 deg. Fahrenheit or 323 deg. Kelvin) between the fuel inside the swirl pot andthe fuel inside the tank (Example: An engine has been run shortly before refuellingand there was not enough time for the mist tocondensate inside the tank).

Action:
No action required. Typically such gentle mist may form and escape the fuel tank if the above conditions are met.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Majeric - ties in with my comment then - that I am running on empty and when the orange flashing light starts to piss me off - pull into the petrol station - so low fuel and hot fuel

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yep!

the beast said:
Majeric - ties in with my comment then - that I am running on empty and when the orange flashing light starts to piss me off - pull into the petrol station - so low fuel and hot fuel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Oldgit!

I have exactly this issue! I've taken the motor to the dealer who tried fitting a new filler neck but it made no difference. They say they have never heard of this before and want me to take a member of staff to film when I next fill up. The mist is worse when it's colder but the overfill after one click just isn't right IMO.

It's really frustrating as its my 1st brand new car and I have issues already!

Has anyone else taken a MY 16 Evoque back to the dealer and had this sorted?

Cheers

DJ

1 - 20 of 77 Posts