Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone noticed when you do a sharp turn at low speed one rear wheel seems to skid/slip as if the diffs locked, I'm in the correct 4x4 mode so a little confused, I've owned Land Rovers (series 1, 2 and 2a) and never experienced this before, the Evoque has only done just over 13,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
Nope, definitely not a normal feature!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi No, other than this little glitch I find it runs great, I usually notice it when I pull out of a side street onto the main road pulling away gently and on lock.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you display the 4x4i function on the central screen it is surprising how often the central diff is indicated as being locked, even when just pulling away in a low gear on my vehicle. But, as far as I am aware, there is no mechanism for locking the rear diff other than the individual application of a brake.So, I guess, either your diff is faulty, a break is erroneously applied or could your rear wheel geometry be hideously out of kilter?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Can I ask, does it happen when turning left and right, or only in one direction? Left tends normally to be a sharper turn anyway (as we drive on the left) - have you tried a similar sharp right turn? The answer might aid diagnosis.

·
Registered
143 Posts
silverado said:
Hi has anyone noticed when you do a sharp turn at low speed one rear wheel seems to skid/slip as if the diffs locked, I'm in the correct 4x4 mode so a little confused, I've owned Land Rovers (series 1, 2 and 2a) and never experienced this before, the Evoque has only done just over 13,000 miles.
Do you know that a wheel is actually locking/skidding or is this another example of the infamous skidding or "chuffing" noise? Mine occasionally suffers from this but I haven't got round to mentioning it to the dealer yet. There is a very helpful youtube video where someone actually managed to capture the noise. Here is the link...you hear it right at the beginning:

<cite ="_Rm">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX0CqrpiKLw

EG
</cite>

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The title of that clip suggests it's a dodgy turbocharger making the noise, presumably you'd get that accelerating away in a straight line also?

·
Registered
143 Posts
AndyM said:
The title of that clip suggests it's a dodgy turbocharger making the noise, presumably you'd get that accelerating away in a straight line also?
In my case it's more likely too happen pulling away from a junction but I have also had it happen accelerating in a straight line. I don't get any sort of power loss and it really sounds like it's coming from the nearside rear. I know one or two folk on here have had a similar problem but I don't recall seeing a definitive solution. Interestingly ever since its got a bit colder it hasn't reoccurred. It's impossible replicate "on demand". Very strange.

EG

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Colder air might keep the turbocharger oil cooler and increase the boost pressure a bit, masking or stopping any vibration - at least that's a possible theory. Also it might just have decided to take a holiday, like annoying vibrations, noises and rattles tend to do, especially when you take them anywhere near a service centre

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
LRA at mine at the moment.
He just told me that they were warned about this this morning.
Not skidding. It's the egr valve blowing air down the exhaust making it feel like its skidding.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
majeric said:
LRA at mine at the moment.
He just told me that they were warned about this this morning.
Not skidding. It's the egr valve blowing air down the exhaust making it feel like its skidding.
I seem to recall hearing about this on previous models. Think it was described as a 'chuffing' noise by some.
Majeric I hope yours is fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Since the update - looks like thugs have started working again!
Will wait and see though. Car is going in Tuesday anyway for some other bits.

Not to go off at a tangent - I was told refilling the def takes 2 hours by a dealership today (not my local one!)
Surely that's not right.

·
10,626 Posts
How are they putting it in? 5ml syringe.

That's bonkers.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Apparently so!
So much for "drop in" service!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts