Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has recently bought an R-dynamic HSE. My initial plan when setting up the systems was to enable updates and the overall data connection through her phone as she has a lot of data. However this didn’t seem straightforward (unlike my Volvo s90) so I put a SIM card in.

Is there any way to have the car connect up and use the data from her phone using Bluetooth rather than have to use a sim in the car? Presumably I could set her phone up as a hotspot but in the Volvo you can do it all via Bluetooth.

My other option is connecting it to the house Wi-Fi when on the drive but presumably it won’t do updates etc when off.

What do you guys all do? Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji
118 Posts
I'm assuming from what you've said that you have a brand new M21 Evoque without a Sim card slot, in which event as far as I am aware the only options are connect to Wi-Fi or rely on the embedded Sim with 4G mobile data that comes with the Online data plan.

I'm yet to experience a software or map update so unsure whether the car can be 'woken' to download the updates or whether a notification is sent when there is an update to download but no doubt others can advise on this aspect.

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji
118 Posts
I'll just add the comments above to say the obvious that you could connect the car to the mobile hotspot on your wife's phone if you are notified that there is an update to download but not sure what you would gain unless your usage of connected apps threatened the fair usage policy of the online data plan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s not the brand new one, it’s a year old so it does have a SIM card slot. At the moment I have a sim card in it.

The difference is that in my Volvo I can have the downloads go through my phone (connected via Bluetooth) with the change of a setting. Is this possible with the evoque or is the only way to use the phones hotspot?

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
70 Posts
In my previous Evoque I used to use a SIM card. Worked perfectly. After a change to another provider I used the hotspot of my phone. worked just as good.

Think a "network" connection via bluetooth for a lot of data is not so reliable via bluetooth. Suppose this is also the reason why wireless CarPlay switches over from bluetooth connection to WiFi

·
Registered
MY20 P300 HSE R-Dynamic
107 Posts
I have this from Vodafone

30GB Data SIM Plan - 12 months Data Plan - £22

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have this from Vodafone

30GB Data SIM Plan - 12 months Data Plan - £22
I have put in a 30gb sim from smarty for £9 per month which is great but seems pointless when my wife’s phones has something like 70gb.

Looks like hotspot may be the way forward.

It’s a lovely car but have to say that the Volvo’s have the edge on the infotainment side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts