Evoque Owners Club banner

Side Steps aarrgg!

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Robwen 
#1 · (Edited)
I was an engineer by trade and I have fitted several sets of steps to 2 Landrovers, 2 Freelanders and a Porsche Cayenne and I have to say this kit is the worst fit by far.
I persevered however and after a few hours of forcing with levers and a car Jack I have now fitted one side. However this has now distorted the plastic sill so badly that the rear door now scrapes and i will now have to try and adjust that somehow.
The problem is that there is not enough room between the bracket and the sill panel - it looks to be about 20mm too high and forcing the step into the small space causes the distortion of the sill panel.

Is it me?

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you get the steps for the Dynamic model ? Different brackets for the SE models which might be your problem.

#3 ·
Getting side steps in the first place for an evoque was your main mistake!!!

Reactions: Yoda
#4 ·
I was originally sent the wrong brackets which were for the Pure / Prestige but following an email to the supplier, they swapped them over the next day (great service) and I am assured that these are right for the Dynamic - its just that they seem reeeeally tight. I followed the JLR instructions to the letter and they trial fit fine without the sill covers. I don't even have the side impact bars fitted so I am at a loss as to how these are fitted without problems.

Oh and I appreciate that the side steps are not everyone's cup of tea but I personally prefer the look of these genuine ones (not so much some of the aftermarket ones), especially on the Ewok ;)

Reactions: Maffy
#5 ·
I had them fitted (by the main dealer) on my Evoque HSE Dynamic Lux no problem. I personally liked them, set the car off nicely plus it was easier for the grandchildren to get in/out. Ignore grumpy Maffy. Not getting them on my Jag, I think it looks better without them.

#7 ·
See my earlier answer, veteran fitted his just a coiuple of weeks before tading his in!!! tells you something methinks!

Reactions: Veteran
#8 ·
Not because of the side steps, LR reliability!

Reactions: Maffy
#9 · (Edited)
I decided to keep going with the fitting because I really like the subtle look and didn't really want to go through all the faff with changing them, although it was certainly a snug fit! The rear door moulding just needed about 2mm taken off the bottom edge to make them clear the sills, or they just popped off when you closed the doors :( - no biggie but I shouldn't have to do that.

While I was at it, I fitted my 25mm spacers too. I really like the look!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Range rover evoque
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car

Reactions: Oboy and XZ4
#13 ·
Hi Donna, They are a stealth black version - LAF0390_2E I think. I preferred the understated look

#15 ·
Put these on mine, think they compliment the style of the car.
I did have to elongate the bracket holes slightly to get them to fit really close to the body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.