Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

Im currently debating whether to go down the Diesel or Petrol route on the new model .

With no service plan this time around I was wondering about Petrol v Diesel running costs .

I know the Petrol will be around 10/12 mpg less mpg and was wondering about service costs and intervals .

As a 7000 miles per year user with a good number of shorter journeys I was thinking diesel may see me called in for early oil changes and there is also Ad Blue to consider but I was told today the petrol requires a service every 12 months as opposed to diesel every 2 years ( all being well and DPF issue improved ) so it may all even out ?

Does anyone have a definitive on this please and which way would you jump?

Thanks

Rowbot

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Why no service plan? Just get the petrol with the plan, sorted.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,431 Posts
I think they stopped selling the service plans Doogi

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are only doing 7,000 miles with a lot of short journeys, I would suggest you don't touch diesel no matter what car you end up buying. There are stories, some on here, of people being in for a service 2 or 3 times a year with low mileage diesel Evoques. At 7,000 miles, the difference in fuel costs per year would only be about £300 extra for petrol. When you are looking at paying £35k-£50k for a car, £300 is not worth talking about.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,227 Posts
I believe they just 'suspended' Service Plans - for some reason...?

I had heard they would be offered again and just found this which confirms that:

COMING SOON - SUMMER 2019
Available from summer 2019, our impressive new Service Plans are specifically designed to keep the maintenance of your vehicle both cost-effective and convenient.

https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/service-and-maintenance/service-plan-benefits.html

At that mileage I think I would go for a petrol.
I found some text on a dealers site saying petrol service is once a year/10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would go for petrol.

Setting aside the unpredictable frequency (cost) servicing the Ingenium diesel engines, unless you are going to finance it with a PCP or similar, where you know in advance what the whole cost is going to be, the residuals with diesel cars are likely to be very unpalatable at disposal time.

I don't think diesel powered cars are going to gain in popularity in the foreseeable future and if the emissions barrier is raised again (i.e. EU7) then current EU6 cars will be worth even less.

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just throwing a curved ball into the equation what about getting a few quotes for a diesel on a lease plan with the future looking glum for car owners maybe this for some maybe a risk free better option if your choice is a L.R product ..

·
Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
I wouldn't be choosing a diesel now unless it was on a PCP with a guaranteed future value or on a lease. Just too much of a risk buying any other way.

I jumped ship from diesel to petrol last year because of the uncertainty and took big hit.

:

Reactions: Doink v.2

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wouldn't be choosing a diesel now unless it was on a PCP with a guaranteed future value or on a lease. Just too much of a risk.

I jumped ship from diesel to petrol last year because of the uncertainty and took big hit.

:
But if its on a lease what risk do you have ?

·
Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
But if its on a lease what risk do you have ?
None, I meant pcp or lease no risk. Too much risk otherwise. Edited my original post.

Reactions: Steve A

·
Registered
543 Posts
None, I meant pcp or lease no risk. Too much risk otherwise. Edited my original post.
I don't think cost will be much different either when you factor in everything.. Their is no escaping one factor here owning a JLR product isn't going to be an economical purchase choice with today's issues but we all realise that & still jump in :wink:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've had the RRs on PCP with diesel every time. However if I was buying either outright or on finance I would seriously consider petrol alternative these days. When looking at second hand Mercedes for the wife earlier this year it was quite noticeable that we could pick up diesel variants much cheaper than the petrol versions same level of kit. My mileage on the Evoques/Velar was approximately 6-7k a year had no problems apart from an oil change (dilution) at approx 10k. These days use the Velar for longer journeys and the Merc for short runs, seems to work out alright for us.

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
543 Posts
While I don't disagree entirely whats been said if you decide on diesel or petrol the next 5 years is very uncertain petrol could also be a gamble in my opinion hybrid at an extra cost maybe ... What we need is a magic crystal ball LOL...

Reactions: Maffy and XZ4

·
Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
Or buy a Tesla :grin:

Reactions: Maffy and Steve A

·
Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
Now your talking !! :grin:
My son and I are going for a test drive in one soon. He says he's having a Model 3 ludicrous performance model when he moves back to the UK later this year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm taking delivery of my P250 in September... had checked with the dealer re service intervals who advised... servicing intervals on petrol engines are yearly or 16k miles whichever comes sooner...

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
543 Posts
My son and I are going for a test drive in one soon. He says he's having a Model 3 ludicrous performance model when he moves back to the UK later this year.
Too rich for my blood XZ4 unless i win the premium bonds LOL...But will look forward to your review ..

·
Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
Too rich for my blood XZ4 unless i win the premium bonds LOL...But will look forward to your review ..
I think spec'd up it's £62k. Too rich for me too

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all for taking time out to reply and associated info, very interesting balanced views but along the lines I was thinking , only go diesel on PCP/Lease and Petrol if funding directly or via bank loan.

I was at the Dealers yesterday and road tested a D180 S Dynamic auto , the drive was superb in my view and I was given a PCP qoute but never having gone down the PCP route before Im struggling a bit with the concept and amount of interest involved but do realise the benefits , just not sure I want to pay the premium, plus Ive spent a lifetime of looking after my cars and keeping them up to 5 years and its a habit Im finding hard to break.

So Im now looking for a Dealer with a P200 to test drive before I jump in either way.

If anyone knows of one within reasonable distance of Staffordshire or has feedback through experience of the P200 I would love to hear about it.

Thanks again

Rowbot

1 - 20 of 37 Posts