Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booked in for first service next week and Dealer has asked me to ensure I bring both keys with me. Any idea why??

EG

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,958 Posts
Probably to change both batteries

Reactions: Earl Grey

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Wonder if it's a security update, removing any unused slots apart from the two for your keys, might want to see if any other slots have been coded in

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,896 Posts
Interesting, not something my dealer has asked for.
You should have asked why ?

I've seen on my previous service notes (older Evoque) they checked the key for 'delamination'. Perhaps if they were on the ball they should have asked me for the spare to check both!

When you find out please let us know the reason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should have asked why ?

When you find out please let us know the reason.
Will do when I take it in. Was talking to someone in a call centre when I booked it so thought it was unlikely I would get a sensible reply...?

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,570 Posts
Will do when I take it in. Was talking to someone in a call centre when I booked it so thought it was unlikely I would get a sensible reply...?
I would probably agree with your last statement.;)

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,570 Posts
Mine is booked in 10th Feb for its MOT & 5 year 80,00ml service (although it has only covered 47,500mls) My dealer has not mentioned anything about 2 keys. If you are going in before this date can you please let me know what the outcome was regarding the second key.
It is also booked in for yet more repairs at the same time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is booked in 10th Feb for its MOT & 5 year 80,00ml service (although it has only covered 47,500mls) My dealer has not mentioned anything about 2 keys. If you are going in before this date can you please let me know what the outcome was regarding the second key.
It is also booked in for yet more repairs at the same time.
It's going in next Tuesday 21st. I was never asked for both keys with my previous 2.2 Evoque so will be interested to hear the reason. I'll let you know...

EG

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
I was once asked for 2 keys to have the keys re-coded but that was years ago, wouldn't expect this to still need to be happening. Hopefully just battery replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,570 Posts
It's going in next Tuesday 21st. I was never asked for both keys with my previous 2.2 Evoque so will be interested to hear the reason. I'll let you know...

EG
Many hanks EG.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The battery in the fobs are non rechargeable, so that rules that out! The D3 and 4 were rechargeable, but as the key goes nowhere near the ignition lock, because there isn't one, it has to be an ordinary battery. The handbook tells you how to replace it!
I don't think you can recode the keys as they are once only flash.
If they were going to do something to the BCU then maybe both keys would make sure they both work when the work is done.
More likely is that any presets, particular to individual keys, seat memory etc. will be returned to the preferred setting.
Best

Ian

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so apparently they require both keys in case there are any security updates to be applied...

EG

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,896 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I wonder why others aren't being asked for both keys?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Wonder if that goes back to what I suggested in that they are making sure only two keys are coded to the car which will be the two keys they'll have, any more or any spare slots will be deleted

I'd hate to think someone at the dealers is coding a third key for their own illicit reasons?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts