Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Churchill have just given me their renewal quote which is 29% up on last year's premium. No accidents or convictions during this year, the only thing I can think of is that I reached 70 last November has anybody had this happen to them?
Shopped around this morning and Saga are coming in at under half Churchill's premium with a slightly lower excess. So I wondered if anyone on the the forum had used them and if so any comments, good or bad. Thanks folks

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I used Saga a few years ago and at first, they were good value. With both myself and my wife named on the policy, it gave both of us permission to drive other cars plus, anyone could drive our car as long as they were accompanied by either of us in a 'medical emergency'. So, basically, our kids could get to drive the long boring bits when we were going on holiday or going out anywhere on account of my temporary 'headache and blurred vision' ;-) After a few years, they went silly with their renewal prices so I left.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used Saga for some years and found them quite competitive. Never had to make a claim though. It's probably not just your age that's causing your increase. Due to new govt rules on personal injury claims all premiums are expected to rise by £50-75 this year. For instance I ran a test quote with Saga just before Xmas which was £168. Just ran another & the premium has gone up to £239 (I'm 71). The only reason I left Saga was that they did not insure Pano roof under the glass section of the policy so I went with LV who does. Wifey is still with Saga & has been for some years & she has free breakdown cover as a loyal customer. Never accept the renewal quote though as a phone call always gets the price reduced. If they won't reduce premium I let policy lapse & take out new one ( with same company) online as it's always cheaper.Edited by: BobH

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have had my car insurance with the NFU since 1972 (Mini 850cc Countryman - about £50 per annum if I remember correctly) and they still give me a competitive rate! Anybody beat that?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your comments, much appreciated. Pity about Saga and the pano roof but with the premium saving might be worth a gamble. Will try NFU but they were expensive when trying for son's Focus. Just had boat insurance renewal through not particularly attractive despite 11 years ncb. Looks like a couple of days phoning around.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Oldgit

Be aware that the standard Saga policy offers unlimited driving abroad (EU) cover which makes them a no-brainer for our particular purposes.

I find every other firm caps the EU cover at 60 days (or even less) in any one year, although some will extend their standard cover in return for an unspecified additional premium.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts