Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop start is not working and boot doesn't always close so pretty sure its down to the secondary battery. When talked it through at Land Rover they said they would need to put it on the diagnostics at £120 to tell me the problem. They also said that it had to be reprogrammed if a new one was put in. Is this correct?

He did say that the diagnostic would also check the main battery too and if I had to replace both batteries it would cost about £600 for both battery replacement!!!!

The car is 51/2 years old so highly likely the battery is starting to fail. Can this be done by a non Land Rover garage or does some reprogramming have to take place?

Thanks for the help and input

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think a new battery should last much longer than 5 years. I recently replaced the original 2005 battery on my MG TF, and it was still usable even then. 14 tears or so....... The car is little used (18500 miles or so from new), but if used for more than a couple of weeks, it is put on a battery maintainer until I next drive it, which of course will be quite unnecessary on a normally used car. The car has never failed to start first time. Let's hope that coninues!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I should have said that Stop/Start often doesn't work for a whole variety of reasons, nothing to do with the battery in most cases.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,088 Posts
Stop start is not working and boot doesn't always close so pretty sure its down to the secondary battery. When talked it through at Land Rover they said they would need to put it on the diagnostics at £120 to tell me the problem. They also said that it had to be reprogrammed if a new one was put in. Is this correct?

He did say that the diagnostic would also check the main battery too and if I had to replace both batteries it would cost about £600 for both battery replacement!!!!

The car is 51/2 years old so highly likely the battery is starting to fail. Can this be done by a non Land Rover garage or does some reprogramming have to take place?

Blimey £600! That sounds like a complete rip off...

You can buy a new main battery for around the £120 they are charging for the diagnostics!
There are lots of 'new battery' threads here to look at. The question of whether the BMS (battery monitoring system) needs resetting or not often comes up - but many people have reported back that they changed their own battery with no problems. I think the feeling is the BMS sorts itself out over time.

EDIT: Looking up batteries on the Halfords website I see they have this note for stop/start AGM batteries:
"Most vehicles will require this battery to be registered with the on-board computer system, therefore professional fitting at a Halfords store is strongly recommended."

They charge around £30 for fitting an AGM battery.
Let us know how things work out as this question often comes up :)

I'm not sure about the secondary battery.
People have disconnected them to turn off the stop/start function in the past - so I'm not sure that's related to the power tailgate.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I know this discussion was a year ago (give or take a couple of days) but my stop/start stopped working & the boot lid doesn't always open (unlocks but won't go up) plus when turning on the ignition I get an on screen warning immediately to start the car or the system will shut down in 3 minutes.I have got the Exide EK151 AGM auxiliary battery on order but hoping my local garage will be able to fit it without issue, and was wondering what was the result in the end.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,088 Posts
@thealiendad The aux battery is only for stop/start so it sounds like your main battery needs some attention.

See my recent post:

PS - It's worth updating your forum profile with your Evoque year and spec as it will help with answers :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this discussion was a year ago (give or take a couple of days) but my stop/start stopped working & the boot lid doesn't always open (unlocks but won't go up) plus when turning on the ignition I get an on screen warning immediately to start the car or the system will shut down in 3 minutes.I have got the Exide EK151 AGM auxiliary battery on order but hoping my local garage will be able to fit it without issue, and was wondering what was the result in the end.
Eric - what came of this? my 65 plate evoque ocassionally shows "low battery start engine" and the start stop isnt working and the electric tailgate isnt working consistently. i had the main battery checked by garage and it was in perfect condition. ive tried using a battery conditioner but the issue doesnt resolve for good. I understand i may need to change the auxullary battery but im struggling to find the answer to:

1. will this auxillary battery solve the startstop and tailgate issues?
2. where is this battery ? its either near the main battery, or under the glovebox but I cant work out which .
3. how much should this cost? a garage has quoted £110 for the battery and £177 for fitting which sounds absurd

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,829 Posts
My 65 plate Evoque didn't have an auxiliary battery. The one near the glovebox is only on 6 speed autos and is for the gearbox not the stop start as far as I'm aware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts