Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Evoque Prestige Lux Aintree Green
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well we had our Evoque outside our house for the 1st night and when I went to get in the car we noticed someone had put a screw in the tyre!!! (jealousy we reckon) took it straight to kwik fit for their opinion coz it was near the wall of the tyre, 1 bloke said, after taking the screw out, I think its ok, next the manager came out and he said no I think there is a small hole there, £200 for a new one!! (scorpion verde) anyway we drove away, 5 hours later it is still up. the screw was only maybe an inch long and screwed in about half way at the most, so hoping it holds! fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,745 Posts
Shocking behavior, as you say, probably some jealous idiot with an "If I can't have, why should you" attitude.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Gutted for you. Some people........ What goes around comes around (hopefully 😬)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just been out there to check the tyre etc and it seems ok so maybe it didn’t put a hole in it! I’m sure there would of been some deflation by now !!

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Hopefully you got away with it,
people are just animals and tossers-my biggest hate in life are people who are jealous, what a waste of emotion, caustic, destructive and spiteful-the world unfortunaly is full of them-hate it.
I have never ever been jealous of anyone or anything-you make your own luck, breaks etc etc .
Rant over!!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
With my experience of tyres and punctures, I have come across many large screws in rear tyres. Never in the fronts and the reason for that is that the front tyre goes over a screw or nail laying flat in the road which flicks it up and it is then caught by the rear tyre following the same path so don't automatically assume it was a deliberate act. Could just be bad luck.

Reactions: JB/KB

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I am saying it was a deliberate act, is because kwik fit said where the screw was in the tyre there was no way I had driven over it as that part of the tyre does not even touch the road and they also had to use a screw driver to unscrew it out of the wheel, they said if it had been in a position in the wheel where I could of driven over it they would of just been able to pull it out and not had to unscrew it out of the tyre, it would of been better if I had just driven over it and it had been bad luck as my wife wouldn't be so worried about the car parked outside the front of the house.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,892 Posts
Still might not be malicious....
I don't think KF's explanation is right. Force a screw into something and it won't pull out smoothly like a nail. The thread will always mean it needs to be turned.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
69 Posts
That is bad, but if the tyre has stayed up it is not leaking. I tend to agree with you if it was sticking out half way either it was deliberate or it happened just before you parked up. If you had driven much on it it would have either worked in or out of the tyre in my experience.
Always need to be careful the tyre structure is not damaged but a small screw penetrating half an inch is quite minor. It’s your choice but I would tend to leave it and just keep an eye on the pressure.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
We had a similar occurrence some years ago at our golf club - several of the cars, when driving off, had punctures with screws in their tyres!
The local Merit Tyre shop did a great trade that day!
As a 'repair', they put inner-tubes in.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To be honest I would be more p*ssed off with Kwik fit for trying to rip you off with buying a new tyre. How can the manager say he thinks there is a small hole, it either lets air out or it doesn’t and can be proved in seconds with some soapy water.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,951 Posts
Had to take a picture of this that happened to a customer of mine. Doubt I'll ever see one like this again. 8" punch right through the tyre and wheel and the tyre did not deflate because the shoulder of the punch sealed on the inside of the rim.

Reactions: JB/KB and Trevorguy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blimey that’s shocking, can’t believe what some people do, makes mine seem daft now compared to that !!

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,745 Posts
Was this malicious or just some freak accident?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Damage is damage wether it’s slight or more serious JB/KB. The intention was still the same. You still had to drive to Kwik Fit. It’s the inconvenience and expense .

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
Not malicious. Owner thinks it must have been sitting upright in an expansion joint on the local bridge as that's where he felt it.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
We also took a 5" long piece of 8mm thick car spring out of another tyre which from the outside you couldn't see where it had punctured the tyre. No pic of that unfortunately.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Dundee roads heh! Shocking Tsk-Tsk-Tsk.

Reactions: JB/KB and XZ4

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not malicious. Owner thinks it must have been sitting upright in an expansion joint on the local bridge as that's where he felt it.
We also took a 5" long piece of 8mm thick car spring out of another tyre which from the outside you couldn't see where it had punctured the tyre. No pic of that unfortunately.
You have seen some sights, take it that you work in a garage or a tyre garage then? as for the Bridge one, that was just unfortunate for them, bloody shocking though too!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not 100% sure it was malicious, but it has happened to others around her before!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts