Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,675 Posts
Holts Concentrated Car Screen Wash for All Seasons 4x5L = 20 Litre £21.95

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
50 Posts
Prestone concentrate (yellow) always good. Never used the pre mixed as I can’t do with paying for water 😂😂

·
Registered
975 Posts
Halfords berry flavoured stuff, I like the smell & it does a good job of cleaning the screen & was good in icy weather, but of course now I’ve got heated washers so that doesn’t really matter anymore.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,741 Posts
I don't think heated washers will stop it freezing in the pipework...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don’t know if it’s still the case but BMWs used to be notorious for the washers getting bunged up and the motor dying. BMW said it was because of the screenwash used 🙄 I believe they refused to pay out for a new pump under warranty if the system was gunged up as they recommended using their own screenwash which was a million times more expensive than anything else on the market.
We always used Preston’s in them and never really had a problem apart from one 2 series and that wasn’t as a result of the system getting bunged up.
I recently took my old TT for a service. I’ve only had it for just over 12 months and never needed to use the screenwash as it only goes out in the sunshine. The mechanic showed me a great big lump of jelly like gunk that he found in the top of the bottle so goodness knows what the previous owner had been using.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
More often than not, hot tap water!!

Reactions: Sadie

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I don’t know if it’s still the case but BMWs used to be notorious for the washers getting bunged up and the motor dying. BMW said it was because of the screenwash used 🙄 I believe they refused to pay out for a new pump under warranty if the system was gunged up as they recommended using their own screenwash which was a million times more expensive than anything else on the market.
We always used Preston’s in them and never really had a problem apart from one 2 series and that wasn’t as a result of the system getting bunged up.
I recently took my old TT for a service. I’ve only had it for just over 12 months and never needed to use the screenwash as it only goes out in the sunshine. The mechanic showed me a great big lump of jelly like gunk that he found in the top of the bottle so goodness knows what the previous owner had been using.
Yes BMW used there own formulation and if you used anything else it would gum up the system, block the pipes and jam the motor

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Halfords berry flavoured stuff, I like the smell & it does a good job of cleaning the screen & was good in icy weather, but of course now I’ve got heated washers so that doesn’t really matter anymore.
Berry good for your car colour, no good on a white car, leaves red streaks and water marks everywhere, I still use it though in the van

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I worked for a haulage company with another mechanic his theory was to not put screenwash in due to it can block the jets and screenwash filter and my theory was the opposite in that if you didn’t put it in they wouldn’t work anyway in cold weather. So I always used to put extra in to make up for what he wasn’t putting in! A case of no real right or wrong answer I thinks.

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | SE R-Dynamic | Panoramic Roof | Driver Assist Pack
124 Posts
Correct, BMWs are the worst for getting bunged up with mildew, hence I use their effervescent tablets during the warmer months (Cheaper and more effective) to combat this evil gunk and use Halfords stuff during the winter. Cheap stuff just breads mildew, try it by leaving a small amount in the container over a few months and watch the film of mould grow! This, and poor washer bottle design by BMW work hand in hand to screw up your washers!

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
and if its not raining, it's about to!!!

Reactions: XZ4

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,627 Posts
The saying is "If you can't see the hills it's raining, If you can see them it's about to rain" 👍

Reactions: DKZ5745 and Maffy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I avoid using the concentrate from Macro. It was very cheap but I ended up with blue bits floating in it, and a sort of jelly in the filter.
That's if Macro still exists - haven't checked recently!

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
+1 for Prestone, the cheaper stuff can tend to dry and block, although never had an issue!

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,967 Posts
Autoglym Ultimate, good for -45, will keep those British winters at bay!

....and there’s a helpful picture to show you how to use it. :unsure: 😀

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,675 Posts
Hmmm, 42p per litre diluted for this or 5.4p a litre for Holts diluted, I know what I'd choose!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts